Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've been through this several times. Don't be surprised if the older dog doesn't want to play very much. The pup will have a lot more energy than the older dog and might get told to "leave me alone". They do work it out. Just watch the pup trying to bite or play since the older dog might not like it. Play bows will be a good clue to the acceptance of the pup.
My 2 year old and the pup are inseparable, the 7 year old tolerates the pup. The last pup I had was with an 8 year old and they were the same way, no fights but not a lot of play. As others have said lots of room and leashes on all.
Two crates, one in each living area, make things easier.
okay great thank you for the info!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Dogs are very adaptable to change. Don't baby/reward any unusual behavior and it will end when the dog realizes it doesn't work. If the older dog wants to sleep in another room, let it sleep there. It isn't an insult to you it's just adapting to changes in its life. All will work out.
agreed! thank you so much I think I needed to hear that. lol!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I highly recommend the use of an ex-pen for the puppy. During the day when we were around to supervise, the puppy was in the ex-pen in the kitchen with his crate also in there. If you are monitoring and being good about taking the puppy out regularly, accidents should be minimal (and easy to clean up). The advantage of the ex-pen is that your pup is safe from your older dog and your older dog is safe from the puppy, but both can move around easily and naturally as they get used to each other. The puppy will likely be jumping around, playing with toys, and barking or whining at you or your dog. You can also gauge how your old dog feels about the puppy by how much he chooses to be near her and how he reacts to these "normal" puppy behaviors.

When I brought home my last puppy my current dog was dog reactive, so we were more than a little concerned about introducing them. We did introductions as have already been described for you (outside, both dogs on leash), but then the pup was either in her pen or behind a baby gate, especially the first few weeks. My older dog did bark at her when they were first introduced, and was clearly a bit concerned. For the first day or two, he'd lay near her pen, but if she moved he'd startled, jump up, and maybe bark at her for a few seconds. Within a few days he would just lay near the pen and watch her, showing no signs of concern. It took quite a while till we trusted them both off leash together, but eventually they were both fine together.

If you are lucky enough to have a dog that you already know likes other dogs and is mild mannered and tolerant, I'd still use the ex-pen (just as you would for a human toddler in a play pen) just to allow you some freedom and your older dog some peace, but I suspect your older dog will be "babysitting" in no time!
okay great thank you for that information! We actually were already planning on getting this "play pen" for the pup to play in during the day for his free time so he can be out but also not chew on any cords or anything that could hurt him. is this what you are referring to when you say "ex-pen"? Petmate 8-Panel Wire Dog Exercise Pen with Door, Black, Large - Chewy.com

·
Registered
423 Posts
okay great thank you for that information! We actually were already planning on getting this "play pen" for the pup to play in during the day for his free time so he can be out but also not chew on any cords or anything that could hurt him. is this what you are referring to when you say "ex-pen"? Petmate 8-Panel Wire Dog Exercise Pen with Door, Black, Large - Chewy.com
Yes, exactly! I would splurge on a fairly tall one... it will keep the pup contained for longer and I actually use my ex-pen even now (portable fencing, to block off areas inside and out, etc.).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes, exactly! I would splurge on a fairly tall one... it will keep the pup contained for longer and I actually use my ex-pen even now (portable fencing, to block off areas inside and out, etc.).
Okay great! Which height did you get that lasted you for sufficient time?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts