Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ha I forget how big he’s grown till I look at old pics. Wonder how Ella feels about that..
View attachment 883686

New leash holder from Etsy! With Ella’s purple girl leash. Technically Atlas was tan boy but we got him a hunter green leash. The artist really captured their expressions.
View attachment 883687
I love the leash holder! Can you share the Etsy shop link? Your pups are adorable!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I love the leash holder! Can you share the Etsy shop link? Your pups are adorable!
Yes! It’s the custom oil leash holder. I don’t see it on her shop currently but there’s a note about her reducing her items for the next couple weeks. I’d send her a message if you’re interested.

·
Super Moderator
3,011 Posts
They are so precious!!! I can’t believe how big Atlas is now!

·
Super Moderator
3,011 Posts
I know, I don't know where my little fluff ball went. He's all legs and limbs. Finally grew into his big ears too
the saddest part of puppies growing up! Suddenly all the body parts just fit together again

Reactions: rosegold

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
This guy just loves life! We just got some grass seed laid down and the sprinkler is his new best friend.
Dog Sky Cloud Carnivore Plant

Assuming at 10 months old he’s at 85% of his adult weight, he should end up a touch below 75lb, right at breed standard.
Dog Facial expression Vertebrate Product Mammal

Boy, is this guy happy happy happy. He even wags his tail in his sleep.
Dog Eye Carnivore Dog breed Whiskers

Now that he’s nearing a year I’m considering thinking about trials for next year - for Beginner Novice to start. We still have a lot to work on though, including sustained heeling attention with no treats or praise, lagging at fast paces and right circles, and a tendency to pace rather than trot. He does have a very green handler to deal with after all 😅
I ring stewarded at our nearby kennel club’s recent trial and was so impressed at some of the dogs competing there. I realized there that we need to get a soft crate. We got an elite field and are working on getting Atlas acclimatized to it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Obedience class last night was fun. We did callouts on steroids, with frequent callouts and doing halts/about turns during fast and slow paces. This was all done through a minefield of stuffies and toys. Atlas did pretty well until he got to the big box of stuffies and I did an about turn right at them, pointing his face right into the box... he took awhile to catch up to me after that lol. I was thinking about when we did a similar exercise though, a couple months ago, and he was SO distracted. His focus is improving.

Road surface Asphalt Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Snout

We also did stand for exam with the judge having helium balloons strapped to her - love how creative our instructors are. Our homework is to work on fronts -- he still has a lot of trouble with crooked fronts. Someone noticed that Atlas brushes against me when he finishes, which is points off. I was grateful because (a) I never noticed his love-brush against my thigh, and (b) didn't realize that was a point deduction.

Tonight we are beginning therapy dog class. I want to get him and my older girl certified in our area. We meet inside Lowes. We also got around to filming his trick dog intermediate and he has a new TKI title!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Atlas at Lowes last night. We did mock therapy visits. It was a good opportunity to proof commands for him. Ella just soaked up all the love and attention; I'm so glad we're doing this with her as she really seems to love it. We did certify Ella for therapy in another city, but we had to move soon after.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Companion dog

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Atlas at Lowes last night. We did mock therapy visits. It was a good opportunity to proof commands for him. Ella just soaked up all the love and attention; I'm so glad we're doing this with her as she really seems to love it. We did certify Ella for therapy in another city, but we had to move soon after.
View attachment 886273
He's so pretty! Precious also -- I love his sweet smile.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Obedience class last night was fun. We did callouts on steroids, with frequent callouts and doing halts/about turns during fast and slow paces. This was all done through a minefield of stuffies and toys. Atlas did pretty well until he got to the big box of stuffies and I did an about turn right at them, pointing his face right into the box... he took awhile to catch up to me after that lol. I was thinking about when we did a similar exercise though, a couple months ago, and he was SO distracted. His focus is improving.

