Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked a buddy of mine if he could use my dog as a stud. But them I was told that it will cause harm to your dog if you don't continue to use him for that. They said it causes some kind of anal problems. Does anybody know if this is true? I was cosidering getting him fixed but if he could breed and not be harmed by it, then I would maybe re-consider.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Is that the same dog you posted about with the agression problems? I'm sorry, but I don't think it's wise to use him as a stud...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I couldn't comment on the anal problems, but would say that there are a stack of issues you need to consider before even thinking of letting him be used as stud.

For starters, the health testing which should always be undertaken to ensure your boy won't pass on any hereditary problems aren't cheap. Also, has the bitch been tested to ensure she is fit and well? Mating two dogs together without any tests could spell total disaster...

Is your boy old enough? Dogs shouldn't be used until at least 2 years of age. Is he an excellent temperament? Temperament problems can be passed to the pups! Has your boy ever been shown/worked? This would ensure he has been looked at by breed experts and considered a good example of the breed.

The biggest problem I've been told is that if you use him even just the once, he will change his behaviour in that he will be more active in seeking out other bitches to mate with.

Have you ever handled a stud dog? I've only been present at one mating and it isn't for the fainthearted! If you don't know what you're doing your dog and the bitch could be severely injured... would you be willing to take the risk?

I'd be tempted to advise your friend goes and finds a proper stud dog, who will be used in a professional manner.

I had an entire GR for 12 years, and I would have never used him (even though I was asked several times - he was a stunner!). I'm happy with my decision.

I'd advise you enjoy your boy for what he is... a well loved pet! Good luck...

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Is that the same dog you posted about with the agression problems? I'm sorry, but I don't think it's wise to use him as a stud...
And if it is the same dog, besides the aggression issue, he is a mixed breed. What would be the point in breeding him?

·
16,000 Posts
And if it is the same dog, besides the aggression issue, he is a mixed breed. What would be the point in breeding him?

It would seem to me that the op's general level of experience in itself would dictate that breeding is not something that should be undertaken, even without the rest of the red flags. :no:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I saw this post this morning but after reading the first post on aggression 1 minute later a post about Rage syndrome 4 mins after that about breeding thought it was a wind up.
Sorry to the OP if its not just seemed a little strange

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would not breed him. Being a responsible pet owner, you should know all about the breed and do everything to improve the breed not just because he is goodlooking. Mine are all goodlooking dogs with great personalities but they each have things that are not within standard (except Bama). All dogs especially goldens have heriditary issues that are not seen unless tested. Those tests are expensive and cannot be done till he is at least 2 years old and the same for the female.
Enjoy your dog and leave the breeding to the professionals.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Breeding a male dog once, and never again, is not physically harmful. But, uh, why would you breed this dog at all?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts