Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experiences to share with giving their pup peanut butter? I'm dying to try it, but I've been through one diarreah experience, and am wary. My boy is 13 weeks.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I bought one for Tess, used it one time and she loved it...but I find the tube impossible to handle. Maybe, possibly, I'm doing something wrong, but it takes me forever to get it going, and when it does there's no stopping it. I make a kong for her filled with a little mashed banana, appelsauce, yoghurt and a little kibble and freeze it. She loves that and personally I think it's healthier than the peanutbutter.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Our dogs get peanut butter in their Kongs, but only a few times a month at the most because it's so high in calories and fat. It's a very rare and special treat in our house. We haven't started giving Tyson peanut butter yet since he's only about to turn 11 weeks old and I feel that he's still much too young to have totally new things added to his diet, so we're holding off for now with him.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
We use cream cheese mostly. Every once in a while peanut butter. We freeze the kongs with cream cheese and some fruit or veggies inside.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
We go through a ton of kongs here, so I use canned food mixed with kibble. The canned food allows it to be moist enough to stick in there. A can of food will fill quite a few kongs (6-8?).

·
Debbie
644 Posts
We go through a ton of kongs here, so I use canned food mixed with kibble. The canned food allows it to be moist enough to stick in there. A can of food will fill quite a few kongs (6-8?).
Great idea! I never thought of using canned food.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I use peanut butter in Kongs but very, very sparingly (just enough to plug the little hole).

For a very young pup who has never used Kongs, I would just spread a little with my finger inside the first ridge. That will give him the concept that good stuff can be licked out of it without creating a huge fat & calories supplement. Then I would move to filled/frozen ones.

My kongs are made out of green beans, sometimes a little canned food, water flavored with low sodium chicken broth and natural apple sauce. I have to freeze them in 2 steps but the girls like them a lot and they are "light" enough that they can have one every day without changing their food allotment in consequence.

·
Registered
774 Posts
You can also soak kibble for awhile and it becomes a moist paste. Its easier to stuff into a kong and freeze then.

Kris

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
The first time I stuffed a Kong with peanut butter (as well as other goodies) for Hank he was 5.5 months. No problems. Before that I smeared a little on the fridge door to keep him busy while I clipped his nails and gave him an empty jar to lick.

They do make peanut butter flavored kong stuffer for puppies in a can. I've seen it at PetsMart. I've used the liver flavored.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Holly (14 weeks today) has a peanut butter and mashed banana frozen Kong every morning while my wife and I enjoy our first cup of coffee. She has been getting this treat for 6 weeks now and she never had a problem with it. For the last two or three days I have been adding a spoonful or two of applesauce to the mix because I found some left over in the fridge and I wanted to add a little variety - this new mix freezes better and it takes Holly about an hour to get all of the stuff out (versus 1/2 hour with the peanut butter/banana mix). She loves it.

By the way, Holly never chews the Kong like dogs have been reported to do by others on this forum. She will lick out the goodies and then leave the Kong for me to clean and refill for the next day.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Josie loves the Kong filling, and it has never upset her tummy. I find the process of licking it out of the kong really calms her, and she's very sweet and lovable during and after she gets one. Bully sticks and other chewables tend to make her overstimualted and a little cranky, so I stick to the frozen Kongs. I do worry about the calories though - I'm going to try the applesauce and banana!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've been trying new things with Finn. Either he gets a little peanut butter smeared in his Kong or I stuff it with plain fat-free yogurt and one other item (ie apples, baby carrots, banana, or crumbled up milk bones). The banana & yogurt frozen Kong did cause a bit of loose stool, but the others have digested just fine. I try to keep them frozen so it takes him longer to eat and he is one of the type to just lick it out, he doesn't actually chew his Kong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well, i will give you my experience with my puppies
i give them two or three spoon peanut that would help to reduce the upset stomach.

i hope this help

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
What kind of peanut butter are you using? You should use the all-natural kind that is made of peanuts only...the other kinds (like Jif or Skippy) have sugar added which can cause diarrhea. I've not had a problem since using the all natural kind, and I also use it sparingly, just enough to seal the hole in the kong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 11 week old seems to do just fine with peanut butter from kongs. I give her at least one a day with about 1 tablespoon of either peanut butter or easycheese, but I dont give her too many treats during the day. Definitely always freeze the kongs though. It will double the time it takes the dog to get the food out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts