Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Stefano
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hello everyone from the Alps (please forgive any error I will make in your language)!

Rocky, a golden pup 12 weeks old, joined our family just four days ago.
A lot of info coming from the "allevamento" where we bought him, a lot of info coming fron the vet, but I am still worried about the joints "potential issue"! We should not have any problem from the genetic side as mother and father have an "A" in joints familiarity displasia.
Nevertheless I've been told that he should not walk upstairs or dowstairs until the age of 12 months, in addition he should not climb (meadows,easy tracks) and walk downhill (running would be very critical).
I am really worried about that, I live in Northern Italy very close to the Swiss border and we are very very often in the mountains any season any weather.
He is getting a tablet of a Human product for Joints Flex3plus(glucosamine, if I got it right) every day.
Do I have really to prevent him to do that, are they exaggerating?
any suggestion from your experience?
Thanks al lot

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Your English is fine. The only thing you need to avoid is lots of running and play on concrete and pavement. Your pup will be just fine running to his hearts content on grass and fields. Your pup can have all the fun he can handle on soft surfaces, you just need to limit his time on hard pavements.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Gentle exercise is imperative for muscle development and joint health. Your pup needs to run, walk and play, go up and down stairs-- all within reason- to build a healthy strong body. Keep your walks short and build up to longer ones, start out easy and work to more difficult ones - just like you, your pup needs to build strength and endurance.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,170 Posts
Welcome, you've gotten some great advice already, I agree with what the others have recommended.

Enjoy your new pup, hope you'll share some pictures of Rocky.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Welcome Stefano and Rocky. We would love to see pictures of your Rocky. Maybe you could limit some of his step climbing by carrying him at times. They do need to learn how to use the steps and the earlier they learn the better. When walking up and down steps have Rocky leashed so he cannot dash up or down and take flying jumps from any heights. I don't think limited slow gentle walking up and down would cause problems.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Hi and welcome! About the stairs: I still carry my 10 week old pup, but there is no way I would be carrying a one year old Golden! Just teach him slowly how to manage the steps. My 10 week old is a bit insecure going down ( only two steps now, she does not go to the second floor), but up the steps she manages fine.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Welcome to GRF! Only thing I would add is when playing ball, don't bounce it high so puppy leaps in the air and comes down hard on the ground And keep him from jumping down from high places like beds or other furniture. He is very cute! I hope you come back and show us how grows!

Oh yes--he will love his new home in the winter. Goldens love snow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts