Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
1,153 Posts
Did the people who commented have huge (tall or overweight) dogs with them? Did they mention their English cream golden they have at home? Did they show you their veterinary license that says they’re qualified to make unsolicited comments on your dog? Lol.

Beckett has gotten so many stinking questions and comments about his weight and size and it’s exhausting! It really makes you second guess yourself, but like others mentioned above, a bit more lean is better for their health. A vast majority of pet owners do not know what a healthy dog is supposed to look like. Add in that a vast majority do not know what a well bred golden is supposed to look like, and you’ve got people constantly questioning you. Someone asked me the other day “so he’s not full golden is he?” while looking at Beckett as he held onto his own golden that was 4-5 inches taller than B🤦🏻‍♀️
If you can feel but not see his ribs, if the vet says he’s at a healthy weight, if he’s not trying to eat every single thing in sight, he’s probably okay! He looks fine to me from the picture!

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
1,153 Posts
Thanks for commiserating!!! The friend, I understand and yes her adorable pillow with legs is quite stout 😉. But a complete stranger!…just rude.

I have also received numerous comments about his swirly wavy coat. Since he doesn’t have the long silky coat down to the ground, a number of passerbys have insisted he can’t be a purebred golden. Sheesh, maybe I need to carry a briefcase with his paperwork to show skeptics. There are times when I have to bite my tongue because I want to be rude right back at them. Ahhh venting felt great!!
How about a giant sandwich board sign that he can wear that says “I PROMISE IM FULL GOLDEN” 😂😂

1 - 2 of 2 Posts