Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the neighbors kiddie corner behind our house have a golden named Barney. He's very sweet, but I've never pet him because I don't like to approach dogs I don't know without their owners around. Well today, as I was sitting here on my computer, I see Barney walk by my picture window. I walked outside to try and lure him home, but he had no collar on, and wasn't too interested in getting close enough for me to lasso a leash on him, lol. However, he did let me just barely touch him, and I realized for the first time that I don't know as he's EVER been brushed. The poor guy is covered in mats, and he's so dirty and smelly. I know his owners are in their late 60's early 70's, but don't you think they could at least take him to the groomer if they can't take care of him? Besides that, it aggravates me that he was out of his yard with no collar on whatsoever. He's a good dog, it's just that we live in town with busy streets, and it's very dangerous for him to run loose. Sorry for such a long vent, I'm just annoyed. FYI - I did manage to lure him toward his yard and saw him go back in his garage, and heard the house door shut, so I know they let him back in. But obviously I was more worried about him than they were.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
A lot of people don't have a clue that dogs need to be groomed, or they don't know where to go. Maybe find a groomer who will give them a discount (if money is an issue) and tell them you have found a great groomer and offer to 'carpool' both dogs for a groom? As for the running loose, not much you can do other than go to their door and inform them (every time) that the dog is out, if that doesn't work then report them. Yes they are old but that's no reason for them to be irresponsible.

Lana

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
That is so sad. Unfortunately Animal Control probably couldn't care if the dog has mats and since he went home, not much you can do.

I don't defend not grooming your dog but maybe they are on a limited income and can't afford a groomer. I also know from my own experience that it is hard to keep up with a golden's coat when you are in bad health yourself.

Do you know these people at all? Maybe you could volunteer to give him a bath or a brushing?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you know these people at all? Maybe you could volunteer to give him a bath or a brushing?
I've never met them, just seen the old man out once in a while, but he's never talked to me. I'd love to offer, but I don't know if it would offend him.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
Being that these are elderly owners, I'd offer to help. Take over some homemade bread or a pie or something, cookies even, and let them know that you have a golden too. Maybe offer to bring the poor guy over for some play sessions and then you could groom him then? They might really appreciate your help. If I was 60 or 70, I know I would!

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Ask if the dog could come play with your puppy, tell them your dog needs to meet other dogs in a controlled environment, etc. Make it up as you go along! Take some treats, say your dog doesn't like them and maybe theirs will!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts