Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I got this adorable little girl a month ago, she weighed 10 lbs. at 14 weeks. She is now almost 4 months and is only 15 lbs. She is very small for her young age and she won't eat, especially dog food. I've tried everything that I can think of. One day she eats some, the next she doesn't. I did have her checked for pesticides, kind of was hoping that was the issue, its not. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get her to eat? I've tried water in her food, broth (she loves that, she'll lick it up, around the kibble), I've also cooked her chicken, rice, eggs. she now quit eating that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm really worried about her. thanks

Dog Carnivore Fawn Dog breed Companion dog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I've tried dry puppy food, two different kinds. Wet food, two different brands. Gave up on the puppy food and gave her chicken. She loved it, but has thrown it up a couple times I know of. She isn't eating it today. I did try salmon one night that I made for myself, but she loved it and I'm desperate for her to eat... but I'm hoping for a less expensive alternative. She eats better than I do!

I know that seems like a lot of different stuff and maybe I'm messing her up more? but like today, she has maybe had 3/4 cup of food for the day. She'll eat it one day then walk away the next. Ugh!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
She needs to see a vet for more than just parasite testing. Something is seriously wrong and she can't be diagnosed over the internet.

Poor baby. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I brought home a baggie of the food that they were feeding her she wouldn't touch it. she is now on day 2 of eating kibble with water, maybe this is the turning point. Fingers and toes crossed.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I brought home a baggie of the food that they were feeding her she wouldn't touch it. she is now on day 2 of eating kibble with water, maybe this is the turning point. Fingers and toes crossed.
Seems odd she does not eat what the breeder was feeding them, unless she was grossly underweight when you got her or maybe not yet weened? Have you considered what she is avoiding is the new water. It is not unusual for a new puppy to be upset by a change in water that is put on the food. If this is a possible problem, you may want to try some real clean bottled water or even get some from the breeders water supply, just to find out if it makes a difference.

Good luck

·
Registered
Billie
17 Posts
She's so cute. I am sorry to hear about her not eating. That must be so frustrating. I noticed you said that you gave her salmon and she loved it. I know that Purina Pro Plan has a salmon sensitive stomach puppy kibble. Maybe try that if you cant get into the vet right away? I hope she gets better soon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts