Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do not get a puppy from Valleaview! This is a puppy mill, and over the past year has had over 200 puppies, including Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds and Blue Heelers. The puppies are raised in a building on his farm which is not his main residence. The sires are held in pens outside on the property. It is not uncommon for the litters to mingle with pups from other litters, and for the mamas to nurse pups from other litters as well. The pups are very poorly socialized, growing up in a barn, with no exposure to regular daily life with humans. At any given time, it is not unusual to have 50 puppies, who need care, a clean environment, and nurturing. The Sprungs rely heavily on local kids to help out, who are not equipped with the knowledge and experience to provide adequate care. Currently, there are approximately 60+ puppies up for re-homing.
Recent pups have been sent to their new homes with Giardia (Beaver Fever) and other bacteria, even though they have been seen by vets. Of the four summer 2020 litters of Golden Retrievers, each litter had cases of Giardia that we are aware of. One of the litters, 6 of 8 puppies have reported this parasite in their pups, although not all owners have chimed in. All the vets do is de-worm (not helpful with Giardia). The mamas carry Giardia, which is passed on to the puppies in-utero. A few of the mamas are very thin, and they are over-bred consistently. Giardia is a very difficult parasite to get rid of and some owners have reported thousands of dollars in treating this very resistant parasite. In order to eradicate this parasite, the farm would have to be completely disinfected. The Sprungs deny any responsibility.
If you buy a puppy from Valleaview, do not expect any written contract, any health clearances (they consider this a cash grab) nor any receipts for your purchase. There is no health guarantee, only a verbal statement of one-year guarantee for genetic disease, where they will take your puppy back and give you a new one. I would never want a replacement puppy from them.

STAY AWAY FROM VALLEAVIEW AND PLEASE SHARE!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Just out of curiosity... do you have a website for them? Can you provide the AKC numbers for the parents of your puppy?

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
This breeder is in Canada, therefore CKC. I have no numbers!
If you or someone else has a pedigree (“papers”) the registered names and numbers should be there...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Do not get a puppy from Valleaview! This is a puppy mill, and over the past year has had over 400 puppies, including Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds and Blue Heelers.
I am going to take what may be perceived as a somewhat antagonistic perspective, and note that, had someone created a new account and started to sing glowing praises about a breeder whose practices were being questioned, the timing and content would be viewed with a bit of apprehension, especially lacking any objective evidence. I'm not saying the things being referenced are not disturbing, just that there are no verifiable facts presented to support the assertions.

Of the four summer 2020 litters of Golden Retrievers, each litter had cases of Giardia that we are aware of. One of the litters, 6 of 8 puppies have reported this parasite in their pups, although not all owners have chimed in. All the vets do is de-worm (not helpful with Giardia). The mamas carry Giardia, which is passed on to the puppies in-utero. A few of the mamas are very thin, and they are over-bred consistently. Giardia is a very difficult parasite to get rid of and some owners have reported thousands of dollars in treating this very resistant parasite.
I am, admittedly, fairly new to both dog ownership and golden retrievers. Our golden had evidence of Giardia on her well-puppy check. The treatment was not a one-and-done, but I'm having problems understanding, based on my admittedly limited experience, how the costs can run into "thousands of dollars", even factoring in exchange rates. And, my Google-Fu on the topic doesn't support this claim, although I'm open to being educated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I
Do not get a puppy from Valleaview! This is a puppy mill, and over the past year has had over 200 puppies, including Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers, German Shepherds and Blue Heelers. The puppies are raised in a building on his farm which is not his main residence. The sires are held in pens outside on the property. It is not uncommon for the litters to mingle with pups from other litters, and for the mamas to nurse pups from other litters as well. The pups are very poorly socialized, growing up in a barn, with no exposure to regular daily life with humans. At any given time, it is not unusual to have 50 puppies, who need care, a clean environment, and nurturing. The Sprungs rely heavily on local kids to help out, who are not equipped with the knowledge and experience to provide adequate care. Currently, there are approximately 60+ puppies up for re-homing.
Recent pups have been sent to their new homes with Giardia (Beaver Fever) and other bacteria, even though they have been seen by vets. Of the four summer 2020 litters of Golden Retrievers, each litter had cases of Giardia that we are aware of. One of the litters, 6 of 8 puppies have reported this parasite in their pups, although not all owners have chimed in. All the vets do is de-worm (not helpful with Giardia). The mamas carry Giardia, which is passed on to the puppies in-utero. A few of the mamas are very thin, and they are over-bred consistently. Giardia is a very difficult parasite to get rid of and some owners have reported thousands of dollars in treating this very resistant parasite. In order to eradicate this parasite, the farm would have to be completely disinfected. The Sprungs deny any responsibility.
If you buy a puppy from Valleaview, do not expect any written contract, any health clearances (they consider this a cash grab) nor any receipts for your purchase. There is no health guarantee, only a verbal statement of one-year guarantee for genetic disease, where they will take your puppy back and give you a new one. I would never want a replacement puppy from them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And just another thing to clarify- the puppy I got from this breeder has the best temperament. He’s the best behaved dog I’ve ever had and he’s amazing. I just want him to be able to be a normal healthy pup.

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
DrFrank, is it ICT1 or ICT2?
The reality is if it is ICT2, you may be looking at a euthanasia downline and I'm quite sure this breeder isn't involved in our community (educated, in tuned breeders of GRs) to even know that.

PennGen does the DNA test for ICT2- they are the only one right now, since they have not published yet (if you are a Dr you know how DNA testing gets on other companies panels for testing, PennGen is it right now). I would invest in a full panel @ Embark DNA, they're having a good sale right now (you can do buccal swab yourself, no vet visit required) and I would also do ICT 2 w PennGen.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts