Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, me and my partner got our dog Cooper four months ago from a breeder in Ontario. We were told that Cooper was a purebred Golden retriever and we saw both of his parents they looked like purebred Golden retrievers. However, now that Cooper has grown into his features he does not look like a golden
retriever. Everyone who meets Cooper mentions that he looks like a terrier because he has these white hairs on his face that are really long. I am going to post a picture of him below and please let me know if you think you know what kind of bread he is. He is 6 months old now. We love him regardless but we just want to have a little bit of clarification on his breed so that we can feed hi
appropriately and train him appropriately. Thank you so much and advance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
He looks like the "wiry" type of goldendoodle to me. Do you know if the breeder had any poodles?

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,950 Posts
No doubt that is not a pure bred Golden. Way way too long of hair on the face. Cute as heck though!

Looks like it could be mixed with a terrier or a poodle. Though I'm getting terrier vibes.

He looks like an old guy with the long hair on his face. Maybe a Benjamin Button pup?

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,220 Posts
He sure is cute, I am guessing from the hair above his eyes, around his nose and chin, he's got some terrier in him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He’s very adorable! I agree though, he does not look like a purebred golden to me.
He looks like the "wiry" type of goldendoodle to me. Do you know if the breeder had any poodles?
Thank you! Yes I looked up that type of dog and he does look like the straight haired golden doodles! No they said that they have only breaded goldens, but who knows if they were telling the true :(

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,950 Posts
I would have to go with they are lying to you about that. The evidence unquestionably shows that pup out not pure bred.

If you payed any kind of decent amount of money, like probably over 300-400 I would be asking for that back

·
Registered
7,679 Posts
All it takes is a random dog happening by and a bitch in season. This is not a purebred Golden puppy- he's darling cute but he's not a Golden.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the response! Do you guys think he has a bit of golden in him? Here is his side profile... yes we payed nearly 1000 for him because we thought he was “purebred”

·
Registered
27 Posts
We could all learn something from your experience, if you were willing to answer some questions that beg to be asked.
How did you find the breeder.
Did you get a pedigree of your dog
are the parents registered with AKC or CKC ?
did the dog come microchipped, dewormed and with first set of inoculations from the breeder?

There is always a possibility of a "throwback", people who don't know any better crossbreed and then sell the pups as whatever they look like, rather then what they are. More likely then not there is a lovely Schnauzer somewhere in your pups foggy past.

BTW, he may turn out the best dog you ever had, somehow that's the way life seems to work out sometime :)

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
He's 100% adorable!

If you have to know, Wisdom Panel is a very accurate dog DNA test. We've done four of them out of curiosity (all rescued as adults).

·
Premium Member
18,165 Posts
He's 100% adorable!

If you have to know, Wisdom Panel is a very accurate dog DNA test. We've done four of them out of curiosity (all rescued as adults).

Funny story, Wisdom panel says the black dog in this picture is a St. Bernard/German Shepherd mix. 35 lbs, 17 inches at the shoulder. The Golden next to her is your average size adult female.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
mylissyk

They must have mixed up the samples. All four they're done for us have been spot-on accurate. Most recently, Bailey, who we adopted 2 years ago as a 11-year-old senior (I met her when she was one, in a shelter kennel, and found her a home, but they fell on hard times, so we very happily adopted her).

I can see every breed they reported back in her. Same with the other three dogs we've had tested by Wisdom Panel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts