Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be adopting a 6-1/2 year old Golden next Thursday. We have two indoor cats, ages 12 and 13, and are hoping that all will get along eventually and can peacefully co-exist. :crossfing The Golden has not been around cats before, but our cats lived with our previous dog, a mixed breed, for 11 years. He pretty much ignored the cats, and so we didn't have major issues.

Can anyone give advice on how best to introduce them, and how to avoid major conflicts? We are planning on having the dog stay in a large gated area in the house during the day when we are at work, and it will be located in such a way that the cats can come and go without having to go in the dog's area, and the dog cannot get to the cats. We plan on supervision of the cats and dog when we are home, but I am a little worried about how the dog will react to the cats! The siamese cat is quite a hisser/growler when dogs get to close, and has been known to scratch a nose or two if a dog doesn't take a hint continues to get too close to her.:no:

Are goldens usually good with cats? Advice, suggestions? We really want this adoption to be successful, so I welcome all help!

Karey

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would not force the issue. Let the cats come up on their own speed just make sure to be close by incase the dog gets frisky with the cat. But most cats will let the dog know if he is getting out of hand. Keep an area of the house strictly cats so they have a safe place to lay, eat and sleep. I keep a baby gate at the hallway leading to the bedrooms so the cats can go in there and I dont have to worry about the dogs.
Some dogs are fascinated by the cats and will try to play others will just ignore them. My two fosters tried to pick my cats up by their heads and I said leave it and they leave them alone. Do you know if the dog has been around cats?
Good luck and hope it all works out.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Beaushel has covered most of it- my only addition is not to let the dog fixate on the cat. When we brought Tucker home as a pup, we always redirected him when he got fixated on Tess. Never let the dog chase the cat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would not force the issue. Let the cats come up on their own speed just make sure to be close by incase the dog gets frisky with the cat. But most cats will let the dog know if he is getting out of hand. Keep an area of the house strictly cats so they have a safe place to lay, eat and sleep. I keep a baby gate at the hallway leading to the bedrooms so the cats can go in there and I dont have to worry about the dogs.
Some dogs are fascinated by the cats and will try to play others will just ignore them. My two fosters tried to pick my cats up by their heads and I said leave it and they leave them alone. Do you know if the dog has been around cats?
Good luck and hope it all works out.
The dog, Mika, has never been around cats. She has spent her entire life with other goldens, so the only time she would have seen a cat would be if it wandered into the backyard.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Then I would definetely slowly introduce them. My foster hasnt been around cats alot and she has done pretty good. Tries to pick them up and I just tell her No and leave. having safe places for the cats is very important. Good luck and hope it works out good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts