Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

We have a 2 years old retriever boy, very well behaved and sweet. We got a female golden retriever (8months old) yesterday and introduced to our family as well. Our boy has gone crazy now! He won’t listen to us and became very messy. Do you think this will go away with time and transition time? The 7 months old puppy is fine and calm but the boy is finding it rather strange having another one around. Anyone had this sort of situation? Do I just give them time?

thank you!

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,810 Posts
Welcome!

Your new girl and your current boy will both need time to adjust, it will take some time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's normal for a dog getting dominant when a new member comes home, especially if he never lives with other pets. They need some time to adjust to each other. My suggestion is to separate them from different rooms or place a baby gate, so they can get familiar with their sounds, scent, and lifestyle. However, remember to treat them fairly, including foods, playing time, walks time, and rewards... Teaching your boy how to greet a new canine friend or person can greatly improve his socialization as well.
Read more tips here: How To Successfully Introduce A Second Dog Into Your Family. | The Barking Lot

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The first time we introduced a new golden in the family our male golden went bonkers. It took about 3 days for him to calm down and be his normal self again. Every movement or sound in the house, he jumped up to try and find the other dog. It was so bad that we had to put a baby gate up so he would leave her alone. Your male should calm down and be normal again but you may have to endure a few days of chaos. BTW, we adopted another female 5 months ago and my male golden did not have the same crazy reaction this time. Be patient and things will get back to normal!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts