Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not for you, for your dog(s)! Mine never really stop, but they are doing it daily now. We're in SoCal and it's 85 degrees today. The dogs LOVE the pool.

I've never met a Golden who didn't love the water. Do yours get to swim? Where? Pool, ocean, pond, lake, river? Let's see some wet dogs please! :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
We went swimming Tuesday. Stella basically thinks the pool is hers and she swam for a good hour and a half! Didn’t even care about having a bumper or not. It was non-stop swimming. Noelle went swimming for the first time at 5 months and she was kind of like “oh god!”

We swim at a dog pool that is open year round but I waited until warmer to take the puppy.

Noelle’s first swim!

videos here of both swimming!!

http://instagr.am/p/CAZIEQcJjbl/

·
Super Moderator
883 Posts
The last time i brought them swimming was in march before all pools closed ): even the beach is closed now!
so this is a major throwback of some pictures taken back in March. before Covid, they swam weekly.
IMG_5985.jpg

Monty & lily are the ones with the bright red & teal coloured leashes

IMG_6712.jpg

random picture of my chihuahua at hydrotherapy because his face is HILARIOUS.
96F12178-A7D4-46D4-AFDB-66817300B1F4-7378-000003920626D0BC.jpg

230D9181-1F9A-4B7E-B1B8-4B31EB4C93D7-7378-000003927438881F.jpg
84902434-cb69-465c-ae04-0e97410a6b7b.JPG
Screenshot 2020-05-22 at 5.00.40 PM.png

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
Oh yeah....Denver has been swimming since the ice melted 😂

My dogs in the past have all been waders, they would stand in the water up to the shoulders and look for fish, but they weren't goldens so they didn't have the love for swimming like Denver does. My family has a lake house, and Denver will swim literally the entire day if we let him. Sometimes I make him get out of the water to take a breather...he does not want to stop!! We also have a river and a bridge along our walking route, and he is obsessed with staring at the current of the river from the bridge too. He's a water dog for sure.

Swimming in 45 degree weather. (Note the ice in the background)

Swimming at the lake last weekend.

Swimming with friends at the pond.

Staring at the river from the bridge..wishing he could go in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I love this thread! Were in CT and the weather is about in the 60s. While we dont have an outdoor pool Leo has been going out swimming daily. I was wary at first because of his history with hot spots but he is really thriving this year and no allergies yet!! Leo loves swimming he cant see a body of water without dragging us to it! Heres some pics of his swims

·
Registered
12,660 Posts
Dana and Diane.. your pools are gorgeous.

We had a very cold, wet spring. Truly, this is the first nice weekend we have had. So the water in rivers and lakes would still be pretty cold. We haven't been swimming at all. Probably not for a few weeks..

·
Puddles
3,684 Posts
Love the pics... thanks to everyone that shared!

Not sure my golden had a "right time of year" to swim. Pretty sad when your golden stands outside the door with ice cycles for fur! Process for returning to the inside was to use your hair dryer to defrost before you can towel them off. This rescue was my intro to the world of golden retrievers :)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Dana and Diane.. your pools are gorgeous.

We had a very cold, wet spring. Truly, this is the first nice weekend we have had. So the water in rivers and lakes would still be pretty cold. We haven't been swimming at all. Probably not for a few weeks..
Thank you! Luke, my last Golden, so loved the pool. Logan is well on his way. I was laughing today because Logan was out there and he will step right onto his float with no qualms and it's a cushy unstable surface. I ordered him a wobble board and this makes me think he will have no issue with it once it arrives. Poor baby couldn't go all the way into the pool today though -- just the 12" deep area -- because he has some yeast in his ears.

·
Puddles
3,684 Posts
Thank you! Luke, my last Golden, so loved the pool. Logan is well on his way. I was laughing today because Logan was out there and he will step right onto his float with no qualms and it's a cushy unstable surface. I ordered him a wobble board and this makes me think he will have no issue with it once it arrives. Poor baby couldn't go all the way into the pool today though -- just the 12" deep area -- because he has some yeast in his ears.
p
poor baby. Yeah all my kids, their friends and pups used to line up to get their ears washed out after a dip in the pool The OTC swimmers ears seemed to work just fine for the daily after swim drying agent. LOL this is when I miss my pool :-(

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
p

poor baby. Yeah all my kids, their friends and pups used to line up to get their ears washed out after a dip in the pool The OTC swimmers ears seemed to work just fine for the daily after swim drying agent. LOL this is when I miss my pool :-(
I always used malacetic otic for Luke and it worked like a charm. I would gently fill his ear canal and rub it for about 10 seconds. I tried to do Logan’s with a wipe since he was so young, but I should have stuck with the tried and true method.

·
Read Only
1,180 Posts
Great photos! Yes swimming time here in Bordeaux too but Buddy has recently been banned from our beautiful shared pool because his fur keeps clogging up the filters. So I now have to take him on a 30/40 minute trip to the lake which is not far but he absolutely hates the car so it is a long 30 minutes for him. What I have noticed recently over the past year is that he is less and less motivated to swim. He has Always loved the water but these days I have to throw the ball closer and closer because he won't go far out, he seems unsure of himself, and he gets bored quickly. Do you think he could be associating the lake with the dreaded car ride?

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
So inevitably, Denver has a hot spot which isn’t shocking considering he has been in the water for the past 3 days pretty consistently. I dry him with the dryer before bed every night, this is his second hot spot in his life, and in the same spot he had the other one last summer. Right behind the corner of his mouth, a bit in front of where his ear flap lays. I have a feeling he sleeps on that side and there is just enough moisture there to cause a hot spot. So he will be taking a break from the water for a few days, poor guy!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts