Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum several months ago, but am not sure if I ever introduced Rusty.

A breeder in NC rescued him from a neglectful place where he was kept outside all of the time and not cared for. I got him from her and brought him home to Georgia and it's been a wild ride ever since.

We had raised our beloved, Rico, from 7 weeks until he passed last year at 11 yrs and 2 mos. from bone cancer. He was one of those perfect dogs and our first Golden, so I was surprised when we got Rusty and discovered NOT ALL GOLDENS ARE ALIKE!!! HaHa! Imagine that!! :doh:

Rusty has seizures. The type where he spins in circles snarling and growling and attacking his leg and foot. He is on Phenobarbitol for them and still has a lot of growling. Growls at his reflection, growls at his shadow, growls at nothing at times! This past week I added 3mg melatonin to his Pheno and Benadryl and he is doing so much better with that. He seems calmer and not so anxious. Before you couldn't hug him - he didn't want you near his head. He wouldn't look you in the eye. Now I can finally hug him and often get the eye contact!

He still doesn't like having his picture taken, so I don't get many nice pictures. I haven't quite figured out how to add the pictures to my posts, anyway. Do I need to post them to a site like Photobucket first??

I belong to a few other forums, but this one I really have a hard time figuring out. I do enjoy the help from the teenage section and knowing I am not alone. :) And there are several threads I enjoy following. The pictures are just wonderful and I was really, really wanting a puppy again but after reading a few threads by those of you with puppies I am back to my sane-state-of-mind and will refrain. Oh, how I love them, tho, and I just loved raising Rico from 7 wks - but that was a long time ago and I had much more energy them.

We have another small dog that I got from a shelter. She is a mix of some kind of hunting dog and has short basset legs and feet. She is guessed to be 11 yrs and is as sweet as can be, but isn't interested in playing and running with Rusty. We would love to get another Golden and are keeping an eye out for one 5 yrs or older.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a picture of Maggie. She is such a sweet girl and has such soft fur it's hard to stop petting her. She's the only small dog we've ever had - it's always been labs and Goldens in our house.

Attachments

·
3 goldens
11,983 Posts
Rusty is a very handsome boy and ZMaggie is a cutie pie. I am so sorry Rusty has problems. Mostly likely it stems from his previous life.

Let me introduce myself. I am Sandra and live on the Texas coast. I grew up with English Setters and pointers. My family were quail hunters--at least all the men and so was I. Then in '78 a lost Irish Setter, no collar, showed up I couldn't locate his owner, so I kept him, Lost my last English Setter 2 years later. Lost the Irish 6 years later and was given (by my son's girl friend) another Irish Setter. He was an "only dog" for 9 years and then son got a golden retriever puppy to train for duck hunting, and he was a top duck dog. Lost the Irish to bone cancer at 12 1/2 years in '97. During the next years, only goldens. Lost my last golden in Sept. 2014 and adopted a 7 year old blind Great Pyrenees but so sadly lost him 3 1/3 weeks later to hemangiosarcoma. Adopted another 7 year old Pyrenees, Moose, and then an 11 year old golden retrieve, Sophie (who turned 12 last month.

Sophie had a seizure last Aug. We came in from the doctor's office and she was in tahe front hall and couldn't get up, had pooped all over herself, etc. Scared us to death. My vet thought it could be due to thyroid, ran test and sure enough, low thyroid.

Reactions: DebHow

·
Bella's Dad
1,833 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
That picture on the couch is a lot like our girl Bella.
We don't allow her on the furniture but she spends lots of time up side down on her pillow.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Welcome

I joined this forum several months ago, but am not sure if I ever introduced Rusty.

A breeder in NC rescued him from a neglectful place where he was kept outside all of the time and not cared for. I got him from her and brought him home to Georgia and it's been a wild ride ever since.

We had raised our beloved, Rico, from 7 weeks until he passed last year at 11 yrs and 2 mos. from bone cancer. He was one of those perfect dogs and our first Golden, so I was surprised when we got Rusty and discovered NOT ALL GOLDENS ARE ALIKE!!! HaHa! Imagine that!! :doh:

Rusty has seizures. The type where he spins in circles snarling and growling and attacking his leg and foot. He is on Phenobarbitol for them and still has a lot of growling. Growls at his reflection, growls at his shadow, growls at nothing at times! This past week I added 3mg melatonin to his Pheno and Benadryl and he is doing so much better with that. He seems calmer and not so anxious. Before you couldn't hug him - he didn't want you near his head. He wouldn't look you in the eye. Now I can finally hug him and often get the eye contact!

He still doesn't like having his picture taken, so I don't get many nice pictures. I haven't quite figured out how to add the pictures to my posts, anyway. Do I need to post them to a site like Photobucket first??

I belong to a few other forums, but this one I really have a hard time figuring out. I do enjoy the help from the teenage section and knowing I am not alone. :) And there are several threads I enjoy following. The pictures are just wonderful and I was really, really wanting a puppy again but after reading a few threads by those of you with puppies I am back to my sane-state-of-mind and will refrain. Oh, how I love them, tho, and I just loved raising Rico from 7 wks - but that was a long time ago and I had much more energy them.

We have another small dog that I got from a shelter. She is a mix of some kind of hunting dog and has short basset legs and feet. She is guessed to be 11 yrs and is as sweet as can be, but isn't interested in playing and running with Rusty. We would love to get another Golden and are keeping an eye out for one 5 yrs or older.
WELCOME to you, Rusty and Maggie! Bless you for rescuing. There is a place on the forum called Golden Retrievers with Seizures and Seizures 101, I am attaching the link.
There are pages of owners talking about seizures in their dogs.
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retrievers-seizures/

I'm sure you can find a lot of support there. Did you ask the Vet before adding any medication to why Rusty is supposed to get?
Sounds like you have enough to do taking care of Rusty and Maggie!! Puppies are a lot of work and we don't have the energy we used to either.
There are also Golden Retriever Rescues:
http://www.grca-nrc.org/localrescues.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rusty cuddling with his old hat

So far Rusty's favorite things are old sock tied together and old softball hats. (Working on teaching him to play ball.)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts