Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what y'alls methods for potty training have been, and when you find you're having the most accidents. For Finn, I have a crate upstairs that he always sleeps in, and one downstairs that I got so that when we were gone he could be near his lab brothers- (He hated going in his upstairs crate when they were downstairs, and he's perfectly happy to go in this downstairs one- as long as he can see his "pack" I guess)

Anyway, because I've been home so much this winter, I've just been letting Finn out many, many times a day and I haven't been "crate training" , I kind of look at his crates as inanimate babysitters! I've been having pretty good luck with this- we aren't having any daytime "accidents", and he usually only pees in the house now after, (during) wild, crazy " I've lost my mind and doning donuts in the living room is So much fun" time at night. Seriously- we can bank on Finn acting like a nutjob from 7 to 8 every evening! We let him because I think it helps him sleep through the night. :crossfing

For me, I was totally intimidated by having a potty schedule via the crate, and I'm interested in how it worked for other people. Everytime I put Finn in the crate and proceeded to stay around the house, he would whine and then bark until I caved. (I know- I'm a whimp) Also- I think it's been VERY helpful having older dogs in the house who "seem" to be showing him the ropes of what's acceptable!

Sorry to be so longwinded!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I didn't crate train and my puppy was fully housebroken by 4-5 months old. He used a peepad in the bathroom and weaned himself off of it as he was able to hold it longer and longer during the days when I was at work. When I say "housebroken" I mean that was the age he stopped using the peepads altogether and just held it until I got home.

Crate training isn't the end all, be all, only way to housebreak a dog.. though I will say it does seem to be a valuable tool. Just didn't work out for my dog and he was no worse for the wear. :)

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
We really only used/use the crate at night or when we aren't home. I work at home so if I couldn't keep an eye on puppy I would gate in kitchen or tile hall leading outside (depends on what part of the house I was in.) And yes those 7:00 pm puppy crazies.... aren't they fun!!

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I have semi crate trained all my dogs and am planning on doing the same with my new puppy, once I get her ( I cant wait!)
I put them in the crate at night and when I wasnt home. Otherwise they would be out but I would watch them like a hawk...and take them out every 20 minutes or so, and after eating, playing, drinking, sleeping..and say go potty...and when they did it they got a treat ( a piece of their dog food) and praise praise praise!!!!!!! after a while I just did the praise outside and then when we got inside they got the treat.
This has worked for me in the past and Im hoping Holly (thats my puppy I get Feb 11) will be as easy to train as my others!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I swear by crate training. Both of our boys were potty trained very quickly using crates. Tucker was totally house trained by the time he was between 3 and 4 months old and Tyson is only 10 weeks old and is down to only about one accident a day with crate training. He has only had one accident in his crate in the 3 weeks we have had him and that was on his second day home. He hasn't had any since. Other people have been successful without crate training, but I personally would never do it any other way. A crate is also a safe place for them. Ours love napping in their crates and Tyson stays in his crate if we ever have to leave him at home while we go out. We have peace of mind knowing that he's totally safe in his crate since he's not able to get into anything that could potentially be harmful to him.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've never used a crate as a house training method. All the pups I've had have come home in the winter when I'm off work. So they are out and about the house all day with me and we go outside every 35 -45 minutes. It's a lot of work to get bundled up all the time, take them out and come in only to do it all over again. But they have all been house trained by the time they were 3 or 4 months old.
And the 7 PM puppy crazies??? What the heck is up with that? All mine have had little fits of the zoomies around that time and now Rookie is doing it too !!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
My last puppy came essentially housetrained. But all my dogs learn to love crates as a safety measure for when I can't supervise and because it's necessary for travel/emergencies/etc.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
I didn't use a crate for any of my dogs for the purpose of housetraining. Both of my young dogs were totally housetrained around 3.5 months old.....it was quick and painless. I only used the crate at night with Lincoln because he was so ADHD!!! Austin hated the crate so I never forced him to use it. I still use an exercise pen once in awhile for Lincoln when he gets his "crazies" (and he's 11 months old) and when I give them a bone to chew.....it makes him feel safe.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We really only used the crate for night and when we weren't home. Hank was gated in our kitchen, I watched him like a hawk and took him out every 20-30 min. until he was housebroke at about 12-13 weeks.

At 7 mo. he's still crated at night and gated in the laundry room when we're not home to keep him out of trouble.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
I love crate training and will always use it (though other methods work too). Scout was pretty well potty-trained by ten weeks with only a handful of accidents shortly after that (like less than I can count on one hand).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Holly never took to the crate in the house - we tried several locations but given the configuration of the house, none of them worked out. She does use it now to travel in my 4Runner to the vet and to the community park where we walk.

House training is going very well in spite of the lack of crate training because we have Holly in our sun room (9' x 18') that is open, with the exception of home-made baby gates, to the living room and dining room. She has a potty pad in the sun room that only gets used over night (pee only). Some nights it doesn't get used at all. She has been good about letting me know when she needs to go out during the day and since I'm retired, she has me around a lot. We expect to be completely finished with the house training in another month. :crossfing

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess we do the combo (crate and constant watch methods). At bedtime and when we can not be home he is in his crate (never an accident in his crate), when we are home he is out under constant watch. I wouldn't say he is completely house trained but its been one week to the day without any accidents. He goes to the back door and whines, if you do not move fast enough he starts to bark. He has now taken to us letting him out alone (entirely fenced in yard) doing his business, running around, and coming back to the door on his own. Once back inside he gets a little nibble for being a good boy. We still take him out immediately after eating/sleeping/playing hard regardless if he barks or not as a "just in case" measure.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We only used the crate when we weren't home and at night. If we were home she was out with us playing or sleeping. Yes we had a few accidents, but that was usually our fault for not watching her. We tried to take her out every 1/2 hour or so, with lots of praise or a treat when she went potty outside. She's been potty trained since she was around 10-12 weeks. And this week we've even started leaving her out of her crate when we aren't home. She's doing great. She hasn't destroyed anything, no accidents, and is usually asleep on the chair or couch when we get home.
I say do what works for you.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I'm a stay-at home mom, so I didn't use the crate during the day for potty training. I just watched Tess very closely. She's been without any accidents since she was 11 weeks old. She just whines when she has to go and walks to the door. I do use the crate when I go away for shopping. I also have an X-pen for her, that I use during the day when I have to go upstairs or outside or just want some quiet time! I would never leave her alone in the house unsupervised, out of the X-pen or crate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't crate train Milo at all, he was fully potty trained by 5 months. I puppy-proofed my home and kept a very close eye on him those first months, we would go out when there were changes in activity- eat, then out, play, then out, sleep etc. Worked well and he has learned what he is and is not allowed to get into, not completely fool proof, lost some shoes along the way but overall he is doing great!

·
New Dad
254 Posts
I dont use a crate. Honey has one and likes to sleep in there about 1/2 of the night and sometimes naps in there during the day. She is housebroken (unless she has been trying to be let out and is not). She will bark at the door when she needs to go potty. Shes been doing that since about 9 weeks. She is 13 weeks right now. I know crate training is not cruel and very useful but its just not for me. I dont like the confinement for my girl.

I can definately see how crate training not only helps for potty training but for all training.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I crate train. Would not consider anything else. I also have two crates, but only because I am lazy :p: I did not want to move crates from room to room.

We have a HUGE crate (great dane size) in our kitchen, we have it divided for now, Quinn is so small she does not need that space. This is her day time crate. From here, she can see the back yard, front window, front door, garage door, and the comings and goings of her "sisters" during the day. She is not off in a corner by herself all day long. Currently we do still have neighbors letting her out twice a day while we are gone, but I am thinking of starting to wean her slowly off that (over the next month).

In our bedroom is her sleeping crate. She goes in that only at bedtime, and she crashes and goes to sleep. It is a much smaller crate and until yesterday had it divided too.

Quinn is very good in her crate. I have not seen her go in to sleep on her own, but if you tell her to she goes in. If we can not watch her, we will put her in the kitchen crate when we are home, and she does just fine. She has been a really easy puppy in that aspect.

Ann

1 - 17 of 17 Posts