Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we were allowed to select our new pup at Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies (GRRR). My wife has a sinus infection, so she participated in the selection process via FaceTime. Not the ideal method, but modern technology enabled her to participate in the fun as well.

Actually, Brody selected us. Of the nine pups, four were males. So, the GRRR adoption representative had me go in a fenced area inside the nursery/home used for caring for puppies. I sat on the floor as the adoption coordinator brought in all four male pups, and set them free in the fenced area. Oh, what fun it was having four Golden Retriever pups all over me. I honestly wanted to take all of them home with me, but other families need puppy love just as we do.

One of the pups was a bit more rambunctious than the others, and he nipped my ear causing me to bleed all over the place. You'll see the blood on my thumb. :surprise: Oh well! Just a part of puppy love. :grin2: That said, his personality was a bit much for me, so we moved on to the others. One by one they greeted me, but there was this one lil pup who sat off to the side until his brothers finished their greeting. Then he gently came to me and sat in my lap. He never left me. I guess you could say it was love at first sight. My wife observed his interaction with me, and she agreed he was the perfect pup for us.

We were looking for a gentle disposition and this lil guy provided just the medicine to grab my heart, lots of puppy breath. He's a cuddler for sure...Brody made it clear that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with us, so the decision became an easy one to make.

The vet will be checking out the pups one final time today. Then my wife and I will make one more trip back to GRRR next weekend to complete the adoption process, and take Brody home to Crested Butte. I have to tip my hat to the GRRR organization. They do a thorough job in matching their rescue dogs/puppies with new homes. I have been really impressed with how thorough their staff is...very caring for their animals, and in assisting families in getting a Golden Retriever dog/puppy. :smile2:

River, you'll always have a special place in my heart. (River crossed over to the other side on 12/15/18. Brody was born eleven days later on 12/26/18.)

Attachments

·
Kristy
9,291 Posts
My heart goes out to you on the loss of River, what a handsome guy.... I hope that Brody brings you and your wife a whole lot of happiness and helps you on your way to healing. I think it's easier to focus on the future when you have a puppy to look forward to loving. Can't wait to see your homecoming photos, Brody is precious and is obviously going to be a lucky boy.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I so firmly believe the puppy you are meant to have somehow comes to you. It looks like Brody is that guy and I know River would be so glad to see you with a new guy to share your love.

·
Registered
17,479 Posts
Congratulations, he's lovely!.

·
Debbie624
352 Posts
Congratulations! Brody is a beautiful boy. I am sorry for your loss of River. It is so heartbreaking. It looks like Brody will bring you and your family much love and happiness.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition to your family! Brody will surely bring much joy to your home! I am sorry for your loss of River and I hope you will begin a new adventure with Brody.

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Congratulations! Brody is adorable :) . I’m sure River is smiling down seeing how much joy Brody is bringing to you both already. Can’t wait to see pictures from Gotcha Day!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
So sorry for your loss of River...and congratulations to you, your wife and Brody for finding each other. I can't help but picturing River nudging Brody to go over and see you :)
You wait till he gets to his new home with you..he'll be more relaxed and will really come out of his shell. I can hardly wait to read more about him and see new pictures.
All these new puppies....I would love one..but two is the limit..grrrr!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brody is home!

Finally! Brody is home safe and secure...:banana::banana::banana:He slept most of the 4.5-hour drive home. Already, he's a great traveling dog. :smile2: He didn't get car sick and seemed to enjoy sleeping most of the way. One of the things we've already learned is that he's a snuggler for sure. He so loves to snuggle your neck and lick my beard. LOL

He slept most of his first night in the crate, only up two times to go outside and winkey. He naturally wants to do his business outside, so we're already off to a great start with house training, and the bell has been tired to the door and used by us for now, but he'll catch on soon enough.

The rescue service provided us with a bag of food, which he eats, but not nearly as much as recommended, i.e. 1 cup per feeding 3 times per day. He eats about half that and then grazes afterward when he gets hungry.

I have to tip my hat to Golden Retriever Rescue of the Rockies. GRRR. They get 5 stars in my book. They have the adoption process tightly buttoned up from beginning to end. All nine puppies have gone to their new homes, including the retired mother, Amber, who also went to her forever home over the weekend. Before departing GRRR, we were given a bag full of goodies that included a collar, leash, blanket, several fun toys and a bag of food with ample reading materials to help us once again become acclimated to puppy life. Our adoption coordinator, Roberta Miller is a rock star. She was easy to get in touch with and returned our calls promptly if not immediately available. The adoption process was a bit challenging, but in hindsight, it should be when considering just how special a Golden Retriever is. A Golden deserves as much from anyone involved in the homing process. In fact, all dogs deserve as much...

So, our journey begins. Welcome home, Brody! :love:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,217 Posts
Congratulations Brody is ADORABLE........

I am so glad the process and experience of adopting him went so well, GRRR sounds like a wonderful group. Great to hear all the puppies and momma went to their new homes.

Looking forward to your updates, keep the pictures coming.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Oh how sweet.. just seeing this thread!!!! Brody is so handsome.....I can smell his puppy breath from here!!! I'm sure River had a hand in Brody picking you out...I find the whole process of matching puppy and owner so fascinating....
I absolutely love that first pic on his ride home...looks like an awesome smile on his face...reminds me of Snoopy!!! Best of luck with your new furbaby, can't wait to watch him grow!!:smile2:

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
LOVE IT!!! Thanks for the pictures. You know we live vicariously when we see puppies. I am so happy for you two and Brody.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bronchial Cough???

Not overly worried right now, but do have a question for you guys...So, when Brody was on his way home, we noticed he had a very slight bronchial cough that didn't seem much to be overly concerned about. After the first week, we noticed the cough worsened a bit. So, I took him to the vet...Our vet was cautious in that she met me in my car to check him out with her instruments. She listened to his heart and lungs and took his temp. In her words, she said he is perfect...She met us in my car to avoid the possibility of spreading Kennel cough within the Vet hospital and to avoid exposing him to any other infectious bacteria. I thought this was very thoughtful of her for all concerned.

A couple of things I know you will want to know...Yes, we contacted the rescue service to see if any of the other pups were experiencing the same. The adoption coordinator mentioned that one other pup had a similar condition, but only Brody and the other pup from the litter of nine were reporting this condition. Other pups could be experiencing the same condition, but the pet owners may simply have not reported such back to the rescue service... Brody is eating and drinking well. His appetite has increased and he is growing nicely. His energy is high and playful. He is by no means lethargic. LOL He is pooping and peeing normally, though his poop is on the soft side - not what I would call firm, though at times his poop is more firm... He doesn't have any eye or nose discharge. Other than the occasional cough, he seems to be in perfect health. Since he is still so young, we're aware that if his condition worsens, he could go downhill rapidly, so we're keeping a very close eye on him.

The vet and I agreed to keep a close eye on his condition. If anything changes in his condition we have an emergency number to call her. We have a truly caring vet to work with.

Brody is scheduled for his next round of vaccinations in two weeks. My wife and I are thinking this is something he will simply grow through since he is now 9 weeks and days old and still developing. Maybe he is getting water in his windpipe when he drinks water, so we raised his bowl off the floor a bit to see if this helps keep water from getting into his windpipe.

So, any thoughts or experience with puppies with his condition?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
My first Golden puppy came from a shelter situation and she had a little kennel cough. She got over it in a couple weeks, I think (it was so long ago). I don't remember it being a big deal at all. I do remember that she got loose while we were gone (before we knew about crates) ate a little bit of a furnace filter and for a week the vet thought she had parvo. Then when she wasn't dying, they did an xray and discovered the filter material. The parvo scare totally overshadowed the kennel cough. We've gotten a lot better at "doing puppy" since then.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts