Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it easier to train a puppy when you have older dogs in the house?? When I got Tucker he was my first dog ever so I had no clue what I was doing.

Does having two older well-trained dogs inspire a puppy in anyway?

Does seeing the dogs go out to pee and poop make the puppy realize "Hey... I should do that too?" or is there no kind of "role model" between dogs.

I know Tucker and Reece have learned bad habits from eachother (Why they couldn't learn the good habits from eachother is beyond me LOL).

Has anyone ever noticed puppies are easier to train with dogs when compared to just a puppy by itself?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had heard that an older dog will teach the new puppies. I have found from my experience that our pup is teaching our 9 year old new habits - and not very good ones!!! He is pulling the grass up by the roots, barking (which he NEVER did, unless it was a single bark). But he is also learning to play like a puppy again - so it all works out in the end.

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Yes. It's why I would never get dogs too close in age. You want the older dog to be set in his manners and good-dog behavior so he can teach the pup by example. Or outright keep the pup on the straight and narrow. :)

·
VickiR
239 Posts
Yes! I have 3 Goldens and they are all about 4 years apart in age.
The older ones do the potty training and many other things, including manners.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! That's good to know. I always knew I wanted to wait for another puppy, and I am thinking sometime next summer/early fall would be great.

Tucker will be 6 years old September 1st and I think he is well old enough to be a mentor.

Reece on the other hand... I dunno... she loves to bark and dig and chew up the grass... I'm hoping the two Goldens will stick together :lol:

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
This is interesrting. My house has never been without dogs since was 5yrs old. Every puppy we have brought in has had older dogs around. I do know that it is easier to teach yard boundries when I have the older dogs outside. As I call the puppy back I can call the older dogs and they all come running together. Everyone gets praised up.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm definitely going to be keeping track of the differences.

As someone who has raised a puppy on its own, to someone raising a puppy with older dogs around, I'm excited to see what kind of differences I notice.

I would like the puppy to learn Reece's great recall (cuz Tucker doesn't like to come back right away lol), but learn Tucker's non-barking unless its at scary shadows haha.

It could be a great research project, of sorts.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
All of my goldens are close in age,)6,6,5,4 I have found it easy to potty train them even close in age.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Close in age for far apart, having an older dog definitely sets the tone in the house when a new pup comes in. If you have problems getting your older dog to mind, then you will have a big handful when a pup comes along. So make sure your training is in order before a new pup disrupts your life!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We got a Golden puppy in May, and had a five year old (still do). I found the potty training to go much faster than with our first Golden. But as other allude to, the puppy may pick up some bad habits as well.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I think there's a lot of 'monkey see, monkey do' when it comes to same species. If one goes potty, they all tend to go potty.

I've often thought we should get our next puppy while we still have Penny to teach her excellent manners. But then I think that she's so exciteable I might end up with 2 nutjobs!!! :doh:

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I think it is much easier with a "nanny" dog. "Nanny kittens" are working pretty well right now. :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My Cannella follows Angelina around and does everything she does all day long! So yes, I think she is teaching her regardless if she wants to or not! Of course she will also teach her to bark which is bad but we are working on that!

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it certainly sounds like having multiple dogs has its advantages!

I'll just have to keep an eye out for any learned bad behavior haha.

Is it far-fetched to think that a puppy will just learn the good habits both of my dogs have? :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts