Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Felidae Companion dog

Archie is at a steady 65 lbs., but I feel like he looks and feels too thin. I can easily feel his spine and ribs. I like to keep him on the lean side, but obviously don’t want to starve him. I didn’t even notice until 2 people mentioned it. One a friend and one a passerby with their dog on the street.

Reactions: Sankari

·
Registered
390 Posts
View attachment 893330
Archie is at a steady 65 lbs., but I feel like he looks and feels too thin. I can easily feel his spine and ribs. I like to keep him on the lean side, but obviously don’t want to starve him. I didn’t even notice until 2 people mentioned it. One a friend and one a passerby with their dog on the street.
Looks good to me. You should be able to easily feel his spine and ribs, you just don’t want the ribs to become visible. 95% of goldens I see walking down the street are obese, so I think everyone’s judgment tends to be off.

·
Super Moderator
Beckett
1,155 Posts
Did the people who commented have huge (tall or overweight) dogs with them? Did they mention their English cream golden they have at home? Did they show you their veterinary license that says they’re qualified to make unsolicited comments on your dog? Lol.

Beckett has gotten so many stinking questions and comments about his weight and size and it’s exhausting! It really makes you second guess yourself, but like others mentioned above, a bit more lean is better for their health. A vast majority of pet owners do not know what a healthy dog is supposed to look like. Add in that a vast majority do not know what a well bred golden is supposed to look like, and you’ve got people constantly questioning you. Someone asked me the other day “so he’s not full golden is he?” while looking at Beckett as he held onto his own golden that was 4-5 inches taller than B🤦🏻‍♀️
If you can feel but not see his ribs, if the vet says he’s at a healthy weight, if he’s not trying to eat every single thing in sight, he’s probably okay! He looks fine to me from the picture!

·
Super Moderator
456 Posts
I think laying down it's hard to tell, but he looks great to me! Whenever my dog is in a sit or down position, I always think to myself that he looks bigger than he is because of the displacement of body parts that happens when your dog is in those positions. A picture of him standing will probably be better for evaluation on here, but again, he looks great to me.

·
Registered
Ramses
227 Posts
Beckett has gotten so many stinking questions and comments about his weight and size and it’s exhausting! It really makes you second guess yourself, but like others mentioned above, a bit more lean is better for their health. A vast majority of pet owners do not know what a healthy dog is supposed to look like. Add in that a vast majority do not know what a well bred golden is supposed to look like, and you’ve got people constantly questioning you. Someone asked me the other day “so he’s not full golden is he?” while looking at Beckett as he held onto his own golden that was 4-5 inches taller than B🤦🏻‍♀️
If you can feel but not see his ribs, if the vet says he’s at a healthy weight, if he’s not trying to eat every single thing in sight, he’s probably okay! He looks fine to me from the picture!

I get this alot this comment alot too from several people back home. They keep telling me how their golden is taller so mine is small and that's not normal. And then of course, for me at least, the self doubts start to creep in as to whether I'm doing right by my golden. The weight becomes such a constant topic because some of these people who own Goldens tell me how their males are 40kg (that's a good 10 more than mine ).. So then mine gets called a shrimp (in French this means something else but the connotation isn't great). 😬

I think I felt better after someone here posted in a discussion about their golden named Rio - looks just like mine, actual height and weight too.. except mine has a lighter coat....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Many years ago we had a UK guest over who seemed genuinely surprised that our goldens weren’t overweight because the other American dogs he’d been around were so fat 🤦🏼‍♀️ If it makes you feel better, our boy was a little small at ~55 lbs (we always said he worried himself thin) but it didn’t do him any harm (lived to three weeks short of 16). How does Archie look when he’s soaked to the skin? It might be easier to judge that way. I can tell that my burly girl is a little too burly when she’s wet 😂

·
Registered
66 Posts
I get this alot this comment alot too from several people back home. They keep telling me how their golden is taller so mine is small and that's not normal. And then of course, for me at least, the self doubts start to creep in as to whether I'm doing right by my golden. The weight becomes such a constant topic because some of these people who own Goldens tell me how their males are 40kg (that's a good 10 more than mine ).. So then mine gets called a shrimp (in French this means something else but the connotation isn't great). 😬

I think I felt better after someone here posted in a discussion about their golden named Rio - looks just like mine, actual height and weight too.. except mine has a lighter coat....
Maybe you could teach him to growl at that word? 🤣 Just kidding!!! 😉

·
Registered
Billie
149 Posts
I think he looks great! My golden is on the leaner side too, also she still hasnt gotten her full coat yet so she looks really thin. My vet said she is perfect size and doesnt want her to get any bigger ( she is currently 68.8lbs). So I wouldnt take it to heart unless your vet tells you hes too thin. Also up here in the North East you tend to see the bigger fluffier goldens for some reason and even my vet said most goldens he sees are over weight.

·
Super Moderator
456 Posts
He looks great to me. Logan is 23” and weighs 66lbs. I had a random lady tell me once I was feeding him too much because he looks overweight. I zipped my lips. :censored::ROFLMAO:
I think it's the coat. Ours has a really beautiful luscious coat like Logan's, and a lot of people remark how he's big, but he's within the standard (albeit at the top half). I just tell people that he's mostly just fluff, hence his AKC registered name "prince of fluff." I mean he also does have a big boned structure and a huuge head too, both characteristics he got from his papa, but the rest is just fluff 🤣

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think he looks good from this angle at least. Has your vet ever said he seemed too thin? I think people are so used to seeing great big goldens they don’t know what to make of nice lean ones.
Vet thinks he’s fine and I keep up with breeder, who kept his brother, and he too weighs 65 lbs. I guess I was thrown a bit by 2 people saying the same thing. Made me 2nd guess myself.

Reactions: zinnia

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
from that pic and his current weight I will say he is fine. My boy stays right between 67-70 pounds and he is quite active.. How much are you feeding him?
I feed him 1.5 cups 2x per day. I do not feed him snacks, treats, or table scraps. When we do a heavy training day, I parse out 1 of his meals, so I can use his kibble as training treats.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts