Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we will soon be the new owner of a Golden Retriever named Sadie,

She is about 7 months old and currently belongs to a neighbor a few houses down the street. She gets out a lot and I've told them that if they don't want here then I'll take her. I think they just have too many pets and are gone all days so the puppy in her gets out to go exploring. I work out of a home office so I can give her more attention during the day.

I'm not sure yet about how trained she is but she will respond to some commands and she goes readily into her cage that I set up. She is out again today so she is hanging around our house.

Our dog Zoe died suddenly about 2 months ago and our kids have been wanting another dog. They really love this dog so hopefully everything will work out.

I've been reading the forums the last two days and I'm hoping to learn as much as I can about adopting a Golden Retriever. This is kind of a unique situation and I'm not sure what problems "moving down the street" will cause.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
It certainly sounds like Sadie will have a better home with you :) She may be a little confused for a while, but as long as you keep her up so she can't wander, it should be good.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like the best solution for everyone. Crate trained and house broken are two important steps!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition! You won't have any regrets including Sadie in your family; a golden is the ultimate family pup:) You should probably make it impossible for her to get back to her old house in order that she's positive where home is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well they cam and got the dog so it isn't a done deal yet.

But at least I kept her off the streets for a few hours.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Hopefully they will see the light and let you adopt Sadie. It sounds like she would be so much better off with you and your family. Maybe you could talk to them again. Welcome to the forum and we will say a little prayer that you can get her by Christmas.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Hopefully, they will see that wandering is just too dangerous for a golden, and admit you can offer the better home. I hope that they will "officially" turn over her papers or sign a contract you write( some breeders here can help you) so that your kids can feel free to become attached without fear that they will change their minds at some later date!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, the dog is now ours as we did the hand off this evening. :)

Sadie has papers (I don't have those yet) and has had her shots but is not spayed. She has had obedience traiing and knows some commands but her puppy enthusiasm seems to quickly take over.

If anyone has any sample contracts to insure she stays with us it would be appreciated if you could share them.

Now I'm off to supper then to give Sadie a bath. Got to figure out how to best dry off a goldie.:confused:

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Congratulations....Yes get it in writing that you are now Sadie's owner. Giving a Golden a bath is no big deal...as long as you don't mind getting wet!! Don't forget to post pictures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow -must be an exciting time for all you guys there! Congrats on getting Sadie. They are such a gentle and loyal breed, but boy are they excitable! You'd think they were all MARLEY'S! Also, be sure to get those papers.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
congrat to Sadie's former owner for doing the right thing!

I've been "emotional" owner of a neighbor golden for past 8 years (he''s 13 in January) -- Our shared ownership isn't perfect, but works; he loves us all & has to check in at his legal home at least 1x/wk.

however, I did HAVE to get my own little goldie

·
Registered
128 Posts
Okay, the dog is now ours as we did the hand off this evening. :)

Sadie has papers (I don't have those yet) and has had her shots but is not spayed. She has had obedience traiing and knows some commands but her puppy enthusiasm seems to quickly take over.

If anyone has any sample contracts to insure she stays with us it would be appreciated if you could share them.

Now I'm off to supper then to give Sadie a bath. Got to figure out how to best dry off a goldie.:confused:
Get ready to get wet! I put Daisy in the shower, line the bathroom with TONS of towels and have one hanging over the doors, hop in the shower, get her all clean, grab the one and get most of the wet off her and then open the door and she rolls & rolls on the dry towels! She has such a good time and the rest of the house stays dry until she is!

Have fun and congrats! I'm a new owner of a golden also!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good Luck, we adopted Bella and it did take her time to settle (6 months) to our routine.

She did have some issues, but with a bit of TLC and retraining she is now settled and we love her to bits.

Many dogs need time to adjust, but they always come good. :)

If anything gets you down just write it down on this forum and you will always get good advice (i did)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm sure Sadie will be just fine in her new loving home!! Get out the towels for bath time! Congrats on the new addition!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts