Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking into one of the recommended reputable breeders I’ve read so many good things about on here, but I’ve noticed that particular breeder has had quite a few puppies die. Either just one out of the litter, lost the whole litter or even lost the mom. Is this “normal” with breeding?

It’s so hard to know what breeder to go with! We lost our girl to cancer and I’m trying to find a reputable breeder that produces healthy puppies. So it scares me a little when I see puppies dying or dogs getting cancer younger than 8. I know a lot of it is probably environmental, but still want to make sure we pick a good breeder.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Yes. Most breeders I know have lost one or more puppies (sometimes whole litters) and several have lost the dam to complications of birth or pregnancy (one of many reasons I choose not to breed - no way could I come to terms with losing a beloved dog for the sake of having puppies). It doesn't hurt to ask (with compassion) why a pup or bitch was lost, but with reputable breeders is usually just one of those "stuff happens" kind of things...

·
Super Moderator
1,352 Posts
It’s totally normal, if not common for breeders to lose at least one pup in a larger litter. You can do everything right and still lose pups or the mom. It’s horrible, but usually not the breeder’s fault.

Think of all the risks for humans when they have babies. Dogs aren’t exempt from risk when they have babies either.

Additionally, reputable breeders put their hearts and souls into breeding healthy litters. They are breeding for themselves - not for you - and have put many hours into the breeding before it even happens. They love the puppies before they are even conceived. And they are the ones who have to deal with the loss on the front end. It’s heartbreaking for them to lose even one - think of how they feel when they lose an entire litter and the mom. A dog they have probably raised and loved since before she was born and now she’s just gone.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,684 Posts
Yes, it is normal. Each live pup & healthy pregnancy/whelping is a blessing. Breeding is not for the faint of heart as so much love, thought & hope goes into each breeding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts