Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, rather embarassed to ask this . :eek: I hope it doesn't make me look bad. I am always feeling inadequate when it comes to loving him cos he's my first and only dog.

My Golden cries when he is sleeping. Almost 2-3 occasions per week.Either day naps or evening. He shakes and whines whines. He does it in the afternoon, he does it in the night also .

He cries like he is really sad in his sleep. I hear the whine and I wake up. When there's thunder storm he also cries in his sleep. Do they make him nervous ? Last night he got up and slept away from his place, far away from the windows where the storm can be felt.

Do dogs have nightmares too or is it stresses living with us human he gets bad dreams at night ?

My dog is not the affectionate type and he doesnt appreciate hugs so I just sit next to him or stroke his neck...then he will give a big big sigh ...:confused:

OR maybe I am really silly to ask this since , if he conversely has nice dreams, he wont be able to laugh out loud in his sleep right ? since dogs don't laugh. .. :uhoh:

Well.. sometimes, he does wag his tail in his sleep..
Does your dogs do that ?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
yeah Liberty is the one that yips and cries in her sleep...she also is the one that wags her tail in her sleep. Lexi howls in her sleep...the long, mournful sounds don't sound like any sound she ever makes while awake...

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I think it is normal. At various times we've heard or felt our dogs dreaming. We've gotten whimpers, cries, howls, squeals and even a few muffled barks that usually wake up the dog. Once or twice the dog doing the dreaming will wake up startled. The real "kickers", literally, are when they are on our bed and decide to go "trotting" in their dreams chasing wildlife or a ball, and the feet move, kicking one of us awake. Of course our favorite are the tail thumps that wake us up. We know at least someone is having sweet dreams.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I always figured they were dreaming. When Hank does that my granddaughter says "Hank's having sleep stories".

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
My dogs dream too, and they do make some very strange sounds. I don't think it's a sign of unhappiness.

As far as hugs, most dogs don't like them, especially when they're young. A hug is not something that makes sense in dogs' body language. They can learn to like it over time, but don't be insulted if your pup doesn't seem comfortable being held like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, for sharing.

I am glad other dogs have dreams. Yeah, we are all happy when their tail thump = sweet dreams

And btw...tippykayak ..I have come to terms that my dog really dont like hugs. When i ask " wanna hug ? " he walks toward the door, nose pointing to the door handle...:p:

But there are other gentler ways of showing affection ...Thanks for the heads up :wavey:!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would say this is completely normal. Harley makes all kinds of noises in his sleep. Whimpers, howls, cries, etc. and also "runs" and wags his tail. I like to think he is chasing squirrels or dreaming of bacon or something, lol.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Our dogs do that all the time too. It's totally normal. It just means that they're dreaming. :bowl:

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
They do all sorts of stuff. Angie used to have dreams of nursing when she was younger. It was so cute to sit there and watch her. We have to remind ourselves to let her be when she dreams because Katie (our Golden who died in December) would have nightmares that would trigger an epileptic seizure. So we'd have to wake her whenever she'd start dreaming.

My Wife used to crack up because I'd be in a dead deep sleep snoring away and nothing would wake me up but Katie could make the slightest whimper and I'd be instantly wide awake. It's strange how your mind works sometimes...

The hugging thing, most dogs don't like. We've been very lucky, Katie was OK with it but Angie absolutely loves it. She will crawl between us in the morning and snuggle in with her head resting on one of our necks. One of us will invariably throw an arm over her and she'll sleep that way for an hour or more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts