Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 10 month old male, Cooper, who is just the sweetest and most gentle dog. He loves puppies and plays well with all other dogs (and also lays down to snuggle with my indoor bunnies). We want to get a buddy for him because we see how much he loves playing with other dogs. He is neutered.

I emailed a local breeder today about getting on her waiting list and was shocked when she wrote back to say she normally does not adopt males to families who already have a male..and when she does we do not get to pick the male, she has to pick one who would be good with another male. She warned about male aggression and dominance issues with two males.

Im just wondering if she is being overly cautious or if this is normal. She comes very highly recommended and her next breeding is an amazing litter. We really want a male and cant imagine our sweet Cooper being anything but an amazing big brother.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I have two males and they are the best of friends. I can see why she might want to pick the male puppy, but have no idea why she thinks that two males would have dominance or aggression issues. Maybe if they aren't neutered?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
That's weird.. my two males are best friends.

I'd be concerned if a breeder is worried about her puppies having aggression and dominance issues.... says something about the general temperaments of her litters I think. Just my opinion!!

·
the party's crashing us
4,418 Posts
Is Cooper neutered? Or do you plan to neuter him in the future? Same question about the potential future puppy. If one or both are neutered you really shouldn't expect any problems at all.
Even if both are intact with a clear leader in the household (YOU) you should not have problems given both dogs have good temperaments. Goldens in general do not have same sex aggression "issues" like a lot of breeds do. Yes, boys will be boys and you can't expect strange intact males to be best friends off the bat but dogs raised together? Shouldn't be a problem.
I've not heard of a golden breeder with this same opinion.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Many people have 2 even 3 males with no problems at all. We are going to be getting our second male this winter. I really don't understand what her concern is. I have never heard of that before.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Cooper is neutered and we would have the second male neutered when he was of age as well.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I have 2 males as well as 2 females..... The males dont have any problems getting along.... Now the girls, thats another story...To the day every 8 months the girls get into a nasty fight...

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
We have a 10 month old male, Cooper, who is just the sweetest and most gentle dog. He loves puppies and plays well with all other dogs (and also lays down to snuggle with my indoor bunnies). We want to get a buddy for him because we see how much he loves playing with other dogs. He is neutered.

I emailed a local breeder today about getting on her waiting list and was shocked when she wrote back to say she normally does not adopt males to families who already have a male..and when she does we do not get to pick the male, she has to pick one who would be good with another male. She warned about male aggression and dominance issues with two males.

Im just wondering if she is being overly cautious or if this is normal. She comes very highly recommended and her next breeding is an amazing litter. We really want a male and cant imagine our sweet Cooper being anything but an amazing big brother.

Thoughts?
Goldens usually get along with either sex. Your male is neutered and young, there should not be a problem. I do understand her wanting to pick the pup for you though, breeders usually try to match each pup with the best family. Because you have an older pup who may be very puppylike still she will want to match you with a more confident or playful pup so he doesn't feel overwhelmed by your bigger baby.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can see both sides. A 10 month old male that is not fully developed (mentally and emotionally) and then adding another male who will go through adolescence and young manhood at the same time can be difficult- but it doesn't have to be. In goldens this is seldom an issue and really shouldn't be. Remember that male goldens tend to mature slowly so it may be the boys are 2-3 before any issue comes up. We see it a lot in resuce at this age with housemates. I agree that there should not be any problem if both are neutered and you are very clear that you make the rules in the house. It does depend on each dog's personality and that is why it would be even more important for the breeder to help choose which male would be more laid back and have a better chance of getting along with his new brother as they get older. Many people make it work great and I am sure you will be able to. Don't write off the breeder if they are trying to be extra cautious and making good placement decisions because we need more of those! Every litter has more dominant dogs and more submissive ones so it doesn't necessarily mean that breeder has a temperament problem in their lines just because they are covering all angles. Remember they don't know your male yet so it may be more concern over that then their own puppy. Just explain your goals and the thought and prep you have put into it and I am sure they will understand.
Christina
www.heritagegoldens.com

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I have three males and they all get along beautifully. I have never had a fight or any problem at all. They are best buds! :)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I agree with this totally. I'd be more concerned about the breeder than about having 2 males. It doesn't speak well of her lines that she has that worry.
When I took Tito back to visit his breeder, she brought his father out to play with him. Both are intact, his father actively studded. I asked her if she thought they'd have an issue (Tito was just about 18 months old) and she just laughed. Said not a chance, they'll be fine.
And they were.
I'd seriously consider another breeder.

That's weird.. my two males are best friends.

I'd be concerned if a breeder is worried about her puppies having aggression and dominance issues.... says something about the general temperaments of her litters I think. Just my opinion!!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Opposite sex dogs are known for getting along better than same sex dogs. That being said, same sex dogs can get along just fine, especially two neutered males. Females are a whole other story. Seems that once they decide they don't get along, it's forever and it's nasty. I have three males right now. Will only ever have one female at a time.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Honestly, I was taught that it was best not to have two of the same sex in a pet home. It is not so big a deal with Goldens but it can be with some, especially if they are not matched well. You do not want to end up with 2 strong alphas, and bitches can be much worse than boys.

I know my lines and know that my dogs are fine but I can't speak to the dogs owned by pet people, nor to how well they will handle any issues that come up.

My preference is still to place a puppy of the opposite sex with a family that already has an older dog, regardless of breed, unless I know the family and the dog very well.

That said, a family is getting a male puppy from me as a companion to their older male but only because not only do I know the breeder of the older Golden, but he is from my lines as well, and these are very savvy pet owners.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with you Linda. I usually advise to alternate genders. Nothing to do with temperament or aggression but I have seen this work very well for the general pet owner. I'm not saying I don't place when they are the same gender, just that I ask more questions, especially when they are so close in age. Maybe those responding (or asking) are not the average pet owner and have prepared themselves for owning multiple dogs and that is why there are so many great examples of how well it can work? I know there are always exceptions but there are a ton of dogs in rescue because some families can't make it work and have to give up one of the dogs -so I think it is great that a breeder is asking more questions before placement. I think the original question was concerns about the breeder and not about if this could work. I am just saying don't write off a "very highly recommended" breeder because they are asking questions instead of just assuming it will work.

Christina
www.heritagegoldens.com

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
I have 2 males as well as 2 females..... The males dont have any problems getting along.... Now the girls, thats another story...To the day every 8 months the girls get into a nasty fight...
That cracked me up, I know the girls are both spayed but that sounds like hormones!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
We have (2) unaltered male goldens - Nyg is 2 1/2 & Razz is 10 months. To date, we haven't had any problems with aggression and don't expect any. There have been times when play gets a bit rough but I let them know that that type of play will not be tolerated & put a stop to it.

Today we have my daughter's 4 year old golden girl (spayed) and our May who is 7 months. The World Wrestling Foundation took place today but it was all in good fun but I must note that the girls were the main instigators! :uhoh::uhoh:

·
And Hunter's too!
980 Posts
I have 2 males that are the BEST of friends. One I got as a pup and when he was about 1.5 years old we found a 3 year old on Craigslist. I took the young one to meet the other and they've been inseperabe, even tho the older one was intact. The younger one has been boss from day one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts