Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:) Hi,:wave: I have been uploading photos to this site , some in the puppy section, members gallery and funny photos.....,and have a post on rainbow bridge in Jessie's memory. I have been enjoying reading the interesting posts and viewing the great photo gallery of all the handsome and beautiful retrievers, They are a breed like no other!!....as you would all agree!!!
I would like to introduce myself and my 2 retrievers Asha 4 and Hudson 5 and half months. We live in Port Lincoln South Australia.
I am wondering if any members have had any experience or heard of pancreatitis in dogs, I hadn't ...........until Asha became very sick a year ago and was diagnosed with it.The vet told me it is a condition which is usually related to overweight, older dogs,who are poorly exercised, and have a poor diet, ie..fatty foods and table scraps,..... none of which related to Asha who was 3 at the time. She had symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea,generally unwell, depressed, no appetite and in a great deal of pain as time went on and the blood tests revealed what the vet had diagonsed.We have no clue as to why she got this.
She was able to be nursed at home( I took a week off work to nurse and be with her) as she was going to be much more comfortable and loved at home, One night she was in so much pain and very unsettled I had her by our bed , but ended up laying on the carpet with her holding her paw,comforting her until she eventually settled.We were extremely worried about her that night!!!!
I visited the vet daily and they gave me antibiotics initially and she had to be on a drip as she was dehydrated,..which I administered at home, as she did not eat or hardly drank for 6 days. The levels in her pancreas were very high. The pancreas only recovers with rest and no food. She eventually began to eat again on a strict convalescing diet prescribed by the vet, and now is on Royal Cannin low fat dry food and 1/2 low fat wet canned food..... both especially designed for this condition. She did take several weeks to get back to her old self and energy levels.
After an attack like this dogs are diagnosed as having acute pancreatis, which can reoccur....so diet must be strictly low fat.
Asha had been good and her condition under control, but has had small symptoms reoccurring.... I decided to research sites and find a natural approach to help to control her symptoms, and found a naturapath, who did an on-line consultation for me. She did a very informative report.....and options for Asha, and she is now on a human enzyme daily for her pancreas, she agreed her diet of Royal cannin was acceptable, but did give other natural raw options,( much harder to manage and introduce)No beef bones only skinless chicken wings ..raw one a day. She can tolerate a small raw beef bone, occasionally.... but I buy premium, meaty ,non fatty bones and take the marrow out. Also the naturapath suggested to add to her drinking water liquid Chlorophyll (internal cleanser and tonic)and organic apple cider vinegar, these things aid her digestion also.
Anyway that's the story, Today Asha is going well, loves the beach with a passion and swimming, and enjoys her new buddy Hudson.
Look forward to hearing other members stories!!
Bye :wave:
Ann
'Dogs are Miracles with Paws'

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
Hi Ann

We had a pancreatitis scare with our beloved dog Molly when she was about 14 years old. My daughter and I had gone out for breakfast (she had a sausage and cheese omelet and I had a bagel) My daughter had about 1/2 of her omelet left and I had 1/2 bagel. Molly got the omelet and Jenny got the bagel. Within a few hours, Molly was very lethargic, wasn't moving, wouldn't drink water, etc. That night she didn't eat. The next morning things were not any better. We took Molly to the vet. The vet asked what she had eaten.....and I was told that pork could trigger a pancreatitis attack in dogs. They decided to do some tests and keep Molly overnight. In the meantime, my daughter had gotten violently ill and couldn't keep any food down. The next day Molly was a little better and was drinking a little water. I was told we could take Molly home. I told the vet that my daughter had also gotten sick......she then said there may have been salmonella poisoning from the eggs. At this point the vet bill was about $500, and Molly was feeling better. The vet wanted to do more tests , sonogram, etc. My husband announced "the meter has just stopped running" and we took her home. She was back to normal within a day or so. Even though it wasn't pancreatitis, I learned not to give the animals pork. When we get tempted, we remember the $500 "stomach ache".

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply

Hi Fran,
Thanks for sharing your story, you were lucky to be able to find the source of Molly's attack, I still wonder why! Must be off work awaits.... Have a nice day:eek:
Regards Ann:wave:

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Barb,

We live in Port Lincoln...a much colder place than sunny Queensland!
Asha believes she should swim all the year round !! Weather doesn't bother her ..... Hudson is learning to venture in and will learn from her.

Great to hear from you and look forward to hearing your doggie stories!

Have a couple of eager faces waiting ..... patiently for their walk,

Bye for now:eek:

Ann

·
Registered
122 Posts
well I am not thinking of sunny queensland as warm today!! It was -2 degrees when I woke this morning and at 1 pm it was 12 degrees (all temps celcius today guys!) Meg has a lovely warm weather proof coat to wear on cold days, even if she would prefer not too! cant believe that on monday we were all in t-shirts and today we are reaching for coats!

Your dogs are so lucky to be able to swim, it is so dry here that our local creek has all but dried up. So no swims for Meggles!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.