Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

We are bringing home a little brother for Cooper this weekend and are wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the best way to introduce them for the first time?

Someone suggested neutral ground (which makes sense to me since I rescue rabbits and this is what we do with them). Will our backyward be sufficient since we live in a condo park and we share the space with our neighbors who have a golden as well? I dont think Cooper views it as "his" space since the neighbors dog is often out there.

Or should we take them to a park? I worry about the cold weather here with the little pup and dont want to overwhelm him. Cooper is a very gentle dog (he snuggles with my bunnies) but, like any young dog (he just turned one) he gets excited easily.

Thanks so much for any suggestions. We are very excited!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I would think your yard should be fine especially since you are bringing home a puppy. A crate for the new arrival will be a help and let you have some quality time with your existing dog. I would also suggest you pick all the dog toys and chews in the house and dole them out slowly starting with the lowest value (in the dogs minds).

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Congratulations! I think the common area of your condo should be fine. Especially since Cooper seems to be a very gentle dog.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree with fostermom and OaklysDad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! The breeder is bringing the puppy down from her new home in northern michigan so he will be in the car for 3 hours before he gets here. Do you think we should gate off an area and give him time to get accimated before he meets Cooper?
Im trying so hard to balance both of their needs in this situation. I really appreciate any input!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I would give the puppy some time in the yard to stretch his legs and maybe even burn a little energy before Cooper comes outside to meet his new brother if possible. Most likely the puppy will have slept for the the full three hours. Most adult dogs I've met have a pretty good sense about puppies and treat them pretty carefully. Try not to pick the puppy up unless things go really south. It is OK for Cooper to correct the puppy if the puppy is nipping too hard. Do your best to let them work things out.

Hope that helps.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I have found that the best way to introduce a new dog is by doing something together that's fun and exciting. Maybe something like a walk together? Let them warm up to each other gradually where there's another focus besides just themselves. I'm sure all will go well but the walk has the added bonus of burning off some of Cooper's excitement ... might be easier for your new puppy, and you :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Congratulations and good luck!

·
Registered
869 Posts
HOw exciting. We just did this in Sept. Kadence was 8 months when we got Kuper as a puppy. Our breeder let us bring Kadence to her home & our dogs actually met there 1st. You don't really have a problem with the puppy being possessive of his area, they are young enough to go with the flow. We then actually met up at a part where we visited a short while with outr oldest puppies litter mate & our new puppy. Only did that because they lived near where we picked up the new puppy.
Once we got home we let them both out side because it was about a 2- 2 1/2 hour ride home for us.

Once inside they started to feel each other out. We tried to pay a lot of attention to our oldest dog because we didn't want her to feel like this new guy was getting the attention. The puppy just doesn't have that bond yet so he didn't mind if we were paying more attention to the older one.
When they played we were very careful. I thought they were playing too rough but our breeder assured us it was normal & the littel one will let the older one know if they don't like it. We still told the older one quite a few times "gentle, he is a baby" I actually even sent our breeder a video clip because I thought it was too rough.

We did put their crates right next to each other but left the older one out in the beginning longer so we had alone time with her. Same thing during the day some. If I couldn't keep a close eye on the puppy for potty training purposes he was in his crate but the older one was out.

Sometimes my husband would take th eolder one for a walk which gave me alone time with the puppy for training.

They still wrestle & tussle, but they do finally lay down together also. I think introducuing a puppy & older dog is easier than another older dog.

Good luck! I love having 2. It really made things easier. They keep each other entertained & the younger one followed right along making potty training him even easier than her. He actually barks at the dog & she never did.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I think the yard is a very good meeting place for you're new pup, I never had a problem introducing a new dog/pup to my house, longest they met in the back yard first.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input. We are so excited. We are meeting the breeder bright and early tomorrow morning! I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Congratulation! I agree with the previous replies. My two are siblings by the same father so they are truely brother and sister. They get along great and have their crates side-by-side. We actually got Scotty because Sully had too much energy for our older basset. It works out great and my husband and I each have a golden to snuggle with while watching TV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts