Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Did the people who commented have huge (tall or overweight) dogs with them? Did they mention their English cream golden they have at home? Did they show you their veterinary license that says they’re qualified to make unsolicited comments on your dog? Lol.

Beckett has gotten so many stinking questions and comments about his weight and size and it’s exhausting! It really makes you second guess yourself, but like others mentioned above, a bit more lean is better for their health. A vast majority of pet owners do not know what a healthy dog is supposed to look like. Add in that a vast majority do not know what a well bred golden is supposed to look like, and you’ve got people constantly questioning you. Someone asked me the other day “so he’s not full golden is he?” while looking at Beckett as he held onto his own golden that was 4-5 inches taller than B🤦🏻‍♀️
If you can feel but not see his ribs, if the vet says he’s at a healthy weight, if he’s not trying to eat every single thing in sight, he’s probably okay! He looks fine to me from the picture!
Thanks for commiserating!!! The friend, I understand and yes her adorable pillow with legs is quite stout 😉. But a complete stranger!…just rude.

I have also received numerous comments about his swirly wavy coat. Since he doesn’t have the long silky coat down to the ground, a number of passerbys have insisted he can’t be a purebred golden. Sheesh, maybe I need to carry a briefcase with his paperwork to show skeptics. There are times when I have to bite my tongue because I want to be rude right back at them. Ahhh venting felt great!!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Many years ago we had a UK guest over who seemed genuinely surprised that our goldens weren’t overweight because the other American dogs he’d been around were so fat 🤦🏼‍♀️ If it makes you feel better, our boy was a little small at ~55 lbs (we always said he worried himself thin) but it didn’t do him any harm (lived to three weeks short of 16). How does Archie look when he’s soaked to the skin? It might be easier to judge that way. I can tell that my burly girl is a little too burly when she’s wet 😂
Well here’s another ding for Archie…he’s probably the only golden retriever who seriously hates water! 🤷🏼‍♀️😆🤪 Since he isn’t often wet down to the skin for us to see, he goes to a groomer, I don’t really know what he looks like wet. Now that we’re in MA and ponds are like Starbucks, one on every corner, we’re going to try to gently lure him into it a bit at a time this summer!!

Reactions: zinnia

·
Registered
Ramses
227 Posts
Thanks for commiserating!!! The friend, I understand and yes her adorable pillow with legs is quite stout 😉. But a complete stranger!…just rude.

I have also received numerous comments about his swirly wavy coat. Since he doesn’t have the long silky coat down to the ground, a number of passerbys have insisted he can’t be a purebred golden. Sheesh, maybe I need to carry a briefcase with his paperwork to show skeptics. There are times when I have to bite my tongue because I want to be rude right back at them. Ahhh venting felt great!!
Maybe a few choice words in French ? 🤭

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
1,155 Posts

How about a giant sandwich board sign that he can wear that says “I PROMISE IM FULL GOLDEN” 😂😂

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You guys probably always look too friendly which invites comments from strangers. You need a "Beware of Owner" look. I mean, who would sass this guy about his dog?.....
Forehead Glasses Cloud Sky Vision care

Or this guy?
Glasses Hard hat Helmet Vision care Cap

Or you could go with a completely blank look....
Cap Window Jaw Vision care Eyewear

Then you wouldn't have to worry about those types of comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
Ramses
227 Posts
He looks great to me. Logan is 23” and weighs 66lbs. I had a random lady tell me once I was feeding him too much because he looks overweight. I zipped my lips. :censored::ROFLMAO:
Your golden looks great - so neat and proper in all of your pics.. I'm surprised at this comment by a stranger.. Ramses on the other hand - looks untamed and wild... like he's perpetually rolling out of bed all the time 😂🤦🏽‍♀️

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Your golden looks great - so neat and proper in all of your pics.. I'm surprised at this comment by a stranger.. Ramses on the other hand - looks untamed and wild... like he's perpetually rolling out of bed all the time 😂🤦🏽‍♀️
Thank you and I’m sure Ramses is lovely. Do you blow him dry? Logan’s hair would look like mine if I didn’t blow him dry. 🤪

·
Registered
Ramses
227 Posts
Thank you and I’m sure Ramses is lovely. Do you blow him dry? Logan’s hair would look like mine if I didn’t blow him dry. 🤪
Oh yes.... I have the flying pig portable one.. but I admitted in another thread I am just blowing to get my ultimate goal which is he must be dry, there must be no hot spots and then of course the aesthetics are all lost in my thinking... Ramses' coat is all wavy - looks quite unruly and wild unlike Logan's (the shame .... 🙈🙈) Hahaha my hair isn't better, I fight with it everyday! My parents would prefer me to have Ramses all neat (like Logan) but oh no I'm transferring all my messiness to my dog as well... 😂

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to see this conversation, as the owner of a 59.6 lb 2 y.o. (almost 60, lol!!). I can't even count the times I have been told, "Oh, she's so small - is she really a golden, or mixed with something else?" My former golden, also a girl, was in the 80-90 lb range and definitely overweight. I am glad to keep our girl on the smaller side - as others have already said, it's better for them anyhow. I think it's true that people are used to seeing big dogs and sometimes at unhealthy weights. Your pup looks great to me from above!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts