Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
embarkvet.org- you can get an entire panel done right now for about $140ish.. and PennGen does the ICT2- Penn Vet | Genetic Tests and it is $100. They both service worldwide, surprised the vet went the more expensive and invasive route to diagnose your puppy.
GI issues come hand in hand with ICT1. Just heads up.

you may be surprised at what he does or doesn't have- you can go buy a sterile swab, or wait on kit from Embark, it's easy peasy to do yourself, and your vet might appreciate things like genetic low-ALT etc that show up- that one would give you a headsup if his ALT was normal but high normal that he may have a problem before it'd be noticed by bloodwork (hopefully not today! but I think the genetically low-ALT is a very handy piece of knowledge). After spending all you have spent, this is small taters to have a truly full picture.
Because ICT1 is a recessive trait, HAD your breeder bothered to test his own breeding stock, this never would have happened to your puppy- it's completely avoidable with a little bit of knowledge... and if your pup does come back affected, that tells breeder that his sire/dam are both at minimum carriers- and should not be bred to each other again.
i'm sorry you aren't getting any support from him, an offer to replace a beloved pet is no warranty at all- but he didn't have to have this condition in the first place.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do not get a puppy from Valleaview! This is a puppy mill, and over the past year has had over 200 puppies, including Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds and Blue Heelers. The puppies are raised in a building on his farm which is not his main residence. The sires are held in pens outside on the property. It is not uncommon for the litters to mingle with pups from other litters, and for the mamas to nurse pups from other litters as well. The pups are very poorly socialized, growing up in a barn, with no exposure to regular daily life with humans. At any given time, it is not unusual to have 50 puppies, who need care, a clean environment, and nurturing. The Sprungs rely heavily on local kids to help out, who are not equipped with the knowledge and experience to provide adequate care. Currently, there are approximately 60+ puppies up for re-homing.
Recent pups have been sent to their new homes with Giardia (Beaver Fever) and other bacteria, even though they have been seen by vets. Of the four summer 2020 litters of Golden Retrievers, each litter had cases of Giardia that we are aware of. One of the litters, 6 of 8 puppies have reported this parasite in their pups, although not all owners have chimed in. All the vets do is de-worm (not helpful with Giardia). The mamas carry Giardia, which is passed on to the puppies in-utero. A few of the mamas are very thin, and they are over-bred consistently. Giardia is a very difficult parasite to get rid of and some owners have reported thousands of dollars in treating this very resistant parasite. In order to eradicate this parasite, the farm would have to be completely disinfected. The Sprungs deny any responsibility.
If you buy a puppy from Valleaview, do not expect any written contract, any health clearances (they consider this a cash grab) nor any receipts for your purchase. There is no health guarantee, only a verbal statement of one-year guarantee for genetic disease, where they will take your puppy back and give you a new one. I would never want a replacement puppy from them.

STAY AWAY FROM VALLEAVIEW AND PLEASE SHARE!
Where is this “Breeder” located?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I would love to discuss your experience with Valleaview with you. We have a group that has contacted CKC regarding Valleaview without any action from them. They continue to support this breeder. Can you give me your email so I can send my information to you directly?
Do not get a puppy from Valleaview! This is a puppy mill, and over the past year has had over 200 puppies, including Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds and Blue Heelers. The puppies are raised in a building on his farm which is not his main residence. The sires are held in pens outside on the property. It is not uncommon for the litters to mingle with pups from other litters, and for the mamas to nurse pups from other litters as well. The pups are very poorly socialized, growing up in a barn, with no exposure to regular daily life with humans. At any given time, it is not unusual to have 50 puppies, who need care, a clean environment, and nurturing. The Sprungs rely heavily on local kids to help out, who are not equipped with the knowledge and experience to provide adequate care. Currently, there are approximately 60+ puppies up for re-homing.
Recent pups have been sent to their new homes with Giardia (Beaver Fever) and other bacteria, even though they have been seen by vets. Of the four summer 2020 litters of Golden Retrievers, each litter had cases of Giardia that we are aware of. One of the litters, 6 of 8 puppies have reported this parasite in their pups, although not all owners have chimed in. All the vets do is de-worm (not helpful with Giardia). The mamas carry Giardia, which is passed on to the puppies in-utero. A few of the mamas are very thin, and they are over-bred consistently. Giardia is a very difficult parasite to get rid of and some owners have reported thousands of dollars in treating this very resistant parasite. In order to eradicate this parasite, the farm would have to be completely disinfected. The Sprungs deny any responsibility.
If you buy a puppy from Valleaview, do not expect any written contract, any health clearances (they consider this a cash grab) nor any receipts for your purchase. There is no health guarantee, only a verbal statement of one-year guarantee for genetic disease, where they will take your puppy back and give you a new one. I would never want a replacement puppy from them.

STAY AWAY FROM VALLEAVIEW AND PLEASE SHARE!
I also have a puppy from Valleaview (summer 2020 litter). He is a wonderful dog. Best wacky temperament. However he is not the dog I expected. This dog is more of a working dog (American Golden) than a companion golden as I was led to believe We also noted the lack of socialization when the dog arrived. It was totally evident that this dog was not socialized!!
Additionally I have wondered about a few other things that have not added up
As a brand new puppy he was in emergency x 2 for stomach issues and severe diarrhea. No proper Dx. He arrived skinny with a poor dull coat.
At 11 months old he has sever allergies causing issues with his eyes, ears and skin. And is on daily medication for same.
I was given very (and I mean very) limited information on the parents - always being put off or my questions outright ignored. I never did find out the parents and the vet info that came with the dog was not from valleaview. But another person all together. I love him. But I absolutely do not feel this is a well bred dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I also have a puppy from Valleaview (summer 2020 litter). He is a wonderful dog. Best wacky temperament. However he is not the dog I expected. This dog is more of a working dog (American Golden) than a companion golden as I was led to believe We also noted the lack of socialization when the dog arrived. It was totally evident that this dog was not socialized!!
Additionally I have wondered about a few other things that have not added up
As a brand new puppy he was in emergency x 2 for stomach issues and severe diarrhea. No proper Dx. He arrived skinny with a poor dull coat.
At 11 months old he has sever allergies causing issues with his eyes, ears and skin. And is on daily medication for same.
I was given very (and I mean very) limited information on the parents - always being put off or my questions outright ignored. I never did find out the parents and the vet info that came with the dog was not from valleaview. But another person all together. I love him. But I absolutely do not feel this is a well bred dog.
Can you give me your email to continue this conversation!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts