Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Serawyn
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am a new parent to the world of dogs. My husband, kitty, bunny, and I are anxiously waiting to bring our baby girl home in just two weeks. She will be 7 weeks old and we are just so happy to finally add a golden to our family.

We have never had a dog before so we've been learning and reading about goldens for the last two years. We've also spent a long time looking at rescue groups and animal shelters for a goldie. Last December, we finally decided that waiting for 15 years (since we were in elementary school!) and doing 2 years of research is enough time to wait to get a golden. We contacted a breeder in Oregon and will be bringing home our puppy. We are just over the moon!

Ellie is an observant and low energy dog who likes to sleep, eat, and follow her mom around. She is always the last to dive into a new situation because she likes to sit back, watch, and then make a decision...very much like my husband. We feel her energy level and our lifestyle will be a great match. Being first time dog owners, we wanted a very easy going and low energy dog. We know she still needs daily exercise, but a low energy dog is most important to us.

My husband and I are looking for a dog who will be able to go on long walks with us at least twice a day (we live right across from a huge state park with a lot of hiking trails), but also one who will be mellow and cuddly in the house. We have read many books on dogs and how to train a puppy, but it never seems enough to prepare us for the first day... I think one is really never "ready" for a puppy. :p

We realize that 7 weeks is early to bring home a puppy, but we've read so many pros and cons about the 8th week. In speaking with many breeders, they say the 8th week is when the dog will be very cautious and afraid of new situations. So our breeder told us that 7 is generally better for her puppies so that they will have a week to adjust to the new situation and THEN get cautious at 8 weeks.

Please share any stories or experiences/tips if you can think of for a new puppy mommy and daddy to be. It never hurts to read over and over what we need to do when we get our puppy!

Anyway, this forum looks like a wonderful place to be. I hope to gain some insights and share stories with you all about our girl's development! Until further adieu.... here are some photos of our beautiful baby girl, Ellie.

Attachments

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
She's adorable!!! Sleep now while you can!! :)

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Wow, she is a cutie! Congrats!!

·
Eleanor's Mom
597 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby!- I have an Ellie too. Her name is actually Eleanor, but Ellie is one of her numerous nicknames. My husband also says that Eleanor is way too serious a name for our goofball.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
She is adorable!!!! :) Please remember topost lots of pictures!! :D

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Ellie

Congrats!

I love her name and the pics are just so precious!!

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
hi and welcome! She's cute as a button. Looking forward to lots of pictures and stories as she grow up with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts