Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby thinks Lincoln is too skinny. Lincoln is 11 months old and I'm guessing he weighs around 70 pounds (I haven't had him weighed for a few months). I feed him 3 cups of high quality kibble a day and he also gets a heaping tablespoon of wet food in the morning. He also gets a few treats throughout the day. I can't see his ribs but can feel them if I put some pressure on them. He seems to be healthy, eats, runs, plays, poops normal, etc......I have no reason to think otherwise.

Hubby is concerned that Austin gets the fed the same amount but he is much thicker around the waist area...he may be a little too heavy. I just think they are built differently and Lincoln is perhaps going through his awkward stage.....

Anyway, here are a couple of not so great pics of Lincoln taken today....what do you think?

http://s574.photobucket.com/albums/ss188/LaurieW_2009/?action=view&current=DSCF3030.jpg&newest=1
http://s574.photobucket.com/albums/ss188/LaurieW_2009/?action=view&current=DSCF3030.jpg&newest=1

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
It would be easier to tell if you had a picture of him looking down on his back. Can you see ribs? You should be able to feel them easily but not SEE them.

From the side, he looks a lot like my Sammy who is very thin, but just extremely active and fit.

Edit: I skimmed your post too quickly and missed you saying you can feel but not see his ribs. Sounds good to me!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Lincoln looks and sounds perfect from your description to me. It is far better to err of the side of slim with this breed. Let's keep those hips in great shape for as long as possible. Keep up the good work.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
He looks perfect to me. At 11 months he's still a pup and filling out. Better to be on the slender side now with a little room to grow as he matures.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
He looks great. He's still growing and he'll fill out a bit over the next year, and slim as opposed to chunky is much better for his overall health.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
He looks fine to me!

You know me and DH are arguing about the same thing, he thinks Jack is to skinny he weigh's 83 pounds and is 4 years old.

I think he compairs him to much to Chloe wich is 100 pounds and needs to loose a few pounds for sure.

I can feel Jack's ribs but not see them, he is a very slim boy.

I like them on the slim side, less problems with trying to loose weight and I think they feel much better.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
It's tough to tell from a pic, but it sounds like he's just right. Maybe you can convince your husband to focus his energy on getting Austin to lose a couple of pounds rather than putting weight on Lincoln? "thicker around the waist area" isn't a good thing with goldens.

Keep in mind, the breed standard for a full grown golden retriever male:

Males 23-24 inches in height at withers; females 21½-22½ inches. Dogs up to one inch above or below standard size should be proportionately penalized. Deviation in height of more than one inch from the standard shall disqualify. Length from breastbone to point of buttocks slightly greater than height at withers in ratio of 12:11. Weight for dogs 65-75 pounds; bitches 55-65 pounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts