Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

"Is it time?"

2064 Views 33 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  HoneyHeart
Boy do I hate that question. I've had to face it too many times, and I will have to face it many more times. But every, single one of us will have to decide when it's time to let our beloved dog go. So, I thought I'd invite everyone's thoughts and experiences on this, as I'm sure people will find something helpful or comforting in the responses.

Personally, I'm pretty aggressive in deciding when it is time to euthanize a dog. I've second guessed myself so many times -- Did I wait too long? Did I do it too soon? -- that I've just come down on one principle that guides me: I'm not going to let the dog suffer just because I'm not ready to let go. So if there is no prognosis for recovery, I will put the dog down before he starts to suffer. I would much rather err on the side of euthanizing a week too soon than be one minute too late. I want his last day to be a good one, not one spent suffering.

This is Chelsea on her last day.

Dog Carnivore Whiskers Fawn Companion dog

Chelsea was a marine rescue dog and had saved lives and been in the news. She was almost 15. Chelsea had osteosarcoma from which she would not recover. When her pain meds stopped effectively controlling her pain, we made the choice to euthanize her. On her last day we gave her every good thing on earth that she wanted to eat. And while she had trouble walking, she loved chewing on sticks and branches, so we gave them to her, without worrying about what it might do to her intestines. We let her eat and chew to her heart's content, and we loved on her like mad, and then the vet came over to the house, and we let her go with me holding her and petting her and telling her what a good dog she was.

And we've done the same with every dog since then.

I tell this story because I want to urge others here to tell their story and give their opinions without fear of judgment. Whatever decision we make, it is the right decision so long as it is informed and well-reasoned. Everyone's decision is their own. But we will ALL face this situation, and I think it might be helpful to others looking for comfort or for support for their own decision to read what other people do and think.

So, without judgment, criticism, or concern, please tell me how you deal with this thing we will all have to go through (and which I went through twice within the last six months).

Thanks.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,315 Posts
At 17+ years old , I fear I will be facing this again all too soon with Chumlee. Makes me sick to my stomach and weepy just to type the words.

My last dog Sophie was 15+ years old and had been diagnosed with oral cancer. I know she also had a bit of dementia going on. We made a decision that when we saw that her enjoyment of life had obviously diminished, that would be the day.

I saw a couple of family dogs allowed to linger too long until I felt they had lost their dignity and I swore I would NEVER do that to any dog of mine.

We woke up in the morning and she seemed "off". Within a couple of hours we knew. She didn't grumble at the cat as she did every day. She had absolutely no use for the cat but she never hurt her. On this morning, Sophie allowed the cat to rub her head on her face and then the cat even groomed Sophie a little bit! Next she wouldn't let me out of her sight. She stared at me constantly and kept following me around although she looked so tired. As the final test I offered her some cheese, She never, never refused cheese. But that morning she wouldn't touch it. I made the call and we let her go later that day after spoiling her and loving on her to her last moment on Earth. Strangely, the cat followed her to the Rainbow Bridge a mere 10 days later.

I sometimes second-guessed myself and wondered if I should have decided sooner but honestly Sophie seemed quite happy and content until that day. That's the criteria I use. If life is more of a struggle than a joy for my dog, then it's probably time.

I'm praying that I will be brave when Chumlee's day comes in the likely not-too-distant future.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts