Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last month Archie (11 months old) has started to do what I think is marking. I take him for a walk and he does a real pee, in a squat position, ((because he rarely lifts his leg 🤷‍♀️), then the rest of the walk it’s 2-steps, squat, dribble…2 more steps, squat, dribble…
1. Is this marking, or is he not emptying his bladder completely during the 1st pee?
2. If it’s marking, is it a behavior I can stop?
3. If so, how?

All responses are appreciated, even if it’s just to say it’s a normal behavior and there’s nothing that can be done.

·
Kate
23,007 Posts
Walking my guys in the middle of the road means they don't smell where other dogs have peed and don't feel incline to leave their calling cards as well. <= obv just walking on quiet neighborhood streets should add

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
Boys pee in fractions- probably a leftover thing from days when they roamed the earth needing to mark territory... but the 2 steps/dribbles do not sound like a solid fraction pee to me. If he does this more than a time or two each time after he pees a good pee, I would worry he has a UTI more than worry he's marking.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My boy does the squatting arching back pose for peeing. This is a prolonged pee.
However, during the on the lead part of a walk to get to the off lead destination he’s scenting a lot and he cocks his legs and does the marking pee’s, as Prism Golden’s says, it comes out in fractions.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
My dogs (male and female) are very deliberate when marking. Usually there is some time spent sniffing a particular smell, and THEN a brief pee on or as close as possible to that smell. Although it can happen frequently, it is not every two steps, and the boy(s) definitely lift a leg. If Archie is truly only moving a few steps between pees, and if he's not clearly smelling something before the pee, that sounds more like a UTI to me. I've had two girls get UTIs (one very frequently), and the single prolonged pee, followed by multiple small pees within a few minutes after the long pee was one of my red flags that a UTI might be starting...

·
Registered
13,666 Posts
I have a female marker. It's not every two steps, but she definitely will "pee" about 5-10 times on a walk, depending how long we are out for and where we go. It is very deliberate, sniffing a spot, maybe scratching it, then a short pee. If someone hasn't picked up, she will pee on that, and there are several heavily populated spots along our walks where she feels she must leave a little part of herself, too. I don't love it, but it is what it is, and at least I know she is always really empty by the time we get back!

Reactions: JulieCA

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I walk Logan in the road in our neighborhood and when we take "sniff" breaks he can pee. He definitely marks. Leg lifts for all. Squat dribble sounds like he could have a urinary tract infection. Luke, my last Golden, always squatted to pee.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boys pee in fractions- probably a leftover thing from days when they roamed the earth needing to mark territory... but the 2 steps/dribbles do not sound like a solid fraction pee to me. If he does this more than a time or two each time after he pees a good pee, I would worry he has a UTI more than worry he's marking.
Thank you for planting the idea of a UTI. First, I’m embarrassed to say that I didn’t know boys got UTIs. Now with this in mind, in the month we’ve been here in MA from CA, Archie has not been drinking near the water he had been at home. So much so, that I’ve taken to dropping a couple of pieces of kibble into his water bowl, so he laps up some water. Yesterday, he had a potty accident in the house. Was some dribbles before he let lose. He hasn’t had an accident inside since I don’t even know when! With all of that said, I’m going to make a call to his vet. Thanks again for making me aware of this possibility.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dogs (male and female) are very deliberate when marking. Usually there is some time spent sniffing a particular smell, and THEN a brief pee on or as close as possible to that smell. Although it can happen frequently, it is not every two steps, and the boy(s) definitely lift a leg. If Archie is truly only moving a few steps between pees, and if he's not clearly smelling something before the pee, that sounds more like a UTI to me. I've had two girls get UTIs (one very frequently), and the single prolonged pee, followed by multiple small pees within a few minutes after the long pee was one of my red flags that a UTI might be starting...
Thank you! I am making a call to his vet!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I walk Logan in the road in our neighborhood and when we take "sniff" breaks he can pee. He definitely marks. Leg lifts for all. Squat dribble sounds like he could have a urinary tract infection. Luke, my last Golden, always squatted to pee.
Thanks!! I’m making a call into his vet!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
When you see your vet, ask them if they would recommend this. When my male had a UTI, my vet recommended UT Strength Pro in addition to the antibiotic. We only used the UT Strength Pro for a relatively short time - maybe a couple of months. The UTI never returned.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PUPDATE: I took Archie to the vet today…glad we established as soon as we got here last month! He does NOT have a UTI. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
I had to go out with him this morning, with a jar, and as soon as he started to go, I had to collect urine! That was quite an experience, but he didn’t seem at all phased! The vet said everything looked good kidney and UTI wise. She felt his prostate and said that seemed fine too. Poor guy, during that exam, he turned and looked straight into my eyes with his eyes bulging 😱. She said to keep an eye and if it continues with the number of marking/dribs to bring him back. I have to say that in the last 2-days, while waiting for vet appointment, I took the advice of several posters and walked him down the middle of the street…it made a world of difference! Since he’s literally the new kid on the block, I guess he’s making sure that all the other dogs know that Mr. Cool Cali Boy is here! 😂

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Great news!!!!! And being established with a new vet right away is such a good thing 😄

·
Kate
23,007 Posts
Poor guy, during that exam, he turned and looked straight into my eyes with his eyes bulging
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Was going to say do not worry about a frequent squatter unless he's dribbling in non marking situations (around the house, wet spots sometimes where he sleeps, etc).

Walk where other dogs do not walk and will be less inclined to mark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts