Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Brody - 3 months 10 days

Here's an updated photo of Brody at 3 mo. 10 days. :smile2:

All of a sudden, Brody had a growing spurt. He's growing like a weed. So far so good with our new pup. We're in the landshark phase for a while longer. Holding his snout while firmly saying No bite has worked well for us. He has been a bit more challenging to house train than our first Golden, but he's about 75% now. Hanging a bell on the door just hasn't clicked with him yet, but we're confident it will in time. He picked up fast on treats for commands. He sits, and shakes now without requiring a treat. Laying down is still a little challenging for him. Brody learned to fetch just a few days after getting him home. He walks well on lead, though he still pulls now and then, but not hard. He crates easily now, though we rarely keep him crated for more than 2-3 hours. He sleeps through the night without needing to go outside.

As I type this, Brody is snuggled up below me sleeping with his head on my foot. What a love!

The snow is melting now, so we're able to get out more as the temps have risen nicely. We've taken Brody on walks in downtown Crested Butte, which he enjoys so much. Unfortunately, we can't hardly walk down the street without everyone wanting to adore our Golden pup. What's not to love, right? :grin2: Taking walks downtown has been great for socializing Brody with people and dogs. He is adjusting very well to both, though we remind everyone about his landshark teeth, and we still need work to keep Brody from jumping up on people, but we're slowly getting there.

As for comparing Brody to our past Golden, River, while there are similarities, Brody is his own dog. The only real challenge we have as Brody gets bigger and bigger is with our cat, Bella. Brody plays pretty rough with Bella. We watch both closely. Bella has her escape route to run to as the playtime gets rough at times. We're hoping Brody will calm down in time, but we're not there yet. Bella still eggs Brody on just as much as he does to Bella. LOL!

As the snow continues to melt, we'll soon be able to take Brody hiking with us. We're so looking forward to the summer months, but for now, we're still deep in snow for a while longer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,217 Posts
Brody's such a good looking little guy.
Sounds like he's doing really well overall, it takes time.

Enjoying reading about him and Bella playing.

If you get tired of the snow, consider a trip to the Coast, it's been spring here for about 1.5 months, it's sunny and 73 currently. Water temps are still cold.....

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
He sounds like such a love bug and he is handsome! I'm so happy that he has found a great home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know your beloved River is watching from Rainbow Bridge and is smiling at your little angel sent to help fill the hole left in your heart when you lost him. Enjoy each & every puppy filled moment!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I know your beloved River is watching from Rainbow Bridge and is smiling at your little angel sent to help fill the hole left in your heart when you lost him. Enjoy each & every puppy filled moment!
I teared up reading your reply...Dog-gone-it! I thought I was past this stage, but I guess not. We have an oil painting of River (See photo below) my wife gave to me on my birthday years ago. I look at it on occasion, and can't help but think about him. Funny thing, I have an oil painting of River, but no oil paintings of my wife or sons. Go figure! LOL... River will always be close to my heart. For now, I have confidence God adopted him, too. 0:)

You're right about enjoying each and every puppy filled moment. Brody has already lost his puppy breath. He's a full blown toddler now, but oh what joy he has given to us already.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you for sharing your puppy journey with Brody and your memories of River. She lost our Tessa about 1 month after you lost River. I know your heartache and I'm happy to see your joy. I'll look forward to seeing more of Brody.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Brody at 5 months and going strong. He gained 10 lbs in the last month, and he's growing like a weed. :grin2: We still have a good bit of snow in Crested Butte, CO, and brody loves the snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Brody @ 5.5 months and 41.6 lbs. He still thinks he's a lap dog for the time being. :smile2: Bella and Brody have finally found their boundaries with each other.

By late June, the snow has finally melted away. We took Brody and Bella on a camping trip w/us for the first time. Brody did great in the camper. Bella had already had her first camping experience with us last fall when River was still w/us. Both Bella and Brody are great travel companions on the road. Life is back to normal for us...Just enjoying each day as they come. We were at an RV park on the Blue Mesa, just outside of Gunnison, CO. Next stop, the south rim of the Grand Canyon this coming August.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,217 Posts
Great pictures, Brody has grown into a handsome boy.
Great to see him with Bella, sounds like they have learned to work things out.

Must be a lot of fun RVing with them, enjoy!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Looks like Brody is well setup for some fun adventures. He's a very handsome guy. I am so glad you all found each other.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
So sorry for your loss of River but so happy for your new beginning with the pup. Congratulations.

·
Registered
17,479 Posts
Such great happy photos!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts