Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 hours ago i was feeding Cooper his bug-off garlic tablets, and some garlic dust must have got in his eye because a minute later he came in the room with his eye half shut. The semi-transparent skin layer that covers the eye when sleeping was covering about half his eye when he opened it and his lower eyelid was drooping

I called the vet immediately and they said to rinse it out. I did and had to leave for a few hours. When i got back it showed improvement, but i can see his lower eyelid drooping and i can tell it's still bothering him.

Should i leave it alone and see how it looks tomorrow? Periodically rinse with water? Just take him to the vet tomorrow?

Maybe i'm being paranoid but im afraid whatever is going on might be causing damage.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Personally, I would wait at LEAST until tomorrow morning. If you see improvement I would wait continue to hold out before going to vet. If there is absolutely no improvement, or it gets worse, I would call the vet again and see what they recommend.

I would probably rinse it out again tonight (at least once).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It definitely looks like it's getting better, but it still looks a little weird (maybe just swelling).

Hopefully i'm just being paranoid.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would rinse it once more tonight before going to bed and then get him to the vet in the morning.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was still bothering him this morning, so i took him to the vet. They did an eye stain, flush with saline, and looked all around and couldn't find anything. They are worried that it could be some type of ulcer or something behind the eye.

It's really odd because sometimes the eye will look normal, then the next minute it will be all droopy and irritated. This symptom is what concerned my vet. For now he was prescribed an anti-inflammatory and an antibiotic for a week to see if that helps. Poor little guy looks so sad with his one droopy eye:( I felt so bad that i had to stop and get him a couple bully sticks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts