Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just got my brand new golden retriever puppy two weeks ago and I'm interested in feeding her raw. She is my first golden retriever and even though I have had other dogs before this would be the first time I have tried feeding a dog a raw diet. I wouldn't prepare the food myself but use a good raw brand. My question is, is it safe to feed a puppy a raw diet? What are the pros and cons?

Thank you!

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
895 Posts
Hi! Although we didn't feed our boys raw from the beginning, they will be starting raw this month. From everything I have read, raw is safe for puppies as long as the raw food you are feeding has the correct calcium/phosphorus ratio. I found lots of information on Facebook and Google.

Good luck. Our next puppy will definitely be raw from the start!

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Yes, it is more than safe to feed a puppy a raw diet. The most important thing is that you ensure that it is complete, balanced and that you are feeding the appropriate amount.

I wish that I had started Brisby on a raw diet right from the start. It is truly amazing to see the difference a raw diet makes.

I also feed a prepared diet and add supplements, to it. Check out the websites for the raw food you are considering as they should give you guidelines on what their foods consist of, amounts to feed, supplements recommended etc. It's also good to throw in some organic kefir to the diet as a probiotic and digestion aid.

Lastly make sure the diet you choose is not HPP ( High pressure processed) as that destroys a lot of the goodness and nutrients in the raw food.

Good luck with your new pup...wishing you many happy times together!! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok great! Thank you so much!!! Has anyone tried Stella & Chewy's or Raw Bistro? I like that their meat is free range and produce is organic.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Ok great! Thank you so much!!! Has anyone tried Stella & Chewy's or Raw Bistro? I like that their meat is free range and produce is organic.
Stella & Chewy's is HPP. Raw Bistro is not.

Here is a good list from Dr Will Falconer, DVM:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/RawFood-Final%2017.pdf?token=AWzkebZJx1P1exlMLc40qZ2jfGy5LAFofnG4vwAJde1MUVikGbQfGJaCOmJJZdIPNUdpDzhuY11SVVMTi5nsD6YJ-aaS4HbfoNFVZH3iVsDCoeFChBRfiDQBHCBZWuGeLg99M3KLAqM-hy1XdhWVYw08KNeLrCdq4stMuLzL_oCZeQ

You need to be on Facebook to view the link.

Reactions: Melfice

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had Ruby on homemade raw for 2 years now and I, like the others, wish I would've started her on it sooner. There is a ton of info online (almost too much and often conflicting), but I've followed the standard 80-10-10 rule and each of her meals has 3+ different proteins. For organs I raid the local Asian market for chicken liver, beef/pork kidney, etc. I will also buy chicken feet, duck heads, turkey tails, etc from my local Asian market. I make a month's worth of meals at one time and freeze them in individual containers. If I had a puppy and was just starting out, I'd probably start with the pre-made raw too just to ensure it was properly balanced with vitamins and minerals.
I recently took Ruby to the vet and he was amazed by how clean her teeth were (she just turned 8), how shiny her coat was and how she had leaned up (our Goldens can easily pack on the pounds). Good luck w/ your new adorable puppy and venturing into the raw diet arena. Goldens really are the best and the raw diet has really benefited mine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Its very cool you want to feed your pup a raw food diet! I switched my dogs to a raw diet about 7 months ago, and there has been no issues at all. Raw food diet is safe for a puppy, but please make sure to research information so you feed your dog the correct amounts of meat, organ and bone :)

My one dog was a puppy at 7 months old when I made the switch, and he is very healthy on the diet.

Here is a good link with information on the raw food diets for dogs, and cats. I love the Raw Feeding, and Bone Calculators the site has, because it makes it easier to know how much bone content your dogs are getting etc.

Perfectly Rawsome

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I've had Ruby on homemade raw for 2 years now and I, like the others, wish I would've started her on it sooner. There is a ton of info online (almost too much and often conflicting), but I've followed the standard 80-10-10 rule and each of her meals has 3+ different proteins. For organs I raid the local Asian market for chicken liver, beef/pork kidney, etc. I will also buy chicken feet, duck heads, turkey tails, etc from my local Asian market. I make a month's worth of meals at one time and freeze them in individual containers. If I had a puppy and was just starting out, I'd probably start with the pre-made raw too just to ensure it was properly balanced with vitamins and minerals.
I recently took Ruby to the vet and he was amazed by how clean her teeth were (she just turned 8), how shiny her coat was and how she had leaned up (our Goldens can easily pack on the pounds). Good luck w/ your new adorable puppy and venturing into the raw diet arena. Goldens really are the best and the raw diet has really benefited mine.
What a beautiful dog you have!!! You are right about how their teeth become clean on a raw food diet! It's a big different between a raw and kibble diet when it comes to teeth. I wish I would had switched 5 years ago when I got Rusty my golden (instead of switching 7 months ago), but all of my dogs are on a raw food diet now :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am glad to hear you have gotten a puppy, finally! I was following your post on looking for an puppy. Would you mind telling me if you found a breeder off of englishgoldens.net? If so, which one? I am in the process of contacting the breeders now and would love to hear theres light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
CaliGolden what wonderful news and I am glad to hear you have gotten a puppy, finally! I was following your post on looking for an puppy. Would you mind telling me if you found a breeder off of englishgoldens.net? If so, which one? I am in the process of contacting the breeders now and would love to hear theres light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
We transitioned our puppy to Darwins soon after we got him at 8 weeks. We recently switched to Primal because it is easier when we travel. He has had excellent results with both.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts