Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are from Connecticut and are looking for breeders close by. We stumbled upon Golden Gals and have been set on them ever since. I have always loved the English Cream coats and, while I know "English Cream" is often used as a flashy term, I've always wanted a lighter golden.

Website for your convenience; The Golden Gals

Looking for some guidance (be as honest as possible!), as this will be our first golden :)

·
Kristy
10,245 Posts
I would not pay $3,500 for a puppy without multiple generations of health clearances behind the parents. These clearances help breeders make educated decisions about how to choose the sire of a litter to minimize chances the puppies will produce health problems like elbow dysplasia. When the information is not there to see test results for grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins the breeder has less to work with. This is often the case when the dogs are imported from places like Ukraine and is inexcusable especially when the grandparents are from the USA which isalso the case with these dogs. You can do way better than this for this price.

If you are serious about giving money to a reputable breeder who is more interested in producing healthy puppies than making money, please slow down and do a lot of reading here on the "how to find a breeder" board - you can learn so much by seeing the questions others have asked and reading the responses given. GRCA.org is the parent club website and you can learn a lot about health clearances and genetic testing there.

It's not easy to find a carefully bred puppy this year, I am glad you're taking your time and trying to be patient. You will hopefully be living with your Golden for a good 10-12 years and you want them to be healthy and happy years. It's ok to have a color preference, but you will have better luck not being taken to the cleaners if you take the "english cream" out of your search parameters. Most people who breed conformation style Goldens will have lighter puppies and I promise that whatever dog you have in your family, you will think he or she is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I took in a male golden in June 2019 from previous owners that I later found out came from Golden Gals.

He is a beautiful dog with a temperament to match.

I have all his previous medical records and there were no issues and he is still a healthy boy.

Reactions: love_pups

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
GG has been discussed multiple times here- the search engine isn't the greatest for me or I would look up for you. Perhaps someone will.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
Thanks for sending this along!! I had seen that post earlier in my searches but wanted a more updated opinion. I wasn't sure if two years would make a difference :)
Not typically- doing things correctly when one has been shortcutting (memory- I didn't do any new research) is the opposite of what usually happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not typically- doing things correctly when one has been shortcutting (memory- I didn't do any new research) is the opposite of what usually happens.
That's too bad :( I will begin to look elsewhere! Thanks for your help.

Just to recap (and make sure I am understanding), when breeders do not have multiple generations of properly tested dogs (specifically for hips and elbows), they put puppies at higher risk for developing ailments such as elbow dysplasia which can greatly affect (and shorten) their lives? It is a red flag when breeders import from Ukraine because they do not perform proper health testing (?).

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Just to recap (and make sure I am understanding), when breeders do not have multiple generations of properly tested dogs (specifically for hips and elbows), they put puppies at higher risk for developing ailments such as elbow dysplasia which can greatly affect (and shorten) their lives? It is a red flag when breeders import from Ukraine because they do not perform proper health testing (?).
Correct!

I've also learned, though, to pay attention to birthdates, especially of males/sires, and dams well back in the pedigree. Doing as much testing as is currently done is fairly recent (maybe someone else can speak to how recent), and using frozen seamen from a dog who died many years ago is not unheard of, so a grandsire without full clearances is more concerning if their birthdate is, say, within the last 10 years, but much less concerning if he was born 20+ years ago... especially if he has the clearances that were expected back then (which I think was just hips).

·
Registered
9,495 Posts
elbows around 2000
hips late 60's/early70's
eyes before hips to my memory
hearts I'm not sure, I was doing them in the late 70's-ACVIM became an organization in 73 or 74 I think.

So- should someone breed to frozen semen on a dog who was getting clearances around 2000, he may not have elbows done and back then we didn't do eyes every year either. But frozen has the benefit of being able to see if SD produced ED in the offspring since he's long dead. Eyes are harder - I bred to frozen and the entire litter got JCs except my keeper but I placed her since I figured that risk was too great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts