Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be visiting my cousin and her 2 children on Tuesday, and I'll be taking Flora, my 14 week old pup who is shy around other dogs. Her husband has a dog, an 11 year old dachshund, who, put bluntly, is a little ****. I like him, but he's barky, nippy, and just a big brat. I think he's actually a pretty insecure dog. My cousin is probably going to be someone who would be willing to watch Flora if I went on a vacation, so I want to make sure things work out between Flora and Jake, the dachshund.

How should I go about introducing them? I figured I would ask my cousin to keep Jake on a leash and I'd have Flora on a leash, and we could have them interact a little bit in the yard. I'm hoping since Jake is smaller than Flora maybe Flora won't feel so overwhelmed, but she is a very submissive dog and I don't want Jake being a jerk to her. I also thought maybe we'd just keep Jake on a leash and let Flora run around the yard, but to Jake that may be a huge insult, since a new dog would be running around in his territory while he's on a leash.

Any suggestions? Am I making too big a deal out of this?

Jake has gotten along okay with other dogs - he never bothered Carmella and he lived with a large black lab for several years quite peacefully, so I figure once Flora gets bigger he'll probably leave her alone, I just don't want to have a negative experience this time around. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
BEST way to introduce 2 dogs is on neutral ground. Take them both for a walk with your friend, and have them meet on the street and walk around a bit together. When they seem ok with each other, then move to the backyard, and definitely prefer unleashed with you "parents" standing back and letting them become acquainted. Good luck!!

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BEST way to introduce 2 dogs is on neutral ground. Take them both for a walk with your friend, and have them meet on the street and walk around a bit together. When they seem ok with each other, then move to the backyard, and definitely prefer unleashed with you "parents" standing back and letting them become acquainted. Good luck!!
Ah! Good idea. I'll tell Julie to get Jake ready for a walk and we can take them on a little trip around the block. I feel dumb for not thinking of that - thank you!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Marlene stole my answer. I was going to say the same thing. Maybe with Flora being larger will help to make her feel secure.

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marlene stole my answer. I was going to say the same thing. Maybe with Flora being larger will help to make her feel secure.
I hope so. But Jake is a little pisser. He'll yap and yap and yap. My cousin really doesn't like him (in a loving way of course), but it's her hubby's dog so he's there to stay!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'd keep your pup leashed so you can keep her close, and also take your crate, so you'll have a safe spot for her when you can't supervise. This is how we handled the pups around the grandkids.... so it's my best bet for your situation.

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd keep your pup leashed so you can keep her close, and also take your crate, so you'll have a safe spot for her when you can't supervise. This is how we handled the pups around the grandkids.... so it's my best bet for your situation.
Well, I know Julie (my cousin) will happily shut Jake up in another room if he bothers her too much. I'd bring the crate, but... Flora doesn't really LIKE her crate all that much, and it's way too cumbersome. If things go badly between the two dogs, I'm sure Julie will just put him in the basement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts