Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Her name is Wendy and she is from DVGRR! Wendy is a special girl because she is a former puppy mill breeder dog. Our application was approved a few weeks ago and we attended their monthly Meet & Greet two weeks ago. We were definitely drawn to the mill girls (there were 3 of them), but we had to wait and see what Chester thought.

Last Friday, the moment of truth came when we brought Chester to meet them and see what he thought. As soon as he met Wendy, the two were like instant BFF's. So many of the volunteers came to watch the two of them play. They said that she liked to play with other dogs but they had never seen her so happy as she was when she was playing with Chester. So we decided to adopt her.

As soon as we got home, Chester got a little territorial and started humping (something he doesn't do often and didn't do at all while at DVGRR). Fortunately, this only lasted about 2 days but she's been a little nervous around him since then. We've been in contact with folks at DVGRR and they don't seem to be concerned since she's still new to the house and she probably would have been nervous even if he hadn't humped. Plus, they had such a great bond while at DVGRR so they definitely believe they'll get that back.

Wendy is actually doing better than I expected. She has her "safe spot" in the house and spends a lot of time there. But she goes in and out of the house to do her business with no problem. She also eats her whole meal at breakfast and dinner...even when we're in the room. And just recently, she's started to have some random happy moments. She'll be laying down, but then she'll get up, get a big old smile on her face, wag her tail a little bit, and come over and lick our hands. This only lasts like a minute or two, but we love that she already has so much confidence and seems to be happy with us. We're definitely looking forward to watching her come out of her shell.

Here is a picture of Wendy and Chester hugging on the car ride home.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh, this just totally warmed my heart. I am so thankful that Wendy has home full of love, and Chester too.

Reactions: MittaBear

·
Registered
525 Posts
Looks like Chester's in LUUUUV. So happy that Wendy came home with y'all.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
OMG - you should totally send that photo to the rescue. They can use it as proof of a Success Story! That is just priceless. And what a great story. Wendy is a very lucky girl.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,645 Posts
Congratulations, Wendy is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!! Of course Chester is too. The picture of the two of them is priceless.

I have a former puppy mill momma. My girl had been abused both physically and verbally, she had a very long journey to get where she is today.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to contact me.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
This is wonderful. Congrats to you and Chester....oh, I guess I should add hubby too. :) Once she figures out that she is in her new home forever she will settle right in and she and Chester will be as thick as theives. Love that pic.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
Wendy is beautiful, and I absolutely love that name.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition!

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Congratulations! This is wonderful! I'm thrilled for you all! :)

·
Chester's Mommy
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone! We're definitely excited to see her improve everyday. We're amazed at how well she's done after only being here a week. I definitely wasn't expecting her to have these random moments of such happiness. But some of the volunteers at DVGRR did mention that they noticed there was something about us that she liked at the Meet & Greet.

Congratulations, Wendy is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!! Of course Chester is too. The picture of the two of them is priceless.

I have a former puppy mill momma. My girl had been abused both physically and verbally, she had a very long journey to get where she is today.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to contact me.
I'm so glad you took a puppy mill girl under your wing! I've always heard that they are hard work but it's very rewarding. I'm sure I'll need lots of advice along the way. :)

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Aww, she is so sweet! Looks like Chester is going to have a blast!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts