Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
They are adorable!! BFFs for life! Wondered what your best advice is for that first night home? We pick up our boy Finn on Friday and we cannot wait!! Congratulations!!
Congratulations, you must be so excited!

I'd recommend having everything at home ready to go before you bring the puppy home -- puppy proofing, X pen set up, crate with divider, food and water bowls, potty treats, nature's miracle, clean towels, clean floors. And even prespraying the leash with bitter apple, having meals/food ready in the fridge/freezer, and clean laundry. Bc things will be hectic once puppy sets paws in. And frozen Kongs with small amounts of the puppy's wet/mashed food for crate times (we did a small spoonful).

First day would want to have a safe dog proof place like the kitchen gated off for the puppy, and crate for overnight somewhere that makes sense (ours was next to the bed). If you can do crate games for the first day's meals (feeding in crate, throwing kibble in crate), that'll make nighttime easier for pup, as will a frozen kong.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Atlas seems like one lucky pupper! Exciting to watch all you are doing with him!
Thanks, I think he has an added dimension in his life with having another older dog in the house. Ella grew up in the city and met plenty of dogs, but we are in the suburbs now so I’m glad he has a canine buddy to teach him doggy etiquette. He is a pretty adventurous guy so it’s fun introducing new things to him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations, you must be so excited!

I'd recommend having everything at home ready to go before you bring the puppy home -- puppy proofing, X pen set up, crate with divider, food and water bowls, potty treats, nature's miracle, clean towels, clean floors. And even prespraying the leash with bitter apple, having meals/food ready in the fridge/freezer, and clean laundry. Bc things will be hectic once puppy sets paws in. And frozen Kongs with small amounts of the puppy's wet/mashed food for crate times (we did a small spoonful).

First day would want to have a safe dog proof place like the kitchen gated off for the puppy, and crate for overnight somewhere that makes sense (ours was next to the bed). If you can do crate games for the first day's meals (feeding in crate, throwing kibble in crate), that'll make nighttime easier for pup, as will a frozen kong.
THANK YOU! Great advice!! Need to go pre-spray the leash -- had not thought of that!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Why is he trained to hold spoons? For dumbbell retrieves later?
Yes pretty much - in obedience, the scent articles they retrieve are metal, leather, or wood. Holding metal doesn't come as naturally to dogs as holding other types of materials, so introducing metal as a puppy can help with that. The spoons were a suggestion I received, since we don't currently have a metal article set.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Atlas is now 13 weeks old. We are so thankful that he is doing great sleeping through the night - we really love our sleep. So far no accidents for the past 3 weeks, although we still keep a very close eye on him in the house.

Our new challenge - backyard weeds! He hunts them down as if it's his full time job. It's actually great motivation for us to get some spring weeding done.

We are waiting for teething to start; I read that boys start teething later than girls. I do remember our girl being more bitey at this age. I'm always keeping my eye out for good and safe chew toys.

Ella has decided that she is the rightful owner of all Atlas's Kong cozies. As they've been on sale recently, we got her an elephant of her own, and have added the Kong cozie rhino and alligator to our collection. One thing we've discovered that Atlas likes to do is to methodically rip out the fur of his toys and try to eat it. For some reason the Kong cozie fur is resistant to being ripped out by him, so it looks like these will be our stuffies of choice.

This toy will never go out of style!

They do love each other and are doing much better with settling and being calm around each other.

We try to keep him away from the dishwasher but this shot makes me laugh!

I can't believe how adultlike he looks in this photo. I'm getting glimpses of what he may look like when he gets older.

Maybe it's because of the car ride to get him, but he loves the car! It puts him right to sleep and here he is yawning.

He looked up at me after burrowing around for a toy, and I noticed he had a very "Hairy" Potter like dirt mark on his forehead LOL.

I set up a home grooming table and have been introducing it slowly to him. He's been doing great!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
ELLA IS SO SWEET!!!!!!!! Prettiest Golden I've ever saw! Atlas is such a cutie pie!
Thank you, that’s so nice of you to say! Ella would agree with you, lol she believes she deserves all the admiration when we are out and about.

I think the two of them will end up being a very similar shade of gold when Atlas grows up, which will be neat to see.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
These are awesome photos again! He's doing so well! We have that same snake toy LOL! As someone who also drove a long way to get their puppy - Summit is the exact same about the vehicle. Loves it! And puts her right to sleep :)
Thanks! Puppyhood is going much more smoothly than with our first, mainly due to slightly less clueless owners ;)

The snake toy is actually the one of the first toys we thought of to buy for Atlas. We remember how much Ella loved hers. Didn’t anticipate them playing with it together though.

And yes the car thing is a great side perk of the long drive for puppy pickup!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thank you, that’s so nice of you to say! Ella would agree with you, lol she believes she deserves all the admiration when we are out and about.

I think the two of them will end up being a very similar shade of gold when Atlas grows up, which will be neat to see.
That's great! I wasn't just referring to her fur color, I was also referring to her face! So elegant!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ella and Atlas seem like they are the best of pals! :). Is it just me or is Atlas getting cuter as he grows? He is so cute and Ella is pretty as always! :D

·
Kristy
10,281 Posts
Great photos!! He is still looking so great, the one of him with his paws on the gate is my favorite. Cracking up - the snake toy is the favorite at our house, our dogs play tug with it together almost every day. Keep the updates coming, so fun to see how things are going.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Great photos!! He is still looking so great, the one of him with his paws on the gate is my favorite. Cracking up - the snake toy is the favorite at our house, our dogs play tug with it together almost every day. Keep the updates coming, so fun to see how things are going.
That's one of my favorite pictures of him too; I can see a lot of his sire in him and am hoping he inherits some of those good looks.

Funny that your dogs play tug with it too! It's such a durable toy, definitely worth the price. This month will be exciting in that he's started puppy classes, and should get his final parvo shot in a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to being able to go out and about more with him.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Can’t believe another month’s gone by. This month has had lots of changes for 18 week old Atlas.

Our little buddy’s started teething and has all his adult incisors now. We haven’t seen any of his baby teeth laying around, I guess he must have swallowed them. I can literally FEEL the heat coming off of his gums sometimes and I feel bad for the little guy. We do freeze some toys and washcloths for him but I haven’t noticed him having a preference for the cold frozen toys over regular.

One very unexpected thing - he hasn’t bitten us once since we got him. I am probably speaking too soon! But with our first, our hands were COVERED with little scrapes, and I had to throw away a bag of clothes due to puppy rips. I suppose it helps a lot having a big sister to teach bite inhibition.

Potty training update: The day after my previous post where I said he hadn’t had any accidents in weeks, he had two pee accidents lol. None after that, but that is mainly due to us anticipating him. I haven’t noticed him giving us any signals that he has to go out.

Training update - Atlas graduated puppy kindergarten / AKC STAR. It was so nice to do training in a classroom with other dogs and people. We were really happy with our instructors and facility. At the end of the last class, they set up a full (!) rally course and had each puppy walk it in the middle of the other dogs. It was a bit much for Atlas. Lots of distractions and he was already exhausted after no nap time and the hourlong class. We managed to make it through the course but it definitely showed us how much more there was for these pups to learn. I guess that was the point!

Atlas also got his AKC Trick Dog Novice title this month. A simple trick but our favorite is shake (left paw) and paw (right paw) - love when he offers up that little paw to us. He is a little sponge for tricks and they’re fun to teach as games.

For Trick Dog Intermediate we’d like to teach the head tilt - he does it when he’s confused and I think it's so cute!

Zonked out after class -

Our next class will be Family Obedience at our local kennel club. We hope to do competitive obedience classes there in the future. Ella is just finishing up her rally class this month too. Here is a fun training bag we had made for our two fur-kids. Whenever I look at it I smile.

I’ve noticed an increase in Atlas’s energy levels this month. So thankful that he has his big sister to run around with. The wrestling and chase with big sister do so much to burn off the excess energy.

Here he is in a “Settle” on his mat, while I do my best to cook dinner :p

We have been loving this spring weather - in a way I'm glad that we took care of the house training, puppy shots, and basic commands while it was cold out. Now we can enjoy the nice weather and start proofing commands outdoors.

Atlas also had his first beach trip this month after getting all his puppy vaccines. There were so many new smells to explore, some not so glamorous like horseshoe crabs and dead fish. We’re looking forward to more beach walks as there are many nearby. I’d also like for him to meet more people as the weather gets warmer. One suggestion I saw on Life with Rune was to go to an outdoor shopping center. I thought that was a really great suggestion and we'll probably try it when we get a chance.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts