Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how to write text under photos, so I'll try my best to explain each photo.

1st photo - I call this the "Ground Level" of the backyard. There's quite a bit of pavement. That should be okay for a dog, right?

2nd photo - View from the top of the stairs of the retaining wall (as seen in 1st photo). There's a stretch of extra space around the side of the house.

3rd photo - "Top Level" of the backyard. Whilst there is a lot of space to run around, unfortunately I don't think I can allow the dog up here unattended because of the high retaining walls (see 1st photo). :( The ground is also sloped which might be an issue? I will need to block the stairs with something.

4th photo - The front of my house has playing space, but again, it's held up by retaining walls (see 5th photo) which poses a danger to the dog.

5th photo - More space to play on the bottom level in front of my house.

6th photo - Around the side of the house, more space.

Obviously I would only allow my dog to play on the front lawn of my house when I'm with him/her.

Apparently my backyard is bigger than my friend's who has three goldens.

So let me know what you think - Is it enough room for a big dog?

Thank you!

Attachments

·
and Kaylee
270 Posts
Definately big enough for a golden as long as you walk them enough. If you put a fence on top of the retaining wall then you could let the dog play there with out worrying about them falling down. Just some star pickets with plastic mesh between them. You can buy all that from bunnings.

Good luck finding your new family member!

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum:D

The real question you must ask yourself is... is your couch and bed big enough?
Goldens are not the kind of dog that should be left out in the back yard for significantly extended periods of time alone. Goldens love to be with their families and therefore do not choose to spend a lot of time outside. They also love to run and walk with their families so taking them out for lots of walks and mental stimulation is also very important, way more important than the size of your yard.

Your yard looks great although I agree that the back yard retaining wall could be potentially dangerous. Young goldens think that they are immortal and will jump down to crazy distances especially while they are in zoomie mode in the blink of an eye.

Good luck:)

·
Noreaster
2,077 Posts
You do know that laundry is coming down in heartbeat and getting spread from one end to the other, right? Quite possibly with the addition of new, large holes? Nothing more fun to a dog than leaping up to grab things dangling from the sky! :)

Do you have any traffic on your front road? That's the only thing I see...if he/she's out there with you, a leash or a long line would be a requirement.

I agree with others--the yard doesn't matter as long as you have the time to get your dog out for exercise for an hour to two hours a day, if you get a young dog.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your responses and welcoming me to the forum.

I'd like to point out something - I am not keeping my future dog outside for long periods of time. He/she will definitely be inside. I was just asking about the backyard because I thought it might not be big enough for a quick backyard play time. Of course, I'll be taking him/her for walks on a daily basis as well. :)

Noreaster - There is rarely any traffic! Perhaps one car every 5-10 minutes, at a very slow speed, especially since my house is situated on the edge of a road turn (if that makes sense).

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Hooray we are glad to hear that s/he will be an indoor pup:) Thanks for clarifying :)

I would not count on the front yard for play sessions as many goldens have compulsive greeting disorder :p running out to greet gardening neighbours over driveways or other dog walkers is also a hazard. You have a great bottom yard and the walks will provide the energy release your pup needs.

As long as the pup has enough mental stimulation (ie involved in as many family activities as possible) then your pup will be fine. Having your parents around to dote on and admire will also be great for the pup and for them:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts