Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - I happened across this site and am so glad I did! Now I can ask all the questions I need to about Golden Retreivers and hopefully other dogs.
My Golden's name is Mojo and he is my bubbie boy. I just love him to pieces. We've seen him since he was 10 days old and brought him home at 9 weeks. His coat is reddish and straight with a darker saddle across his nose. Now that he is 6 1/2 years old he's starting to get a little grey around the muzzle. When I took him to Obedience classes as a puppy he received top honours in Jr and Sr. Kindergarten puppy classes. I was taking him into the third set of classes when my husband and I decided to move to the country. Not much socializing for my little boy. I went to the Brighton Animal Shelter and rescued a female Rotti/hound mix we called Roxy. Roxy had been in the shelter for 8 months and had no social skills. Mojo was patient with her and Roxy started to learn how to play. A year later I felt that if you have two dogs you can have three so I went back to the shelter and rescued our Terrier/Husky/Austrailan Sheppard mix named Zoe. She had also been in the shelter for 8 months and was brought in pregnant. She had a litter of 6 puppies and they all went except her. Roxy hated her. It took a long while but there ended up to be dog fights where Roxy was always hurt. Roxy was the one who started the fights and Zoe never backed down but they were getting brutal. We lived on eggshells for about two years until I could bring myself to make the decision to put Roxy down. Lots of soul-searching there, let me tell you. It didn't help that the vet thought I was doing the right thing. Roxy could never have been placed in another family because I would always worry about her biting a child/another dog/another animal. It's been 1 1/2 years since that terrible day and I still agonize over the decision I had to make.
The good news is that Mojo and Zoe are the best of pals and can now run and play in the enclosed yard. Zoe has calmed down considerably and Mojo is a happy boy again. I guess the dogs can really feel the tension in the air.
Enough about all that now. I have a question.
When I let the dogs out I have a terrible time with both of them and the eating of grass that they do. I think I have goats. They will not stop eating it. I squirt Zoe with the water gun but you know Goldens and water...Mojo thinks I'm just giving him a beverage to have with the buffet. I feed my dogs Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach. Any imput on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi there Mojo's mum and welcome from an Aussie golden lover!!

I have 2 goldens, Jessie who's 3, and Shadow who's just over a year old.

Sounds like you have had a rough time of it in the past, but now it seems that all is well with you........that must be such a relief. Our furbabies are sensitive to stress and hostilities in the household, and obviously it must have been a big decision that you had to make, and one that has worked out for the best, even though you probably felt so bad at the time.

As far as the grass eating goes, my Shadow, eats grass when he goes outside, and nothing bad has come of it. We don't spray the grass or anything, so no risk of pesticides etc.

How much grass are your guys eating? Is it a lot, or just a few nibbles from time to time?

If it's a lot, then I believe there is some spray you have over in the USA called Bitter Apple or something, and the dogs hate the taste of it. Perhaps you could spray the grass with that?

Just a thought, someone else may have a better idea.

Nice to 'meet' you and welcome!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grass eating

Thanks for the input, Golden Aussie. Appreciate it. The Bitter Apple you mentioned is here in Canada but it comes in a small bottle. I could never spray the yard with it. We also do not use pesticides so I'm not concerned about that. It's just that the dogs go out and immediately they start eating the grass. If I left them out there for an hour, they'd eat grass for the hour. Weird. Their stool is full of the grass so I know they're passing at least most of it. So far they haven't thrown-up the grass but I'm waiting for it. It always happens in the wee hours of the night and if I don't grab my glasses first I could be in for an unpleasant surprise. I was concerned about them getting too much in the intestinal tract.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another thing I meant to say Mojo'sMum was in relation to this......
he is my bubbie boy
I also call Jessie my 'bubbies'. LOL Actually she has a few pet names...... my bubby, boobala, Jessie Jane, my Golden girl, to name just a few.

What you guys call woobies, those stuffed toys Goldens love, I call bubbies! Confusing eh?

I do hope someone will be able to help you with your question about grass eating. I guess you could always speak to your vet, and ask him about any products that might be useful........good luck!!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have seen the grass issue on a number of bulletin boards. Nobody seems to really have an answer.. I think they just like it. As far as I can tell, it really doesnt hurt them. Mine do it, but not to excess. I have given up trying to make it an issue.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I should too. We go to the vets this weekend for the dreaded vaccinations so I'll add that question to my list.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had so many other questions to ask that I forgot to ask about the grass. I'll have to stop into his office this week on one of my journeys to town.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We call our Goldens billy goats because they will eat anything. They especially enjoy grass. They do seem to be selective about what grass they eat though. They never get sick from it. Early spring seems to be when they eat the most grass. Karen

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Karen, I've heard that before. Apparently the grass is much sweeter in the spring.
Robins have built a nest in the tree in the yard. As in previous years I'm waiting for a baby robin to fall from the tree and become a snack for Mojo and Zoe. GROSS!!!!! One day a starling was in the yard. Zoe (the Terrier mix) scooped it up and proceeded to race around the yard with it in her mouth. Needless to say the starling didn't make it and the remains of it were deposited on the livingroom rug. My hubby had to clean that mess up. I won't go into details....it was just gross.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My Golden's name is Mojo and he is my bubbie boy.

That's so funny, Mojosmum, My goldens name is Ty and I also call him "my bubbie boy"....:D And ditto on "loving him to pieces":love:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How old is Ty? He is one HANDSOME boy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
mojosmum said:
How old is Ty? He is one HANDSOME boy!
Thank you! mojosmum, Ty is 21months old and weighs about 73 lbs.

His grand daddy was a pretty famous guy....Rush Hill's Haagen-Dazs(Kirby)...he has his own website at www.rushhill.com Didn't know it at the time a bought him from the breeder in CT. She did say that his Mom & Dad were Champions but I didn't pay to much because I had a limited registration and wasn't going to "show" Ty anyway.....I just wanted him for "My Bubbie Boy"....:D

There are more pics of Ty in the gallery under "adult goldens" and funny golden....I love taken pictures of him...he is so photogenic....I refer to him as "My Blonde Surfer Dude".....

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Grass eating: Sasha loved to eat grass and as you have been describing, she eats it the same way a horse ,cow or sheep would eat grass. I used to just laugh while I watched her eat it. I grew up being told that dogs eat grass when they have an upset stomach but Sasha wasn't sick when she ate it , she just liked the taste!:bowl:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just get worried that it'll get into the intestinal tract and clog it. Zoe was sick last night a couple of times (she was bumblebee hunting and the bee lost) and when she threw up it was full of grass - yuck! Didn't find the bee though, (thank you god)!

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Eating grass: Sasha didn't throw up grass but sometimes she would have trouble getting a particularly long piece out the other end :doh: . I would have to grab it with a tissue and try to pull it out. It makes me laugh just remembering it, but it didn't seem to cause any other type of trouble. :eek:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know just how you feel.....except I seldomly have a tissue on hand. The same thing happens when they eat a sock (heaven forbid) or a J cloth. If they're squating enough.....AND if they let me get close enough when they're in that position......AND if I can get my foot onto the offending piece of cloth THEN.......A gentle nudge to go forward and the butt wipe is out! If all the above doesn't work out right then it's back to the old "wish I had a tissue" routine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey there - I'm a newbie!

Hello all :wavey: ,
I just found this site today...don't even remember what I searched for! Thanks for starting it JOE!
My babygirl is Abby, she is about 2 years old. I say "about" becuase I rescued her last year. She was believed to be part of a puppy mill ring in Miami. She was found the morning after Hurricane Francis, eating out of a trashcan. She had just given birth (the vet says at least 2 births and she's not even 2 yet!) but they were unable to find the puppies. When I rescued her on Oct 9, 2004, she was sad and scared. She barely had any hair, was covered with black on her legs and stomach - which the vet says was a combo of urine stains and flea/ant bites. When you rubbed her, her hair would come out in clumps. And she had "old" eyes. Since the day I bought her home (and had her "fixed"!) I have had her on Nutro food and she is a different dog! She is BEAUTIFUL! Even the lady that rescued/found her says she can't believe it's the same dog! She is so happy and bright and bouncy. But an absolute joy too! There are some times that she is so quite, I forget she's in the house. I take her to my office with me every Friday and the kids at the daycare next door just love on her, and she just eats it up!
Many people are "so so" about adopting a grown dog, not knowing what you are going to get... but PLEASE do it! I'm telling you, they are so much easier than puppies, too! PLease rescue all the Golden babies you can! they are too sweet to not be loved and giving love!
anyway, I'll stop now! Just wanted to share My Abby's story!!!!
Bye!
Amy :wave:

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's a great story Amy. I guess that hurricane was a good one for Abby, she found a great new home.

You are right, people should consider rescue next time they want a new dog. Goldens are adaptable and make great rescues. But they can come with problems which may need a lot of work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts