Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister is renting a beach house this fall/winter while they look for a house they want to buy. It's only a few steps to the beach so I'm pretty excited to visit and take Rookie to the ocean for the first time. He's been swimming lots of times, but always in fresh water lakes.

Any tips on how best to introduce him to the ocean? I'm mostly concerned about him drinking too much salt water and I think we all know what might happen if he does THAT!

Obviously, I'll make sure he has pooped before we hit the beach. Any other suggestions??

·
Debbie
644 Posts
My previous golden drank til she threw up. She only did that once. We have taken Riley in the river (which is brackish) and she did fine. She took a couple of sips and decided it wasn't for her. She was about 13 weeks old. I haven't taken her to the beach yet because the surf has been rough and I don't want to scare her.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have found that most of my dogs prefer just running along the surfline (about ankle to mid-leg deep). In the Northwest it's not that great for dog swimming in the Pacific. The waves hit them and they turn and blame you! Don't know about the Atlantic Coast, but we have to watch out for what we call "crab holes" - depressions that can turn turn a dog a** over teakettle and once again - they blame you!

Try to keep them from drinking, but it's almost impossible. Rinse them off after getting saltwater on them. It dries out the skin. Any water within a mile of the ocean will have some saltwater in it.

My dogs favorite beach activity is clearing off the birds. The pure innocent joy of removing a 100 bird flock of seagulls or sandpipers is is amazing.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Just make sure you have fresh water for him to drink and stop him if he drinks the salt water. On Bama's first time to the beach he just ran straight into the water. I had a long leash 25ft and he just swam right around. And then played tag with his cousin. It was so fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts