Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
Hi Ann

We had a pancreatitis scare with our beloved dog Molly when she was about 14 years old. My daughter and I had gone out for breakfast (she had a sausage and cheese omelet and I had a bagel) My daughter had about 1/2 of her omelet left and I had 1/2 bagel. Molly got the omelet and Jenny got the bagel. Within a few hours, Molly was very lethargic, wasn't moving, wouldn't drink water, etc. That night she didn't eat. The next morning things were not any better. We took Molly to the vet. The vet asked what she had eaten.....and I was told that pork could trigger a pancreatitis attack in dogs. They decided to do some tests and keep Molly overnight. In the meantime, my daughter had gotten violently ill and couldn't keep any food down. The next day Molly was a little better and was drinking a little water. I was told we could take Molly home. I told the vet that my daughter had also gotten sick......she then said there may have been salmonella poisoning from the eggs. At this point the vet bill was about $500, and Molly was feeling better. The vet wanted to do more tests , sonogram, etc. My husband announced "the meter has just stopped running" and we took her home. She was back to normal within a day or so. Even though it wasn't pancreatitis, I learned not to give the animals pork. When we get tempted, we remember the $500 "stomach ache".

1 - 1 of 1 Posts