21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So inevitably, Denver has a hot spot which isn’t shocking considering he has been in the water for the past 3 days pretty consistently. I dry him with the dryer before bed every night, this is his second hot spot in his life, and in the same spot he had the other one last summer. Right behind the corner of his mouth, a bit in front of where his ear flap lays. I have a feeling he sleeps on that side and there is just enough moisture there to cause a hot spot. So he will be taking a break from the water for a few days, poor guy!
What kind of dryer do you use?

I use a K9 III forced air dryer, and am able to avoid hot spots. That dryer is really good at getting them dry down to the skin.

But I also have dogs whose coats don't retain a lot of water; they are practically dry 5 minutes after they are out of the water, so part of it might be that.

·
Super Moderator
947 Posts
What kind of dryer do you use?

I use a K9 III forced air dryer, and am able to avoid hot spots. That dryer is really good at getting them dry down to the skin.

But I also have dogs whose coats don't retain a lot of water; they are practically dry 5 minutes after they are out of the water, so part of it might be that.
Using a little metro air force dryer currently, and I towel dry his head vigorously until he is damp-dry. I don't know what it is about that spot on his cheek. Same spot as last year and I dry and dry until he feels dry to the touch so maybe there is just enough moisture left on the skin that I can't feel it and the bacteria starts to grow? Same as last year this happened after a day full of swimming at the lake...and all of a sudden there was a hot spot by the end of the day. Generally I'll let him swim with us for the day, and then full dry him at the end of the day. Maybe I need to make him get out of the water after half the day so he isn't wet for that long....I hate hot spots and I hate that you essentially have to shave them bald to get them to go away. Every time I even think about cutting his coat I want to cry! :(

·
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I love this thread! Were in CT and the weather is about in the 60s. While we dont have an outdoor pool Leo has been going out swimming daily. I was wary at first because of his history with hot spots but he is really thriving this year and no allergies yet!! Leo loves swimming he cant see a body of water without dragging us to it! Heres some pics of his swims View attachment 873310 View attachment 873311 View attachment 873312
Just a little aside: I'm not a fan of his harness. That style harness interferes with the movement of his shoulders, and can cause an altered gait that eventually results in arthritis in old age and raises the chance of injury. I'd get the kind that allow for free shoulder movement.

This style cuts off full range of motion. Notice how it cuts off whole muscle groups and denies free movement of the joints.

My top suggested harnesses are:
Anything that allows full range of motion in the shoulders and biceps.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice. I hope it didn't offend you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just a little aside: I'm not a fan of his harness. That style harness interferes with the movement of his shoulders, and can cause an altered gait that eventually results in arthritis in old age and raises the chance of injury. I'd get the kind that allow for free shoulder movement.

This style cuts off full range of motion. Notice how it cuts off whole muscle groups and denies free movement of the joints.

My top suggested harnesses are:
Anything that allows full range of motion in the shoulders and biceps.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice. I hope it didn't offend you.
Not at all offended. One thing that I like about the forum is that we all learn to become better dog owners and educate ourselves on certain things. Thanks for your suggestions! I didnt know about that at all. Now I feel kind of guilty and hope I havent done any damage. I was just looking into getting another harness or just ditching them in general since hes not pulling as much anymore. We mainly used it as a training tool since it was what our trainer suggested.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I wish you'd post a photo of Piinyon swimming. You only posted one of him FLYING! :D
Swimming photos aren't very interesting, usually just a dog head above water. A link to a video instead:

·
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Here’s Ziggy at dog beach recently ... View attachment 873464
Huntington Beach. I used to love taking dogs to that beach.

But now I have way too many dogs to do that. I'd be washing sand out of them for days. LOL! :D Ah, the good old days. :)

That last photo goes back to 2006, and the dog lying in the sand was 14 years old, a retired marine rescue dog. She was too old to swim in the ocean anymore, but she couldn't keep out so we threw toys for her to retrieve in between sets of waves. It was where she truly belonged. She died a couple months after this photo, but was able to live a good doggy life right up to the very end.

Thanks for stimulating that memory.

💗💗💗💗💗

21 - 32 of 32 Posts