View attachment 886256 View attachment 886257

We also did stand for exam with the judge having helium balloons strapped to her - love how creative our instructors are. Our homework is to work on fronts -- he still has a lot of trouble with crooked fronts. Someone noticed that Atlas brushes against me when he finishes, which is points off. I was grateful because (a) I never noticed his love-brush against my thigh, and (b) didn't realize that was a point deduction.

Tonight we are beginning therapy dog class. I want to get him and my older girl certified in our area. We meet inside Lowes. We also got around to filming his trick dog intermediate and he has a new TKI title!
Nice! Congratulations on the TKI!! Logan's kryptonite is anytime they have a metal bowl in the ring. He is so distracted by metal bowls. Hopefully, there will be zero of those in an actual trial. :ROFLMAO: In the room where we do callouts, we are surrounded and sometime almost impeded by dogs doing other things -- like dumbbell retrieves, directed jumps and such. We heel all around the action. I think I mess up my footwork more than Logan messes up his heeling.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Nice! Congratulations on the TKI!! Logan's kryptonite is anytime they have a metal bowl in the ring. He is so distracted by metal bowls. Hopefully, there will be zero of those in an actual trial. :ROFLMAO: In the room where we do callouts, we are surrounded and sometime almost impeded by dogs doing other things -- like dumbbell retrieves, directed jumps and such. We heel all around the action. I think I mess up my footwork more than Logan messes up his heeling.
Thanks! It really is nice to have distractions baked into the training environment. If we skip a week of class I definitely notice Atlas is more distractible. I was watching Connie's webinar about whether you're ready to compete, and one thing she'd mentioned to do before a trial is bad footwork on purpose, so your dog gets used to problem solving. If I use that as my criteria, I'm more than ready to go into the ring LOL.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thanks! It really is nice to have distractions baked into the training environment. If we skip a week of class I definitely notice Atlas is more distractible. I was watching Connie's webinar about whether you're ready to compete, and one thing she'd mentioned to do before a trial is bad footwork on purpose, so your dog gets used to problem solving. If I use that as my criteria, I'm more than ready to go into the ring LOL.
Me too. Very ready. 😅

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
At class yesterday I was happy to find out that a handsome young dog in our class just won his CH this weekend. The remaining three dogs in our class are Grand Champions, and two of them owner handled. They're all beautiful. We did recalls, sit/stand for exam, and figure 8's, with toys scattered throughout the ring.

On the recall, there was a big slice of dried beef lung in a perforated container directly in Atlas's path. I was pretty sure he'd go for that instead of me. Sure enough he did. We tried it again with me saying leave it, and he did come towards me, albeit reluctantly. It reminds me of that saying, "What am I, chopped liver?!" Well I wish I was chopped liver to Atlas lol. I am going to try practicing recall around treats more this week.

I found out my footwork on the Figure 8 is erratic and confusing Atlas. I looked back at the video and one of my circles was about twice as big as the other. Additionally, I get slower and faster whenever I feel like it apparently :ROFLMAO:. For homework, I have two cones set up back and will practicing footwork on my own without him.

A couple photos I snapped of Atlas out back yesterday.
Dog Sky Plant Carnivore Dog breed

Dog Sky Plant Tree Grass

And Ella, not to be outdone..
Dog Furniture Couch Chair Comfort

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Atlas is so handsome! Ella is a beauty too. It sounds like you are in a great class. My instructor suggested when we are training alone at the Columbia obedience club to put tempting food in containers with perforated lids for distraction.

As for heeling, when I look at videos of me practicing alone with Logan it looks semi-decent. When I’m in class with an instructor behind me hollering commands, it can get ugly real quickly. 😅 They told me to practice often without my dog also.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Thank you!! It’s a great place to train. I’m glad we found it.

Ah the callouts. At Connie’s webinar this Monday she mentioned what to do when you’re about to run into the gate and the judge still hasn’t given you your next call out. I honestly hadn’t even thought of that or thought that could happen. I think Atlas would just bust through the ring gates; I’d probably be in a heap on the floor next to him 😅

81 - 100 of 100 Posts