Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure is this is the right place to post this; I hope so.

In May I will be bringing home an 8 week old boy puppy :D (haven't come up with a name yet.) My question is I have a 4 year old (spayed)female Golden and a 4year old (neutered) male Lab. A friend of mine came over with his English Cream puppy a few months ago. Jinger seemed ok, she sniffed and licked the puppy and tried to play with it. Noah was kind of OK but he kind of growled and snapped at the puppy a couple of times.

Since I'm preparing for a new puppy (I've never raised a puppy. Both my dogs were a year old when we got them) I need to know how to introduce the puppy and how to keep him safe. My husband said that Noah was just letting my friends puppy know that he was the boss. It kind of scared me.

This will be a new experience for me and I want all my dogs to be one big happy family.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I think you're husband is probably correct. It's important for the existing dogs to establish the pack order with the newcomer. I wouldn't expect any problems with a GR and a Lab, but you should keep an eye on the puppy to be sure.

There are others on this forum who have done this exact thing and will have more informed advice for you than I have. But one idea you might try is to bring home a couple items that smell of the puppy (if you're going to be able to visit him before bringing him home), and leave them in the other dogs' beds so they can get used to his smell. It's nice to do that in reverse also if possible.

When we chose Tucker, he was about an hour away, so we visited him a couple times before he came home, and we brought Tess, our older dog, with us on one visit. I made sure the breeder knew her vaccinations were current, and she just kept the other puppies away while we were there. If you're able to do that, it'd be nice.

Another trick I've heard is useful, but can't vouch for, is to introduce the dogs and puppy in a neutral environment that none are attached to so there are no turf issues. Likewise, I've heard that it helps if a non-family person carries the puppy into the house, to avoid instant jealousy from the existing dogs.

Good luck and congratulations! You'll have lots of fun with your new baby, and everybody here will have LOTS of advice for puppy-raising!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Intro of new puppy

My puppy will be about two hours away. I'm going to go up probably end of April, early May to see the puppies. You've given me some great ideas. Thanks

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
When I introduce a new dog, puppy or adult, I keep them seperate for a while. I let them loose in the livingroom, etc., at seperate times so they learn the other one's smells. I also have been known to take a blanket from the new one's crate and put it in the other dogs crates and vise versa. By the time they meet, the initial reaction is more of a 'oh, that's who it is'.

With a puppy and an adult you will have times the adult will growl or put down the puppy, I call it puppy transgretions. The puppy will, just like a child, try the patience of an adult, etc.. The puppy needs to learn manners, proper doggy manners, and the adult dogs will teach him. Usually this is with a good amount of noise, but not hurting the puppy. Puppies often go up to an adult with submissive posture and usually licking towards the mouth. Dakota will still do this to KC occasionally. Dakota is 18 months old and KC is fourteen.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
With a puppy and an adult you will have times the adult will growl or put down the puppy, I call it puppy transgretions. The puppy will, just like a child, try the patience of an adult, etc.. The puppy needs to learn manners, proper doggy manners, and the adult dogs will teach him. Usually this is with a good amount of noise, but not hurting the puppy. .
Thats what I'm going thru now with Libby, Raider and new puppy Tugg. He harasses them non stop. I am just not too sure how long to let it go on. Libby has rolled him and snapped a couple times. Unfortunately the little devil hasn't learned his lesson yet. I just don't want any blood shed.

Reactions: nolefan

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Thats what I'm going thru now with Libby, Raider and new puppy Tugg. He harasses them non stop. I am just not too sure how long to let it go on. Libby has rolled him and snapped a couple times. Unfortunately the little devil hasn't learned his lesson yet. I just don't want any blood shed.
You probably won't have bloodshed. You have to keep an eye on the pup just because he's a baby, but it's really best if the older dogs have the opportunity to establish their pack structure. It's unnerving though. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts