Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Irresponsible Breeder! Stay Clear

17206 Views 73 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  1234animallover
Do not get a puppy from Valleaview! This is a puppy mill, and over the past year has had over 200 puppies, including Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds and Blue Heelers. The puppies are raised in a building on his farm which is not his main residence. The sires are held in pens outside on the property. It is not uncommon for the litters to mingle with pups from other litters, and for the mamas to nurse pups from other litters as well. The pups are very poorly socialized, growing up in a barn, with no exposure to regular daily life with humans. At any given time, it is not unusual to have 50 puppies, who need care, a clean environment, and nurturing. The Sprungs rely heavily on local kids to help out, who are not equipped with the knowledge and experience to provide adequate care. Currently, there are approximately 60+ puppies up for re-homing.
Recent pups have been sent to their new homes with Giardia (Beaver Fever) and other bacteria, even though they have been seen by vets. Of the four summer 2020 litters of Golden Retrievers, each litter had cases of Giardia that we are aware of. One of the litters, 6 of 8 puppies have reported this parasite in their pups, although not all owners have chimed in. All the vets do is de-worm (not helpful with Giardia). The mamas carry Giardia, which is passed on to the puppies in-utero. A few of the mamas are very thin, and they are over-bred consistently. Giardia is a very difficult parasite to get rid of and some owners have reported thousands of dollars in treating this very resistant parasite. In order to eradicate this parasite, the farm would have to be completely disinfected. The Sprungs deny any responsibility.
If you buy a puppy from Valleaview, do not expect any written contract, any health clearances (they consider this a cash grab) nor any receipts for your purchase. There is no health guarantee, only a verbal statement of one-year guarantee for genetic disease, where they will take your puppy back and give you a new one. I would never want a replacement puppy from them.

STAY AWAY FROM VALLEAVIEW AND PLEASE SHARE!
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Dear all, I can only suggest a class action suit against Valleaview Kennels. The complaint and petition process have not worked in the past, and likely will not work in the future. you would have to find a law firm to do the class action, and then find a representative plaintiff, get a list of the members of the class, and then get teh class approved by the court. It is a lot of work, but if your goal is to shut Sprung down, this is likely the only way to do it.

· Registered
15 Posts
Dear all, I can only suggest a class action suit against Valleaview Kennels. The complaint and petition process have not worked in the past, and likely will not work in the future. you would have to find a law firm to do the class action, and then find a representative plaintiff, get a list of the members of the class, and then get teh class approved by the court. It is a lot of work, but if your goal is to shut Sprung down, this is likely the only way to do it.
do you want to contact me and I can share the information we have!
CKC is close to taking his privileges away. For sure in September when the new ROE comes into effect. He currently has a lawsuit for 2.8 million. We are planning on approaching the media. He is hiding dogs and puppies with friends - hopefully only a matter of time!

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Just stumbled upon this. In the summer of 2020 a 10 week old lab puppy was rehomed to us. We were able to figure out he was from a breeder due to the ear tattoos. Valleaview eventually confirmed he was one of their pups. It bugged me that they didn’t seem to care that this puppy was now with a new family (after being originally sent to A different one only 2 weeks prior ). Our poor little guy suffered a ton of GI issues when we first got him. He has giardia, and later bacterial kennel cough. He also has severe allergies. He is the sweetest dog in the world and I love him so very much. Just sad to hear he probably had a sad start to life
Can you share your story with me? [email protected]

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello

I am new here from Vancouver, B.C. I just got my golden on this past Saturday. It turns out that he is from Valleaview. I purchased him from a woman in Langley who is "friends" with the breeder. He is only 7 weeks old. He seems great, and I am already in love!!! I am a little worried now after hearing about Valleaview. I do have a non breeding agreement with the litter registration number, as well as the sire and dam registration numbers. I hope it is all legitimate.
How is your dog doing now?

· Premium Member
2,754 Posts
Can someone help me and let me know how your puppy is now? We just put a deposit on a puppy this week!! Help!
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you found us by (I assume) Googling this breeder after having already put down a deposit. It's possible you may not hear back from the original poster if they are not a regular forum member, but to be honest, if you are asking about a breeder in a thread that goes on for four pages as to why they are NOT a reputable breeder then I would chock this up to an expensive lesson about doing your research in advance and walk away (obviously, you can try to get your deposit back first!). The cost of treating a dog for any number of issues that might result from bad breeding could easily outstrip the money you might lose on your deposit (not to mention the potential frustration and heartbreak).

FWIW this forum has a lot of great resources and if you decide to move on from this breeder we can do our best to guide you to breeders who are more reputable/ethical than this one.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
How is your dog doing now?
Hi Ken M: I put down a $500.00 deposit for a golden from this breeder and decided after to not purchase. Of course I did not get my money back. I further investigated him and did not want a dog from this breeder. His puppies have arrived ill and unsocialized and many recipients of these dogs have spent thousands of dollars on these dogs that they purchased and fell in love with. He breeds at least 8 dogs at a time. The lives of his females are only to have litters. He uses artificial insemination. He has a court case coming up in the spring in Chilliwack. The puppy in this case came with hip and elbow dysplasia. Go to your vet and get your dog comply checked out.

· Registered
3 Posts
Do not get a puppy from Valleaview! This is a puppy mill, and over the past year has had over 200 puppies, including Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds and Blue Heelers. The puppies are raised in a building on his farm which is not his main residence. The sires are held in pens outside on the property. It is not uncommon for the litters to mingle with pups from other litters, and for the mamas to nurse pups from other litters as well. The pups are very poorly socialized, growing up in a barn, with no exposure to regular daily life with humans. At any given time, it is not unusual to have 50 puppies, who need care, a clean environment, and nurturing. The Sprungs rely heavily on local kids to help out, who are not equipped with the knowledge and experience to provide adequate care. Currently, there are approximately 60+ puppies up for re-homing.
Recent pups have been sent to their new homes with Giardia (Beaver Fever) and other bacteria, even though they have been seen by vets. Of the four summer 2020 litters of Golden Retrievers, each litter had cases of Giardia that we are aware of. One of the litters, 6 of 8 puppies have reported this parasite in their pups, although not all owners have chimed in. All the vets do is de-worm (not helpful with Giardia). The mamas carry Giardia, which is passed on to the puppies in-utero. A few of the mamas are very thin, and they are over-bred consistently. Giardia is a very difficult parasite to get rid of and some owners have reported thousands of dollars in treating this very resistant parasite. In order to eradicate this parasite, the farm would have to be completely disinfected. The Sprungs deny any responsibility.
If you buy a puppy from Valleaview, do not expect any written contract, any health clearances (they consider this a cash grab) nor any receipts for your purchase. There is no health guarantee, only a verbal statement of one-year guarantee for genetic disease, where they will take your puppy back and give you a new one. I would never want a replacement puppy from them.

STAY AWAY FROM VALLEAVIEW AND PLEASE SHARE!
Hi Aileen,
The Animal Health and Welfare Branch
of Manitoba Agriculture is seeking information on this - I’m not yet able to message you directly on this forum but if you could please message me I would like to connect you with them or share any evidence with them you might have. I almost bought a puppy from Vallaeview this week and after coming across this post and others I reported them to the Manitoba Government and they responded wanting to take action, they just need people to come forward with evidence and an address

61 - 74 of 74 Posts