Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Thanksgiving approaching I just remembered something a friend who owns goldens told me. She said that turkey is toxic to goldens. I don't see how this could be true I have never heard this anywhere else. Has anyone else ever heard this?

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I just googled this question and found all answers to be 'it's safe'.
One woman was even asking about feeding the neck raw to her dogs and it was said to be fine too. There are some dog food formulas that have Turkey in them. I've seen a canned version called Turducken which has turkey and duck.

There is the chemical in Turkey that makes us tired, the name escapes me right now...maybe that's what she'd thinking of. We'd need to eat copious amounts for the effect to take hold.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
I do know that turkey skin, with all that fat, can cause pancreatitis which can be very serious. That may be what she is thinking about. And of course you would not want to give them the cooked carcass with the cooked bones.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
There is the chemical in Turkey that makes us tired, the name escapes me right now...maybe that's what she'd thinking of. We'd need to eat copious amounts for the effect to take hold.
Tryptophan. :) Our dogs get turkey once in a while and have never had problems.. I have never heard anyone say that it is toxic before and I really don't believe it is. However, it could cause a problem in large amounts.

·
16,000 Posts
As Linda said, it is the fat, particularly in the skin where so much is concentrated, that can cause pancreatitis. In fact, it is known as Holiday Pancreatitis, since incidences increase dramatically during Thanksgiving and Christmas in both dogs and cats.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking it was safe. My dogs have always had a little turkey on Thanksgiving. They have never had any issues.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Actually, turkey is one of the few meats that Bogey's tummy can tolerate. He loves it, and I love it because it's lean. I never ever give him the skin though, which others have already warned you about. He either gets fresh slices from the deli or sometimes pieces of a fresh-cooked breast, but never bones or skins.

If you are looking for a good article about keeping your dogs safe during the holidays with all the different foods around check out these two:

http://www.everythinggolden.com/holiday_safety.htm

https://www.fetchdog.com/learn-conn...-Your-Dog/D/300600/P/1:5:55:602/I/AR000010760

1 - 9 of 9 Posts