Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common for a Golden Puppy to bite?
My GR is 3months old and he always bite me. Like when i teach him to shake hands when i shook hands with him he suddenly bites. Whats the best way to deal with his biting?

·
Shandy522
57 Posts
Yes! It's very common for puppies to nip and bite at that age.

Have a look through the forums as there are a number of posts on it :)

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Yes, it's quite common. They're a mouthy breed, and they naturally use their mouths to initiate play. The key is to show him that biting makes you stop playing, and to show him what he can take out his mouthiness on (like a stuffy or a chew toy).

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
In my experience retrievers tend to be mouthy as puppies but grow out of it. Correct the behavior every time.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I have learned to keep toys within arms reach. When Cooper (10 wks) starts to nip, I substitute the toy instead and we play for a few seconds. I have tried other methods, but know this is going to pass in a few more months, so just try to redirect his mouth. So far it has worked but found many other helpful suggestions on previous posts that I will try if needs be. Just understand this is only a small stage they go through and before you know it, it will pass.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Right now when Wrigley opens his mouth when we are having our scratchy time .. He actually tries to do a somersault when we have our scratchy sessions, I say "no bite" and his head flops on the floor like "aw man, no fun!!!" but that mouth is shut!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the help i was getting worried he'd continue doing this. I always have to leave him with a leash so he wont mess some stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts