Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Zoey and Maisie's Mom
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I am Linda and I live in Western MA. I have 2 dogs, one Golden, 4, Maisie and one lab mix, Zoey, 6. We got Maisie when she was 16 months old. Wish i had had her as a pup, and although I purchased her from a family that had an ad in the paper, I don't think she was well treated well. She acts so strangely sometimes and has such separation issues, I know she was left alone in a laundry room most of the time, and is suspicious of my teenage son (they had a boy similiar in age).thankfully, she is fine when we aren't home, it's when you come back she is out of control.She is so loyal and loveable and I just love her to pieces. I just had to have a golden and a friend who knew I wanted one found the ad and even called it for info. We went the next day, brought her home with us for a few hours and then brought her back to arrange the transfer! She got along great with our other dog, who is wonderful, but just not the same as a golden. I know that may sound weird, but I think you GR lovers will know what I mean!Zoey just doesn't need all the hugs and fanfare, Maisie truly does and I give it to her as much as I can!I have a 14 year old son, who challenges me daily (hourly??) he is a good kid, but definitely going through middle school mania.I work as a paraprofessional (Ed Asst) in the same district whre my son goes to school and currently work in first grade as a one on one with a little boy. I am exhausted most days, and presently am enjoying my week off, mostly hanging around the house. It is cold here this week and I don't miss the twice daily outdoor recess, but I do go out to walk the girls under duress at least once/day.I am enjoying the respite, reading, jigsaw puzzles and renting lots of movies!DH likes to eat out (too much) so we tend to do that over the weekends.I guess that is about it, oh yeah, I also have a 17 year old cat named Sweet pea. She is one sweet girl and she and Maisie do well, so not with Zoey, so everyone doesn't go everywhere in this house. Lucky for SP zoey doesn't like stairs so she stays on the 2nd and 3rd floors!Maisie can go anywhere, as long as she is where I am...........follows me everywhere, even when i try to tell her I'll be right back, that I have to get something quick.....she has to come anyway!!zoey is 12 weeks post op for a ruptured ACL, so it has been a bumpy few months!Enough about me and mine..........hope to meet and greet many of you in the near future!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Hello and Welcome,
Sounds like you saved Maisie from an abusive home. She will blossom from all the love that she gets in your home but get used to her following you wherever you go. I havent had a private moment in the bathroom or tub since I have had goldens 12 yrs ago. But I am used to it. They love us so much and are BIG people dogs. They love dogs but people more.
I dont have kids so I dont know what you go thru with your son but there are alot of people here that can relate to you.
Cant wait to see pictures of your kids 2 and 4 legged. I have two goldens Beau 11 yr and Bama almost 7 mo and 1 american eskimo girl Shelby 8 yrs old and 3 cats 14 yrs Samantha, George 5 1/2 and 2 yrs old Starr.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Hello lammer29.
are you the same lammer29 that is also on tgrs? i;m soccermom on
tgrs. you'll find alot of people from tgrs that are now over here. joellen, cham, tom, barbara, doreen, buddy's mom - vitoria, tailer'sfolks, monomer and so many more...... welcome
beth, moose and angel:wave:

·
Premium Member
17,904 Posts
Welcome to the board! I'm glad you joined us, sounds like you know the meaning of "velcro dog"! We love pictures, please feel free to post some of your girls.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Hi and welcome aboard!! Nice to see all these familiar faces! Hope the sheer number of posts here doesn't leave you shell shocked... it's definately a different environment here at GRF! I'm Jersey's Mom wherever I go.

Julie and Jersey

·
Mom to 1 Human & 1 Dog
1,045 Posts
Hi there! Your Maisie looks so sweet! I'm glad that you rescued her from a bad situation. I'm from Milford, MA & was a primary school teacher before becoming a stay-at-home mom. First graders are the best in my opinion. They are still babies and not too fresh yet! Boy, I do not miss recess duty! Enjoy the rest of your vacation...you deserve it!

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
hello from MA

Hi Linda :wavey:...it's nice to have you come on board. I'm also from MA, near Worcester. I think that you will find this a friendly place to come to chat about your dogs.

My lab had ACL surgery when she was 7 yrs old. She is now 13 and is doing fine. My vet thought he was funny when he told me that there was 'good news' and 'bad news' about a dog that has ACL surgery. The 'bad news' is that they usually will need surgery on the other leg within 18 mo...the "good news" is that they only have two legs :uhoh: :doh:...very funny, huh...NOT? The good news for Hershey is that she never had to have a second surgery. I hope your labbie does just as well.

I have 3 goldens and 2 labs. Maisie is beautiful, don't forget to post lots of pictures.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
The 'bad news' is that they usually will need surgery on the other leg within 18 mo...the "good news" is that they only have two legs :uhoh: :doh:...very funny, huh...NOT?
I think that is the only thing I have laughed about so far, with all this ACL stuff. NOT funny, but why did I laugh ?? Humor is good, in everyhing :p:

Welcome Lammer!! I'm very happy to see you here!!!

:wavey:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hi,

Glad to see you arrived safely. I really really think we are going to like it here. Feels like home already.:jamming:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Hi and welcome. Sounds like your days are busy! I'm in CT but grew up in the WMass area. Look forward to hearing more about you and your pups.

·
Steelers and Pens Fanatic
744 Posts
Welcome Lammer--I came over to this site about 2-3 months ago - it's GREAT!! It's so funny how everyones coming over from the other site. Just today I see so many of you from there. My name is the same from there too!! Anyway, glad ya made it and ENJOY!!:wave:

·
Zoey and Maisie's Mom
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:wavey:thanks for the warm welcomes! I look forward to chatting and commiserating!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
The girls are beautiful, how did you get them to sit still like that? :bowl:

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Welcome to you, Maisie, Zoey and Sweet Pea. I am so glad Maisie and you found each other because she will strive so much under your care after her rough start. I hope Zoey continues to recover nicely from her ACL surgery and am looking forward to see and hear more about your girls.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The girls are beautiful, how did you get them to sit still like that? :bowl:
You know, cham, I think I've seen you asking everyone how they get their dogs to sit still for pictures...I'll give you a hint...hold the camera at all times. When Hailey sits still for more than 2 seconds, click away. hahha
:doh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts