Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I have a two years old golden retriever name Olive. She is a little ray of sunshine 24/7. Four days ago, I was trimming her paws and decided it would be a good idea to clean her ears too! That's when I realized she had one very dirty ear and one pretty clean one. I smelt them both because I know smelly ears equal infection. And one was quite smelly, but there was no redness and Olive never really showed any discomfort . So I've been cleaning that ear every day since then, hoping I could clear what looks like the beggining of an infection. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with ear infection. If so, is it normal it is still smelly and dirty after four days of cleaning it? I will add some photos so you guys can see. It does look cleaner but the smell tells me it's not back to normal... I will get a vet appointment next week if it's not better!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
I'm glad you're getting it checked. It looks like an ear infection to me.

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,261 Posts
I'm not familiar with the product you're using to clean her ear with.

Are you soaking the cotton ball with it, inserting it in her ear, rubbing the base of her ear then wiping her ear out with a clean cotton ball?

I use a mixture of equal parts water, white vinegar, and alcohol.

Good you're planning to have your Vet check her ear.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Dog's have an "L" shaped ear canal that can be very hard to get at. Your vet uses an Otoscope to see down there, and should teach you how to regular cleanings.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. Olive looks like a sweetheart. Yeah, I think that dirty + smell = ear infection. Keep cleaning it daily (it does look much better than day 1!) but if that smell doesn't completely go away within a couple of days, I would def bring her in to the vet to get an otic antibiotic.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I strongly recommend moving your vet appointment up to the 1st available appointment. Having raised Beagles that got ear infections on a regular basis , since those floppy ears did not allow for air to get in those ears..I will say that even if they don't appear to be in pain..most likely if infected (and it does look so), they are hurting!

I am NOT a vet, but infections have a bad habit of spreading to other areas!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts