Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed two breeders in the Houston area: Apollo Goldens and Xcelerate Goldens. Both are recommended and have really nice dogs. I heard back right away from Apollo who informed me of upcoming litters in Feb and May. I emailed Xcelerate over a week ago and then again on Friday. I have yet to get a response from them. Is this a bad sign? Should I just try and call via phone or move on because the communication is lacking already? Any experience in this department for you guys?

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,602 Posts
It depends.

Breeders are often on the road at shows, trials, judging, etc. So they simply may not be around to answer your Email.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had the same experience when we started looking for our puppy. A few got right back to me but a few I didn't hear from for a couple of days. After meeting two breeders in person, I realized how busy they are JUST caring for their dogs. Let alone...if they work, they have a very hectic schedule. Be patient...it could be that they have puppies and are tending to them or as someone else mentioned - busy at a dog show. Most also have families that they need to take care of as well. I know you are extremely excited as we were and wanted a response to everything right away. I also think some are just better at email and attentiveness than others.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I would not read too much into it. Chances are they are away or busy at this time. Many breeders have a separate email address for puppy inquiries and their personal email. They may only check the "puppy" accounts once a week or less if there are no litters or plans on any in the near future.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said. They're probably just busy and haven't had the time to sit down at their computer and write back.

Especially at this time of the year, the holidays also keep busy people. I'd recommend giving them a call since it is faster and more personal, IMO.

Good Luck finding your new best friend.

·
Super mom! ;)
129 Posts
If you've emailed them twice, then I would try a phone call. If nothing there, then definitely move on. When we began our search, I emailed or called numerous breeders (even filling out one 5 page (8 by the time I finished it) application which was required before she'd even talk to anyone) and heard back from very few. I followed up with another email to the ones I was most interested in and if I hadn't heard from them after 2 weeks from the initial email, I came to the decision that I was not interested in dealing with them. If I had pushed the issue, I might have gotten ahold of someone, but if they are that hard to get ahold of then, what happens if I had a problem with my puppy? Could I reach them then or would they lose my email? Yes, they are probably very busy, especially at this time of year, but a quick email saying so and letting you know when things will settle down goes such a long way!

Thankfully, I found someone who referred me to someone who has emailed or called me back very quickly (waiting a day is unusual) and I couldn't be happier. My puppy isn't born yet, but when he/she is, I know that I can call or email at any time and I'm treated with respect, just as she (hopefully) knows that she can do the same with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I did go ahead and call yesterday. I got the answering machine and left a message. They might be out of town or something. I will give it a few days. It would be a shame to not hear from them as their dogs are just gorgeous.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It's also right in the middle of the holiday season, so it may take them a little while to get back to you. I wouldn't write them all off, especially if you already know that they are reputable breeders. It would be a good idea to follow up with a phone call and leave a message if you have to. Like Hank said, they may not check their email all that often. I'm sure they have every intention of getting back to you as soon as they have a free minute.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts