Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Some questions on the invisible fence:

1. At what age is it okay to begin using the fence. Koda is 5 months on Monday.

2. How did you go about training them on it?

We received a fence from our neighbors with no instructions so I am looking for input here first.

Thanks guys!!

Michelle

·
Registered
226 Posts
Your puppy is old enough to start training. Training is done with a visual (flags) and auditory cue about where the boundary is, and then backed up with a static correction once the dog understands. If you fence is Inivisible Fence Brand, go to InvisibleFence.com and enter your zip code. Your local dealer would have instructions/assistance for training. Don't start until you are certain that you understand the process. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Post what brand it is and a picture if you can and I'll see if I have a manual and CD I can send you. My first one got fried and I bought another so I have multiple manuals. I bought it at Lowe's.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Your puppy is old enough to start training. Training is done with a visual (flags) and auditory cue about where the boundary is, and then backed up with a static correction once the dog understands. If you fence is Inivisible Fence Brand, go to InvisibleFence.com and enter your zip code. Your local dealer would have instructions/assistance for training. Don't start until you are certain that you understand the process. Good luck!
(Since you can probably find instruction online, I won't go into that.)

Very important point. And follow the instructions. Don't jump ahead thinking your dog is ready for more freedom or blow-off a training session/s. So many people put the collar on and just expect the dog to know what is expected. You will be setting him/her up for failure. We did 3 training sessions a day for 2 weeks.

We have an Invisible Fence (PetSafe Brand) and couldn't be happier. Don't be worried if your dog gets corrected a time or two. IMO, it's necessary so he/she knows the consequences of going past the boundary. Hank won't cross even when chasing wildlife or his ball. The are 5 correction levels on our fence. We have it on #3. (#1 is beep only, #2 is for timid dogs, #3 is for timid/average dogs, #4 is for average/high energy. #5 is for high energy dogs).

We left our flags up for several months since our fence encloses about 1 1/2 acres. I think the visual cues really help.

When we leave the yard on a leash we always exit/enter at the same spot. Without the collar on, of course. It has never caused any confusion or set backs.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I love the Invisible Fence Brand. Having said that and living 1100 feet off the road in my in-laws 68 acres, no one wears a collar.... if I lived in a neighborhood, whoa nelly, everyone would be collared.....

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I would love to use Invisible Fence. Does anyone have an approximate cost for fencing about a quarter of an acre.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
My neighbor owns the local franchise.. so on occasion, I get a deal. The collars are close to $300, but it is worth it to get the ones with the lifetime guarantee....

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I would love to use Invisible Fence. Does anyone have an approximate cost for fencing about a quarter of an acre.
We had one installed from Pet Stop, and it was close to $1000. I can send you the installers info if you want. The system is very similar to the invisible fence brand; the collars are even interchangeable if you ever needed to do that.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
When my mother board get zapped by lightening,it was covered.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
We had one installed from Pet Stop, and it was close to $1000. I can send you the installers info if you want. The system is very similar to the invisible fence brand; the collars are even interchangeable if you ever needed to do that.
You can PM it to me. Thanks.

·
Dexter's Mom aka Kristin
625 Posts
We have the Invisible Fence brand fence. It is wonderful. Dexter started training at 4 months. Probably a little early, but we kept the covers on the bars so he couldn't be shocked until 5 months. I would lead him up to it on the leash, and as soon as he heard the noise (I could hear it too and his ears would twitch), I would run him away from it. I did the same thing once the covers came off of the bars, and then we got rid of the leash and did the same drill. Then I added in distractions such as rolling a tennis ball out, or me walking outside of the fence down the driveway to the mailbox. Once I felt like he was okay, I'd let him stay out for 10 minutes with me checking on him frequently...I mean like every 30 seconds because I am paranoid. LOL. He has run into the fence once in the 3, almost 4, months it has been on him. He is on level 2 of 12. I am sure he will eventually try to test it and it will be upped. He has been properly trained, though, and up until now...it has been a FANTASTIC investment.

I was VERY skeptical at first. I didn't want to hurt him. I wanted an actual fence to keep other dogs out. I still would like that because the neighbors refuse to keep their dogs in their yard and it annoys me to no end. After doing the training with him, I realize that it doesn't hurt him. He can't dig out of an invisible fence. We were able to get an in ground pool (YAY!). Just lots of positives from me. They also have things you can put inside to keep them off of furniture, etc. We didn't get any of that, but I thought it was neat.

I believe we ended up spending close to $4,000 to do our entire front and back yard..then they had to come back and fix it after the pool guys cut the line by accident. I'm sure everywhere is different price-wise, though. It's honestly worth its weight in gold. I am so glad I am able to let him go outside and have fun and play with our other dog FREELY. He has been neutered so hopefully he will not ever be tempted by the scent of a female in heat. I am still getting him microchipped just in case, though. I am more worried about him being stolen than getting out of the fence..

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
If you're a DIYer, it's very inexpensive. We bought ours from Amazon.com in April 2010. It's the PetSafe PRF -304W Deluxe In-ground Fence. $183.73. We bought an extra packet of flags ($9.99) since we had such a large area to enclose. With free shipping, total was $193.72.

With that said, we did have a spool of wire, (some comes with the fence but not enough for what we needed.) It would be enough for you.

My husband went around the boundary with our gas edger to cut the sod. Then went around with a spade to "open" the cut. I followed behind laying the wire into the "cut" then tamping it with my feet. It took us a weekend to complete.

I recommend buying a Lightening Protector if you live a thunderstorm prone area (Also available at Amazon.com around $30.) The first storm fried ours, which was replaced by PetSafe at no charge due to the warranty. Much cheaper to have the Lightening Protector than to replace, after warranty, the receiver.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I recommend buying a Lightening Protector if you live a thunderstorm prone area (Also available at Amazon.com around $30.) The first storm fried ours, which was replaced by PetSafe at no charge due to the warranty. Much cheaper to have the Lightening Protector than to replace, after warranty, the receiver.
Definitely get the lightning protector. Lightning hit a tree near the border of our buried fence wire and wiped out the control unit. Innotek sent a replacement at a discount and I ordered the lightning protector. No problems after that.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I called my local Invisible Fence Co. after my neighbor ran over my beloved Bella. I needed someone to put it in and a guarantee that it would work. My dogs have been able to run free along with others on our lane and I felt horrible that this awful neighbor was taking their freedom away due to lack of caring about how they drive on our lane. It cost $3200 for almost 5 acres and I got 2 collars. They installed it in about 3 hours. They helped me train Ruby (who was 5). Then came back 3 mo later to train my puppy Lily. It has battery back up in case of power loss. It is also guaranteed for my lifetime. They send batteries every 3 mo for the first year. I haven't changed them yet because they are still reading good. They will come and fix any problem with the system for life. They will also come and adjust frequency if I have any problems with dogs crossing the line. I am in love with this system and feel very reassured that someone will be there for me if I have any problems. I have had the system since March and I highly recommend it. Good luck to you!!

P.S. My dogs love it!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
my husband is installing the invisible fence as i'm writing this...i just don't want Gazoo to get hurt from the shock..i'm told its noise first....we have the yard with a fence but we live on the beach and were unable to put a fence in the water so at low tide Gazoo gets off the beach and out...he's now 7 months old and is feeling brave....we found him down the block...pretty scary...
now everytime he goes out he goes directly to the spot he can get out....i just feel horrible if he gets scared...but the consequence of losing him is far worse...

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I have the petsafe brand wireless system & I love it.It cost about $275.00 & 55.00 for the extra collar.The transmitter sets inside the house & you adjust it your yard.My yard is 1/4 acre & the fence is on low range.
I agree that training is the key & the collar setting is very important.Sweetie is on level 3 & old hard head Jack is on 5
So far even the greatest of temptations don't get them to cross the border(Animals,kids,the garbage truck anything)I have a weekly rental house next door & when folks rent it I always go & tell them the deal.Even their kids playing or them cooking on the grill doesn't cause an issue

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
We have the PetSafe system which doesn't require you to bury wire. Instead there is a transmitter unit that is plugged in inside the house. It transmits an "egg shaped" signal that is roughly 1/2 acre (which would include the house area of course).
We got the system when Brooks was a puppy but didn't train him to it until he was 4 months old. Until that time, when we took him outside, he was always on the lease and we always kept him within the limit of the PetSafe signal (we had marked it ahead of time with the flags so we knew the boundary).
Once he was old enough, my son followed the instructions on the DVD. The only problem we had was the first time the battery ran down---we didn't realize it would run down in about 4 months--he then went outside the perimeter.
Once we realized what was going on, we made sure we always checked the system when the battery got to be around 3 months old, so that he didn;t have an opportunity to un-learn his boundaries.
All these years, he has never broken through his barrier......until just the other day. He saw me taking some leftover green beans and ham (that we didn't like) out to bury (compost) in our vegetable garden (which is outside the boundary). The very next time he went out, he crossed over the boundary to get them.
We realized that his collar was too loose (the electronic device was hanging down so it wasn't even in contact with his neck) so tightened it, and ramped up the shock level (to help remind him). I watched him go to the boundary and test the limit several times after that (he really wanted those green beans and ham).

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
my husband is installing the invisible fence as i'm writing this...i just don't want Gazoo to get hurt from the shock..i'm told its noise first....we have the yard with a fence but we live on the beach and were unable to put a fence in the water so at low tide Gazoo gets off the beach and out...he's now 7 months old and is feeling brave....we found him down the block...pretty scary...
now everytime he goes out he goes directly to the spot he can get out....i just feel horrible if he gets scared...but the consequence of losing him is far worse...
If you train him according to the instructions that come with the fence, he will not be scared or hurt. Too many people (my DD & SIL Included) put the fence in, put the collar on the dog/s and expect them to know the boundary then don't understand why the dog/s get out. DO NOT skip ahead on the length of training.

We've had an invisible fence for almost 3 years, it's been wonderful. Hank knows the boundary (because I trained him to where it is) and never crosses. Has he been shocked? Yes, early on when I mistakenly let him get too close while on leash & once he forgot himself chasing the cat, but he wasn't hurt but now respects it. Hank loves having the freedom of our property.

Capt. Jack mentioned the wireless fence, FWIW, my brother tried that but it won't work if where you set the transmitter is higher than your yard boundary. e.g., if your yard drops off down to the beach. The dog can go under the signal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts